Something I keep forgetting to talk about...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fancents86

Starter
Last week I heard the announcer say that Fisher was going to get Watts more involved due to Tavon being out for a few games. Which got me thinking, Watts and Tavon are two totally different types of players, so why are they using them for the same types of plays?? I feel Schotty is only going to use Tavon for more trick plays than as a slot or more traditional WR, which really irks me. Not sure we will really get to see what we want out of Tavon this season.

fancents86

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want to see him out in the open, some deep plays, even a little of slot like Amendola used to be king of. Isn't that why we moved up to get him? Not the plays we've been seeing him in.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Watts has a lot more wiggle than you think he does and he can do some of the stuff that they have Tavon do. Now, I agree that they don't use Tavon nearly as much as a pure receiver as they should, but hopefully that comes with time. He's only played in 1.5 games so we don't know the plans for him yet.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We need to give Tavon at least one end around per game. He usually gets like 20 yards each time. I don't know why we dont use that play alot more often.

fancents86

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One end around is fine, but that's all I've seen him do really. I took the announcers comment as Watts will do what schotty planned for Tavon to do. I love Watts, but let's be real, he's a rb. Tavon is much more versatile than Watts and with a broader skill set. Can you see watts creating space down the field for a deep pass? Exactly. Maybe I misunderstood the announcer, which is what im hoping for.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
One end around is fine, but that's all I've seen him do really. I took the announcers comment as Watts will do what schotty planned for Tavon to do. I love Watts, but let's be real, he's a rb. Tavon is much more versatile than Watts and with a broader skill set. Can you see watts creating space down the field for a deep pass? Exactly. Maybe I misunderstood the announcer, which is what im hoping for.

No, the comment meant that Watts will do some of the backfield stuff, like the outside runs and tosses that we give to Tavon, because he can do those. Obviously Watts isn't Tavon, but the fact that Watts can execute some of those things well means we don't have to change our playbook and gameplans that much. He's not meaning that Watts is going to play in the slot or outside WR.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Fisher talked about Tavon having a "package" of plays which seem to be designed to use him and get him involved. I agree I don't really like it. I think he's better than just being a "gadget" player and he should get more reps as a traditional receiver. Yes we should take advantage of his ability by using him on end arounds, reverses, bubble screens and drag routes where he gets in motion pre-snap but he also has the ability to be a big time receiver in the traditional mould. If you watch his games in particular against Carolina and Indianapolis last year you can see that ability in flashes and he needs to do a better job of being more consistent. In addition, the coaching staff need to commit to working him as a real receiver and getting the ball to him (with him already moving and up close to full speed to get the best of him).

In many ways the fact you seem to have to get him up to full speed in motion before getting him the ball seems disappointing because a lot of the talk about him when he was drafted was about his quickness. Mike Mayock called him the quickest player he'd ever seen coming out of college - and I thought it was going to be his ability to get moving FAST from stop that would create separation and turn short passes etc into TDs.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Tavon needs to get about 10-12 touches per game. Plays need to be designed where he can get into open space and use his athleticism and speed. Lining him up in the backfield and running him between the tackles won't do that. If you want him in the backfield, then motion him out so a LB'er has to chase him. Or run him in a "Wildcat" formation and have him run sweeps with the TE/H-Back leading. He is a guy you need to get into motion so at the snap of the ball he is at full speed to gain separation.