Some questions about pending ‘20 Ram UFA’s after watching 5 games...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, it’s waaaaay early, but still... just for funsies, anyway.

After seeing the first 5 games, almost a third of the season, here are my opinions as to extending some key ‘20 Ram UFA’s. Caution: I’m coming down on the ruthless side so some posters might be surprised or offended.

Whitworth. Goner.
Blythe. He’s 50-50, but probably allowed to walk unless he really shines in the next 11 games.

I think that’s it on the significant O UFA’s. Now let’s do the much longer D list. And let’s don’t forget that the D currently seems to be the side struggling the most.

Fowler. Goner, because he just hasn’t earned that big payday as yet.
Brockers. Probably a goner. Salary too high based upon so-so production on field.
Talib. Goner. Father Time has caught up with this formerly great CB and his salary would be too high, anyway. More bang for the buck with other FA CB’s or a high draft pick.
Peters. Goner, unless he really blows it up in these next 11 games. Too hit and miss, too immature. I think the Rams move on.
Littleton. Extend. A no-brainer.
Zuerlein. Extend. Another no-brainer.
Troy Hill. Very iffy, better be willing to sign inexpensively.
Hager. Another iffy, better shine plus be willing to sign inexpensively.
Bortles. Goner because he’ll get a nice offer to perhaps be a starter elsewhere.
Fox. Can’t decide just yet. Need a larger sample. Better be willing to sign inexpensively, too.
Christian. Probably a goner. Seems very replaceable.

So I guess I only see 2 likely extensions out of the 11 significant upcoming UFA’s on D.

How do you guys see it?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Probably the same. We are gonna have to fill in some gaps with FAs and hope to god some of these young guys develop. I think Peter's is 50-50 only because he might be a lot cheaper than we think w the way hes been playing the last two years. I think they will let him test the market and from the looks of it no one should really give him a bloated contract. But who knows.
We definitely have some work to do this OS I just hope we score with some good draft picks

nighttrain

Legend
Probably the same. We are gonna have to fill in some gaps with FAs and hope to god some of these young guys develop. I think Peter's is 50-50 only because he might be a lot cheaper than we think w the way hes been playing the last two years. I think they will let him test the market and from the looks of it no one should really give him a bloated contract. But who knows.
We definitely have some work to do this OS I just hope we score with some good draft picks
same thots about Fowler
train

Zodi

Hall of Fame
This is Wade's last year with the team unless he's extended and doesn't retire. Perfect time to retool the defense if that's the direction we're going.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think Peter's is 50-50 only because he might be a lot cheaper than we think w the way hes been playing the last two years.

The way he has played will probably keep Snead from asking Demoff to do a deal.

He can't be trusted to cover with any consistency whatsoever and once a player becomes that much of a liability they have to go.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Troy Hill is signed thru 2020 and will be a 2021 free agent.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I don't see it much differently honestly. Looks like our top concerns in draft are what we expected: O-Line, CB, LB, and D Line. Would be nice to have another good MLB out there, particularly if we cannot resign Littleton. Its been a long time since we had a dominate Middle backer, and they make a big difference. Also, have to REALLY hope that David Long develops into starter level, or we will be extremely lacking at CB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So much comes down to how this season goes. So much ball left it's hard to focus on the offseason for me, because many of the decisions will consider how they play the remainder of the year.

Here's the guys I am sure I would keep though:

1. Littleton. As 43 said it's a no-brainer. But locking up another vet is going to cost us moving forward in some of those other role types.

2. Talib. He still fits this defense and plays solid ball. Need another good corner next to him. But more importantly I don't want to draft two starting corners plus a LT. He loves this defense, think they can get him done with something both sides are good with.

3. Fox. Underrated depth player who I think they can get done. If they let Brock get paid in FA (which I agree with) it's going to be important to retain Fox.

Also I think they hire Big Whit as their new OL offensive assistant. Keeps him and his steady mindset around this line which is a good thing.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
A huge key for this team going forward will be the development of those young OLBs. Obo, Patrick, and Durham. Then of course CB David Long has to hit.

If those guys can play, it opens up the draft to restock the DL and maybe bring in a blue chip OG to play LG or RG.

I see Noteboom going to LT, Edwards possibly at RT, Havenstein moving to RG, and Evans can fight it out with a stud rookie or maybe a vet FA OG.

If Allen struggles, then maybe a Center as well.

The Rams are projected to get a 3rd round comp pick, so that is 4 picks in the top 100. And likely Snead picks up another with a trade down.

So 5 Picks can net them:

2- DL
1- CB
1- OL
1- OLB.... If the young guys show nothing... Or maybe a new WR/TE option.

Last edited:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
If we dont sign any of those guys, we have to spend money somewhere. Those are high dollar positions. Maybe we sign the best guard/tackle depending on what they do with Boom.

Will our top pick be O line or CB?

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
If we dont sign any of those guys, we have to spend money somewhere. Those are high dollar positions. Maybe we sign the best guard/tackle depending on what they do with Boom.

I'm leaning towards CB but I rarely hit on what Snead does draft wise!!

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram

100% agree.
We have a huge dilemma.
If we let brockers, fowler, Peters, and talib go, then how do we replace them when we need a fix on the OL?
I'm hoping our OL improves rapidly, has looked better.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I think Fowler may be back depending on what happens with Matthews and also how Obo and Ebukam look. Talib may be back because I don't think you want to replace two starters at CB.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Fowler may be back depending on what happens with Matthews and also how Obo and Ebukam look. Talib may be back because I don't think you want to replace two starters at CB.

I doubt that Fowler is extended for $14-18 million unless he really steps it up. More affordable FA’s or a draft pick make more sense, don’t you think?

it pains me to say this but Talib is slipping. And it will probably get worse next year. We’ve gotta bite the bullet and either sign a vet or use a high draft pick to replace him. Either strategy would yield more bang for fewer bucks.

Rams must receive top production from players demanding the big salaries. Let other teams make those mistakes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
A huge key for this team going forward will be the development of those young OLBs. Obo, Patrick, and Durham. Then of course CB David Long has to hit.

If those guys can play, it opens up the draft to restock the DL and maybe bring in a blue chip OG to play LG or RG.

I see Noteboom going to LT, Edwards possibly at RT, Havenstein moving to RG, and Evans can fight it out with a stud rookie or maybe a vet FA OG.

If Allen struggles, then maybe a Center as well.
It's just as possible that the OL develops through the remainder of the season as it is the OLBs do. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth we're hearing right now will be gone if that group strings together a few good games. The media isn't the only element that's all about "what have you done for me lately" in this league... Fans are the same way.

Allen has been pretty damn good tbh. Anyone who expects perfection in a young lineman is nuts. It happens, but it's rare. He has shown excellent mobility and second level blocking in the run game, and solid pass blocking. If they were to find one of those rare type Centers in this draft then sure, take him, but I think Allen would move right into a Guard position for us and do a great job. He's gonna be a Ram for a while.

Boom's been a disappointment in the run game but it's the same thing with him. He's a good pass blocker who is going to need snaps and time to get where he needs to be. Saff wasn't the Saff who just got paid at the beginning of his career, he got stronger and stronger each year to include rebuilt shoulders to be the guy he is now. Guy like Boom is going to keep working and improving, this ain't no Greg Robinson situation.

If they don't improve as we go forward then the Rams will inevitably draft earlier than usual and they can go get a LT in that earlier round one range along with another guy later for the pipeline. But I'd be surprised if they're not much better in the second half of the season. In fact I think over the next few games we'll see them settle in more and more and the fans will move on to other areas they're upset about.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I doubt that Fowler is extended for $14-18 million unless he really steps it up. More affordable FA’s or a draft pick make more sense, don’t you think?

it pains me to say this but Talib is slipping. And it will probably get worse next year. We’ve gotta bite the bullet and either sign a vet or use a high draft pick to replace him. Either strategy would yield more bang for fewer bucks.

Rams must receive top production from players demanding the big salaries. Let other teams make those mistakes.
Dante Fowler Jr. Market value has dropped off some. His latest is approx $43 mil. For a 4 yr contract with an average yearly salary @ approx $10.5 million. This 2020 cap cost may be in play. One thing to remind ourselves is the Rams have an extra large youthful cadre of OLB/ER's signed for the 2020. Besides Matthews who is up there in age the rest 1/2 dozen are very young.

Three very high priced UFA's Ram defensive veterans DE- Brockers $11.1 mil, CB Talib $8 mil, CB Peters 9.1 mil. have not played up to their paychecks. Peters & Brockers will expect a pay raise. Talib has thus far has demonstrated in five games he needs to think retirement with Andrew Whitworth. UFA Safety Marqui Christian should be replaced on this roster very soon by rookies Nick Scott & Jake Gervase.

I have read the comments above on the reasoning for signing & overpaying for a defective outside corner like Peters is due to the Ram Org. not wanting to replace both starting corners....I believe that's a very bad management decision IMO. Let them both seek contracts elsewhere.

Snead has FIVE corners signed for 2020 ....Troy Hill, David Edwards, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Dont'e Deayon & Darious Williams. Snead also has safeties JJ III & Weddle signed to start with rising star Taylor Rapp ready to start. Add in Scott & Gervase ...all makes a very solid 2020 DB. Just add a few talented drafted outside corners.

The Rams have major issues ongoing @ OG. Noteboom is a OT not a starting OG. Demby, Evans & Edwards are more OT than OG. Keeping starting RG Austin Blythe would be a smart sign @ this point.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dante Fowler Jr. Market value has dropped off some. His latest is approx $43 mil. For a 4 yr contract with an average yearly salary @ approx $10.5 million. This 2020 cap cost may be in play. One thing to remind ourselves is the Rams have an extra large youthful cadre of OLB/ER's signed for the 2020. Besides Matthews who is up there in age the rest 1/2 dozen are very young.

Three very high priced UFA's Ram defensive veterans DE- Brockers $11.1 mil, CB Talib $8 mil, CB Peters 9.1 mil. have not played up to their paychecks. Peters & Brockers will expect a pay raise. Talib has thus far has demonstrated in five games he needs to think retirement with Andrew Whitworth. UFA Safety Marqui Christian should be replaced on this roster very soon by rookies Nick Scott & Jake Gervase.

I have read the comments above on the reasoning for signing & overpaying for a defective outside corner like Peters is due to the Ram Org. not wanting to replace both starting corners....I believe that's a very bad management decision IMO. Let them both seek contracts elsewhere.

Snead has FIVE corners signed for 2020 ....Troy Hill, David Edwards, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Dont'e Deayon & Darious Williams. Snead also has safeties JJ III & Weddle signed to start with rising star Taylor Rapp ready to start. Add in Scott & Gervase ...all makes a very solid 2020 DB. Just add a few talented drafted outside corners.

The Rams have major issues ongoing @ OG. Noteboom is a OT not a starting OG. Demby, Evans & Edwards are more OT than OG. Keeping starting RG Austin Blythe would be a smart sign @ this point.

‘Nice catch on the projected Fowler salary, Bonifay. Would certainly make an extension more palatable.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It's just as possible that the OL develops through the remainder of the season as it is the OLBs do. All the wailing and gnashing of teeth we're hearing right now will be gone if that group strings together a few good games. The media isn't the only element that's all about "what have you done for me lately" in this league... Fans are the same way.

Allen has been pretty damn good tbh. Anyone who expects perfection in a young lineman is nuts. It happens, but it's rare. He has shown excellent mobility and second level blocking in the run game, and solid pass blocking. If they were to find one of those rare type Centers in this draft then sure, take him, but I think Allen would move right into a Guard position for us and do a great job. He's gonna be a Ram for a while.

Boom's been a disappointment in the run game but it's the same thing with him. He's a good pass blocker who is going to need snaps and time to get where he needs to be. Saff wasn't the Saff who just got paid at the beginning of his career, he got stronger and stronger each year to include rebuilt shoulders to be the guy he is now. Guy like Boom is going to keep working and improving, this ain't no Greg Robinson situation.

If they don't improve as we go forward then the Rams will inevitably draft earlier than usual and they can go get a LT in that earlier round one range along with another guy later for the pipeline. But I'd be surprised if they're not much better in the second half of the season. In fact I think over the next few games we'll see them settle in more and more and the fans will move on to other areas they're upset about.

I agree... My comment on the OL is more about we likley need 2 new starters next year (Blythe FA, Whit retires) and no guarantee it comes from Evans or Edwards.

If the young guys pan out on the OL & LB then its about just upgrading some solid positions to dominant positions.

I mean you have to draft someone... Right?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think we see some retooling in the winter of 2020. But talk about turnover, look at Dallas. 41% of their starters are ufa’s this winter. I can imagine the Rams aren’t far behind.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
When Goff has a clean pocket he, and these WR's, will tear up any defense. With the TE's coming on the Ram receiving corp could be as formidable as any group that has ever been fielded.

1st priority is to get (or keep --- see Saffold) proven OL players who can protect Goff.

I'm also ready to move on from WP and this undersized 3/4 D that still gets pushed all around and remains unable to get pressure on the opposing QB late in games.

We have one Def line player that can get after the QB.

2nd priority is to get three more Def line players who have proven that they, too, can get after the opposing QB's.

I'd gladly keep Talib at the right price as he is smart and scrappy.

Unlike Mr Peters, who will hopefully be displaying his ineffective tackling techinques elsewhere during the 2020 season.