Sorting through Rams' potential OC candididates/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Sorting through Rams' potential offensive coordinator candidates
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ting-through-offensive-coordinator-candidates

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams are one of nearly 10 teams in need of a new offensive coordinator.

Should coach Jeff Fisher decide to go outside the organization for help, he figures to have plenty of competition for the best coordinators on the market.

The Rams could be a tougher sell given the combination of an uncertain quarterback situation, an offensive line in desperate need of repair and the franchise's potential relocation after the season. Adding to that, Fisher and Co. are entering a fourth season in which the heat is only going to increase on their seat should things go awry again, which could mean whoever the coordinator is may not be around for long.

With all of that in mind, here's a look at some of the names that are available and what might or might not be realistic for the Rams:

Staying in house

Tight ends coach Rob Boras: There are others on the current staff with more experience in the league and more experience as a coordinator, but Boras is the one many around the league think has the brightest future as a play caller. In fact, had Vanderbilt hired Brian Schottenheimer as its head coach last year, it's all but certain the Rams were going to promote Boras to coordinator. Boras has been in the NFL for 11 years, all as an assistant, but did spend three years as offensive coordinator at UNLV. Boras knows the system, he knows Fisher and he knows the personnel. It wouldn't be a surprise if he got the job.

Ties to Fisher

Kyle Shanahan: The news just came Thursday that Shanahan and the Cleveland Browns are parting ways. Shanahan is the son of Mike Shanahan, who is one of Fisher's closest friends in the business. Shanahan is considered one of the game's bright young minds and, like Schottenheimer, comes from the strong NFL bloodlines that Fisher seems to prefer. But Shanahan will have no shortage of options. He's interviewing for the head coach job in Buffalo, has been tied to the opening in San Francisco and has drawn interest as the possible coordinator in New York should Dan Quinn get that job. He's one to watch but might be out of the Rams' reach.

Dowell Loggains: Like Shanahan, Loggains parted ways Thursday with the Browns and also has a longstanding relationship with Fisher. Loggains served as offensive quality control coach for Fisher's Tennessee Titans for two years and one as his quarterbacks coach. He then was offensive coordinator in Tennessee for the next name on this list. These ties don't run as deep and Loggains' tenure as offensive coordinator wasn't all that successful, but he's still young. It seems unlikely Fisher would go this direction but it can't be ruled out.

Mike Munchak: You'd be hard pressed to find someone with a longer relationship with Fisher than Munchak. The pair worked together in Houston/Tennessee from 1993 to Fisher's departure after the 2010 season. Munchak was Fisher's offensive line coach for most of that time before replacing Fisher as head coach in 2011. Munchak is now the offensive line coach in Pittsburgh so the Rams would need to seek permission to interview him, but there's no denying that he would fit philosophically and personally.

The known commodities

Marc Trestman: The now former Bears head coach brings plenty of sizzle and is known for his aerial attack. He's been a coordinator four times and was the primary play caller in Chicago and in his time in the CFL. His history and creativity would make him appealing, but it's fair to wonder whether his style is a match for what Fisher wants to be offensively.

Greg Roman: The in-limbo coordinator in San Francisco would make a lot of sense for the Rams philosophically. He's guided one of the league's best rushing attacks with the 49ers and knows the landscape of the NFC West division quite well. It's hard to know what his next move is but he's drawn interest for Buffalo's head coaching spot as well as coordinator gigs in Tampa Bay and Jacksonville. Fisher clearly knows him from playing against him and this would be a logical fit should the Rams go outside the organization and people with close ties to the head coach.

Rob Chudzinski: Similar to Trestman, Chudzinski is known for being a creative, intelligent offensive mind. He's currently a special assistant in Indianapolis but has experience as a coordinator. The Rams actually interviewed him for their head coaching job in 2012 while awaiting word from Fisher. For what it's worth, the Rams really liked Chudzinski at the time but clearly it's Fisher making the ultimate call here.

Others to note

Greg Olson, Marty Mornhinweg: Recently deposed coordinators in Oakland and New York, respectively. Olson has been the Rams' coordinator before under Scott Linehan and did a good job before Linehan undercut his play-calling duties. Mornhinweg is a West Coast disciple who could fall in line with what Fisher wants offensively.

Wouldn't it be fun?

Mike Martz: Yes, yes it would.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I must admit that Boras is intriguing. He did a fantastic job with the Rams TEs, so while there is no way to know if he could do it, I do think he is a good teacher.

Way too risky though, unless Jeff is extremely high on him.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'll be shocked if it isn't Boras. They probably wouldn't have to change much, if any, in terms of verbage. My question is, why should I be happy with his hiring? Fisher doesn't have a good track record with his offenses. Is Boras just going to be more of the same or will he be able to be creative and have the freedom to be creative?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Greg Roman would be a nice hire. Would love to see what Chud or Trestman would have in mind with Tavon. Boras intrigues in that the verbage and system would largely stay the same, but I wonder if he would be any better at playcalling and adjusting than what Shotty was...

Alan

Legend
If Boras thinks he knows how to use Tavon's skill set then why hasn't he imparted this knowledge before now? He did and was ignored? Doubtful because at some point you'd think they would try anything.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer leaving, who’s the best candidate to replace him? Randy Karraker and D’Marco Farr takes a look at the names on Nick Wagoner’s short list.

Listen to Karraker & Farr Talk OC's

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm leaning toward Roman or Chud. If Roman though, I get a feeling TA will not be any more of the game plan than he was with BS - maybe less.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I gotta be honest, this team needs a real spark on offense or the whole coaching staff is gone anyways... so if Boras is this "bright young offensive mind" then I say pull the trigger on him.

There's a very real possibility that whomever we hire is gone after 2 years or even 1 if things don't work out. So I wanna shoot for the stars and go for someone who might bring something wholly new to the position. Maybe Boras is that guy.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I gotta be honest, this team needs a real spark on offense or the whole coaching staff is gone anyways... so if Boras is this "bright young offensive mind" then I say pull the trigger on him.

There's a very real possibility that whomever we hire is gone after 2 years or even 1 if things don't work out. So I wanna shoot for the stars and go for someone who might bring something wholly new to the position. Maybe Boras is that guy.
As long as we don't pull another McDaniels debacle.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
we don't need someone who gets cute. with a rebuilt line it should be an OC with a ground and pound mentality and play action deep threat route running. which gives Tavon all sorts of SPACE. But yes, Martz would still be fun if you could ask him not to get Bradford killed.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
CHUD PLEASE!!!

side note- didn't know that bit about Chud in 2012. Who knows where we'd be if he was selected as head coach. Good to see we interviewd him, shows our org. had an eye for a real play caller. Could be a mike McCarthy type for our team please get it done coach Fish!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wouldnt mind Munchak if he would have input on the Oline.

I forgot about Roman. San Francisco fans were really down on him but they were quick to forget that he was stifled by Kaepernicks inability to execute a full offensive game plan. Roman trimmed the offense way back so Kaepernick onl had to make reads on one side of the field for most plays. Then this year Vernon Davis forgot to show up and Kaepernick seemed to get worse.

Roman would be a good choice.

I still prefer Chudzinski over other candidates though.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Convince Darrell Bevell to make a lateral move.
Boras makes too much sense.
Munchak makes some sense.
Martz doesn't make any sense.
Chud seems to be the favorite around here.

Hey I correctly predicted the return of Gregg Williams. I need a few more days to pick our next OC.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just don't get the love for Roman. The niners fans have been complaining about him at least as much as Ram's fans about BS. Why do those supports here think he wold be a good fit in StL?

I remember seeing someone suggest Scot Loeffler towrd the end of the season. He was a NFL QB coach at one point and has been at Auburn for a couple of years, does that qualify him for a shot in the NFL?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm voting for Roman, merely because of the advantage that gives us within the division and maybe even in evaluating LG Mike Iupati to see how much he still has left. Roman would know the weaknesses of the 49ers defense, and already be caught up on what the challenges of the West bring.