Sorting the Sunday Pile: L.A. Rams legit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Sorting the Sunday Pile: L.A. Rams legit

by Will Brinson

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...egit-sacksonville-and-more-to-know-in-week-1/

The approximately 345 people sitting in the Los Angeles Coliseum got a real rarity on Sunday afternoon: a Rams team playing good football. Los Angeles' on-again-off-again franchise hung a forty burger on the woeful, Andrew Luck-less Colts. And Indy was a big story here: they are a trash football team capable of competing for the top pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. But do not sleep on the possibility of the Rams -- and I swear I'm saying this with a straight face -- competing for the NFC West title.

Sweeping generalizations after one week of football are stupid, but not stupider than preseason predictions. And being nimble with respect to adjusting to what you saw in the first week of the season is critical when you move forward. And what we saw was the Rams, who won by a final of 46-9, looking good in a number of different phases.

For starters, Jared Goff looks like a different quarterback. It would be hard not to perform better than his ugly rookie season last year, but the leap from Jeff Fisher's offense to Sean McVay's paid immediate dividends. Last year, according to Pro Football Focus, Goff went 4 of 17 on targets that were 20 yards or more down the field. No bueno.

It was a totally different story on Sunday, with Goff going vertical with great frequency.

pass-chart-gof219636-2017-reg-1-1505092886441.jpg

via NFL.com / Next Gen Stats
Yes, that is four 20-plus yard passes on Sunday alone, including a dime to rookie receiver Cooper Kupp.

Kupp, who finished the day with four catches (on six targets) for 76 yards and a touchdown, is going to be a hot name on the Fantasy waiver wire this week, and with good reason. He could be a PPR monster, and he's going to become Goff's security blanket. He's a legit weapon.

Todd Gurley had a distinctly better air of happiness to his running on Sunday. He found the end zone, and although he only ran for 40 yards on 19 carries, he looked closer to his old self than he did that miserable 2016 version. It's pretty clear playing in a middle school offense all of last year wore on him.

And Sammy Watkins also finished 5 for 5 in terms of targets and catches. Goff might have multiple viable weapons on this roster now, along with a half decent running game.

~lyser

Rookie
The Colts w/o Luck are a bad team. However, good teams destroy the bad teams on their schedule, and that is exactly what the Rams did. I expect the offense to be inconsistent, but that defense is fierce and will keep them in games against anybody.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thanks for the chart @Zero ....interesting that the incompletions are on the right side....I'm sure that'll get cleaned up.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Thanks for the chart @Zero ....interesting that the incompletions are on the right side....I'm sure that'll get cleaned up.

Was just looking at that. Good corner or reciever miscommunication? Or does Goff not throw well to the right?

I'll check the tape today, looks interesting though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think two of those incompletions short right were throw aways.

Psycho_X

Legend
That lone white dot in the middle is Kupps drop.

Bench his ass

That was a bad drop but I'm willing to bet Kupp is the type of guy who hits the jugg machine extra hard because it is gnawing at him since it happened. Unlike some past WRs who probably never gave their blatant drops a second thought.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
he throws the ball away to his right most of the time. one throw was a WR feet problem one was outside and the others were throw aways I believe

Psycho_X

Legend
All of those long ones were stud NFL QB throws too. The pass to Robert Woods through triple coverage, the perfect over the shoulder drop to Gerald Everrett down the sideline, and the dime to Kupp of course. Goff can make some amazing throws when he has a clean pocket. Throwing against pressure will be hit or miss until he gets more experience I'm sure but you can't deny how perfect most of his throws were Sunday.

jjab360

Legend

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I don't know who that chick is but she just became my least favorite sports personality of all time with just one little 2 minute clip, that takes true talent. I mean, that voice.. that face.. that idiotic Seahag slurping babble. OMFG just make it stop.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: perfect example of a SEAHAG hahaha

rdw

Pro Bowler
That was a bad drop but I'm willing to bet Kupp is the type of guy who hits the jugg machine extra hard because it is gnawing at him since it happened. Unlike some past WRs who probably never gave their blatant drops a second thought.
giphy.gif