Something to consider as we look to 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
And that doesn't mean I've given up on 2015, I just like to think ahead.

Through 7 weeks (6 games for us) this season:

Three of our top 5 players in number of defensive snaps taken will be UFAs next season and all three of those start in the secondary (Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod). We've had 429 defensive snaps with a total of 2,252 snaps taken by players listed as DBs (Barron isn't always playing like a DB). 1,456 of those snaps were taken by players who are UFAs (the previously mentioned 3 plus Barron) at the end of the season, or 65%.

We have a lot to replace, especially in the secondary, so hopefully we can resign most of our guys.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm sure KD has a plan. He has done well with the recent resignings and with so much of the roster made up of players still under their rookie contract, dont see this trend ending anytime soon, I'm sure KD will work it out.

WestCoastRam

Legend
We have to let one of the corners walk. There's just no way to pay both. Jenkins is playing at a probowl level so far. Try to sign him and hope Gaines comes back from injury and plays like he did (remember, there were many who felt he would beat out Johnson for a starting spot this year) McLeod... well, he's done well but he's probably a Barksdale kinda guy who if we're smart, we have to set a price and not budge from it. We can't afford to overpay an above average player. That's how you destroy a team.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
We'll be fine, Demoff likes to front load contracts to make the cap situation favorable in the future. If Long and Laurinaitis are willing to restructure, it should be enough to re-sign Jenkins and Johnson.

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure what the going rate is for second contracts for our DBs but I think it is doable under the cap. Seems like most of our FA money needs to go to defense this year and we probably need to resign Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod, Barron and Hayes. I'm ambivalent about resigning Fairley and Sims.

We have only one offensive player who needs to be resigned - Barnes. Out of all of the rest of our offensive players, the only ones not under contract for 2016 who have an appreciable number of offensive snaps are B. Cunningham, Harkey, and Quick. The first two are RFAs. Only Barnes and Quick are UFAs and neither will command a huge salary.

I think the estimate is that we have about $40 mil in cap next season with around $8 mil needed for draft picks. Leaves $32 mil (before any cuts or restructures) to resign Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod, Barron, Hayes and Barnes. It can be done.

Stel

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just some casual observations about second contracts signed by the previous draft class (2011) DBs who seem to have "made it."
CB Patrick Peterson, 5/$70 mil with $16.5 mil gtd
CB Jimmy Smith, 4/$41 mil with $21 mil gtd
CB Chris Culliver, 4/$32 mil with $16 mil gtd
CB Buster Skrine, 4/$25 with $13 mil gtd

S Aaron Williams, 4/$26 mil with $8.75 mil gtd
S Marcus Gilchrist, 4/$22 mil with $3.5 mil gtd
S Rahim Moore, 3/$12 mil with $4 mil gtd

All of these contract were fairly level, meaning the cap hit was evenly divided over the life of the contract.

I'd put Jenkins closer to Smith than Peterson, Johnson closer to Skrine than Smith, McLeod closer to Moore than Williams. Just for fun and games, something like:
Jenkins - 5/$55 mil with $25 mil gtd (would currently make him the 5th highest paid CB in 2016)
Johnson - 4/$30 mil with $15 mil gtd (would currently make him the 17th highest paid CB in 2016)
McLeod - 4/$22 with $7.5 mil gtd (would currently make him the 7th highest paid FS in 2016)
And I think a may be a bit generous on some of my proposed contracts.

Total cap hit for 2016: $11 + $7.5 + $5.5 = $24 mil. Still have $8 mil to resign Barron and Barnes, with no cuts or restructures.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It's a fascinating thread topic, Stel.

But it's still October. And I'm very focused on seeing a possible playoff season unfold.

Besides, I have a ton of confidence that Demoff and our FO have already planned ahead for all eventualities.

We have much depth and many options at DE, DT, and CB.

Plus 4 picks in the top 80-85 (approx) in a draft that seems deep in positions that match our perceived needs.

Also, there is the possibility of freeing up further cap dollars via reducing contracts for Cook, Long, and J Lau. Or maybe outright releasing them because we draft their replacements.

The possible strategies are almost endless now that we have a fairly deep and talented roster.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod
One thing in the Rams favor for resigning these three is the fact that with another season under their belt they will be a huge part of the number one defense in the league and they know it. ;)
Go Defense...:lifting:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
@Stel
I liked your breakdown....and you had me until I read this:
:palm:

OH HELL NO!!:gtfo:!!!!:argue:o_O:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::censored::censored::censored::censored::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::wtf::wtf::hellno::hellno::hellno:

Well you know I am a big Rodney McLeod fan......but Snead/Fisher have some other DB's who could take up Rod's post very easily if there was a need. But Rod is a RFA in 2016 so if true Rod has only a few options here. Rod is sure in no position to demand too much more than what he got this season $ 2.356 mil

Rod current back up is Cody Davis, Cody just happens to be a RFA too. Once again Cody does not have many options either. The rest of the possible replacements for Rod post are all under contract in 2016:
#1- TJ McDonald
#2- CB Bryant
#3- Mo Alexander
#4- Lamarcus Joyner

It's been known forever that neither Fisher nor Snead will be willing to invest big $$$ at safety....on top of that they also have so many other much cheaper options are there in their face. If they pay big for a DB its going to be @ CB!

Rainram

Starter
And then the following year we're looking at

Tavon Austin
Brockers
McDonald - Much more or a priority over McLeod
Ogletree

I mean all of these are guys we must keep. We could 'potentially' move on from one of our CBs and even McLeod. I know we're talking 2 years away, and that's a long time from now. But there's some money that gets shelled out for this bunch.

Over this off-season and next it will be interesting to see what we do with Long's very hefty salary.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Rod is a RFA in 2016
I think this was discussed before and concluded he is unrestricted now? I know Sportrac and overthecap have him listed as RFA, but I think that's wrong. See http://www.profootballrumors.com/2015-free-agents/

"30 restricted free agents signed one-year tenders and will play out the 2015 season on those contracts, unless they reach longer-term deals at some point before the end of the year. These 30 players will subsequently be eligible for unrestricted free agency in March of 2016, assuming they’re not franchised or extended before then."

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm no capologist(far from it) but IMO you simply have to not re-sign or decide to cut bait on the older guys a little earlier than you'd like to, kind of like the Steelers, Packers, Ravens have done over the years. Build and trust your program. Keep drafting well and stay out of the big time FA market.
Chris Long, Saffold, Cook, Britt...if it comes down to keeping a strong young secondary together you look at other areas where there is depth, or young talent already in place. I look at our WR's and besides Tavon i see no one that shouldn't be looked at as an area of opportunity in terms of upgrades.
The DLine talent and depth is good. The OLine is young, cheap and hopefully is an area you can avoid spending $$$ on in the near future.

We need to secure both JJ & Tru. Gaines is not a sure thing to return to 100%. The one area this defense can afford to plug & play is probably LB and FS. I do like McCleod, he's grown into this defense nicely, but i'd like to think that the Rams trust their drafts & scouting program to have the next man up ready to go. You don't fuck around with the DE or CB position in this league. I think we have guys ready to step in for Chris Long. We've seen it.

JMO