Some personal projections

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
While I admit these are cursory ideas with no “insider” sources, there are logical reasons I believe the following projections are likely.

The Rams Left Tackle of the future is...Rob Havenstein. Both tackles drafted in 19 are too limited athletically for LT but can develop nicely on the right side. Like many, I see Noteboom as the permanent replacement for Saffold and stays at LG who can swing elsewhere if injuries dictate.

Taylor Rapp is Barron’s replacement, not Weddle’s. He will be in several packages this year in a similar role depending on the offense Wade faces.

Henderson should become the primary kick returner. I haven’t seen any discussions on this, but I prefer him to Jo Jo in ball security and sturdiness.

While not a projection, I’m wondering out loud if moving Ekuban inside and Littleton outside has merit. Does anyone else think Samson is stouter and Cory more athletic and therefore slightly miscast?

While many see Long as Talib’s replacement, I just can’t forget how long Wade tried to make Peters a press corner with disastrous results. I’ve seen some call long a slot guy but that sounds silly w NRC on board. While he may or may not be Peter’s replacement, I believe his packages this year will be in that role.

What think ye mates?

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I agree with everything but moving the linebackers around. Littleton might be too small to set the edge as an olb in this defense. I like what they did last year but someone else has to step up and improve on Barron's play inside

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
While I admit these are cursory ideas with no “insider” sources, there are logical reasons I believe the following projections are likely.

The Rams Left Tackle of the future is...Rob Havenstein. Both tackles drafted in 19 are too limited athletically for LT but can develop nicely on the right side. Like many, I see Noteboom as the permanent replacement for Saffold and stays at LG who can swing elsewhere if injuries dictate.

Taylor Rapp is Barron’s replacement, not Weddle’s. He will be in several packages this year in a similar role depending on the offense Wade faces.

Henderson should become the primary kick returner. I haven’t seen any discussions on this, but I prefer him to Jo Jo in ball security and sturdiness.

While not a projection, I’m wondering out loud if moving Ekuban inside and Littleton outside has merit. Does anyone else think Samson is stouter and Cory more athletic and therefore slightly miscast?

While many see Long as Talib’s replacement, I just can’t forget how long Wade tried to make Peters a press corner with disastrous results. I’ve seen some call long a slot guy but that sounds silly w NRC on board. While he may or may not be Peter’s replacement, I believe his packages this year will be in that role.

What think ye mates?

Havenstein is also limited to right tackle. Don't get me wrong; Havenstein is arguably one of the best right tackles in the league, but that's all he is. Noteboom is still the left tackle of the future; I see Evans and Edwards as guards/right tackles.

Rapp is currently replacing Christian in the big nickel package. I see him and JJ3 as the safeties of the future.

Agree with Henderson as a kick returner. I also see him as a potential punt returner as well.

No way do I move Littleton outside. I see the merits in moving Ebukam inside, but I think he stays outside, while moving inside on some packages.

Long is Talib's replacement. Talib is getting older, and since we already have our safeties, I think if he declines, I can see Long moving to Talib's spot. That doesn't mean that Peters stays, but I don't see Talib staying after this contract.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Natson has been a stopgap returner who does nothing else and takes up a roster spot, a turnover waiting to happen. Henderson makes sense as Jojo's replacement.

What they do with Rapp at TC and in pre-season games will tip us off about their plans for him.

I just don't see Havenstien as a LT. He's too slow and plodding. He gets away with it at RT because of his long arms, I don't thinks he's ever taken snaps at LT with the Rams.

Long is a smart guy who reads WR's and QB's very well.

Gains has to be estatic, getting to play between Brockers and Donald, not only will he get a push to his learning curve, they will make his game better.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Good stuff, @leoram

I think you may be right with Rapp. I am not sure about Havenstein at LT. I would lean Noteboom out there.

As long as we are projecting, I see Wade shaking things up a little bit at the D-line. Doing something different with his personnel to address being gashed in the run, and to add blitz packages to maximize Donald’s skills (getting double teams off of him) safety blitzing Rapp, and stunting Fowler and Mathews.

I know Wade is not known as a stunt guy in his career, but Wade is pretty hip, and I see that old dog learning this trick.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Henderson had 25 KO returns for a 19.5 avg in college. He had zero punts. I am sure they will try him there but has hot exactly shown that as a strength,

This year I can see Rapp getting a lot of reps as the third safety in a big nickle and may be some spot duty as Barron replacement. In the future I think they move him around.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

FWIW, Henderson has returned Kick offs, but not Punts, so I don't believe he'll be a punt returner, there is a major difference. Also some of the UDRFA's WR's the Rams have added have not returned punts either. I'm sure they will try guys out, but I don't think it will be Henderson. WR Alex Bachman from Wake Forest has returned punts, but only like 6 or 7 as he was not the primary punt returner for the Demon Deacons and in fairness to Natson, he only fumbled once.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Fumbled once, bobbled MANY times.

Agreed I would be open to somebody else, ball security is priority one as a punt returner, being able to gain additional yardage is gravy.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Austin Proehl did returns punts for North Carolina FWIW and if he's like his father, ball security should be a premium...Very limited in his experience as he returned 6 Punts with an average of 12.8 yards.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Havenstein is also limited to right tackle. Don't get me wrong; Havenstein is arguably one of the best right tackles in the league, but that's all he is. Noteboom is still the left tackle of the future; I see Evans and Edwards as guards/right tackles.

Rapp is currently replacing Christian in the big nickel package. I see him and JJ3 as the safeties of the future.

Agree with Henderson as a kick returner. I also see him as a potential punt returner as well.

No way do I move Littleton outside. I see the merits in moving Ebukam inside, but I think he stays outside, while moving inside on some packages.

Long is Talib's replacement. Talib is getting older, and since we already have our safeties, I think if he declines, I can see Long moving to Talib's spot. That doesn't mean that Peters stays, but I don't see Talib staying after this contract.

What Memento said. With the possible exception of which current Ram CB Long is destined to replace.

I think it is possible that Talib gets a short extension if he plays well this year. Peters, unless he plays very well this year, could be the odd man out. It all depends on how Talib and Peters perform.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

This is something I've been saying for a while now. While some people are still concerned about Peters, I'm not. When Wade finally let Peters play his natural position, off the receiver, Peters improved tremendously. Part of the reason they held Michael Thomas to 36 yards in the NFCCG. Peters will be playing his natural spot from the beginning this year. I think we might see a return to his pro bowl form.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

Taylor Rapp is Barron’s replacement,

While not a projection, I’m wondering out loud if moving Ekuban inside and

While many see Long as Talib’s replacement,

What think ye mates?[/QUOTE]
I usually agree with all that you right; but this time, I find little redemptive material.
Havenstein did great at RT, but still can't handle speed rushers over there--so at LT that would be magnified. ROb is great, but his soooo athletically limited that intelligence and technique can't make up for it.

Rapp is great, too....and ya, on passing downs he will take over for Barron--they implied that already. But, that is not saying so much...who else will do it? Sorry, hope that is not too offensive to you :) I know you are smart.

Yes on Henderson, but returning punts is a question mark....if he could, wow that would save a roster spot!

Ebukam, I like the idea....but, is he Clay Matthews intelligent? Clay, by the way, may got those ILB snaps...but, maybe he can pass rush too; but don't forget OBO!!!!!!!! I like Littleton at OLB on passing downs, actually, but not run downs

Peters---what role?
TO replace NRC or MP? or....I am slow to understand, sorry. I believe Long is a very good player, and will play a man up role when he is called upon. NRC won't be taken out of the slot, probably. Maybe he gets some snaps to rest Talib?? Talib doesn't exert so much out there any more though, does he?

THanks for putting this out there...a lot better than mine!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Natson has been a stopgap returner who does nothing else and takes up a roster spot, a turnover waiting to happen. Henderson makes sense as Jojo's replacement.

What they do with Rapp at TC and in pre-season games will tip us off about their plans for him.

I just don't see Havenstien as a LT. He's too slow and plodding. He gets away with it at RT because of his long arms, I don't thinks he's ever taken snaps at LT with the Rams.

Long is a smart guy who reads WR's and QB's very well.

Gains has to be estatic, getting to play between Brockers and Donald, not only will he get a push to his learning curve, they will make his game better.

Well The Rams went with Copper last season, but was never the same after that Falcons playoff loss. The Rams had to try different players in the go.

Henderson might to put in as a KR/PR. Brown has played as a KR guy over his years. I don’t know how much experience Henderson has is my question.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is something I've been saying for a while now. While some people are still concerned about Peters, I'm not. When Wade finally let Peters play his natural position, off the receiver, Peters improved tremendously. Part of the reason they held Michael Thomas to 36 yards in the NFCCG. Peters will be playing his natural spot from the beginning this year. I think we might see a return to his pro bowl form.

Talib’s injury played a big part of The Rams decline in the Defensive of backfield.

I like the depth & trust Pleasant as a CB’s coach.

I like Kevin Petterson & think he has good cover skills.Was injured last season,but has another NFL year under his belt.

Ramon Richards is a guy that just seems to always flash !! Will see, but guys like this is what I enjoy keeping an eye on.

The Okay St. Guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think Hav is going to be moved. He's such a monster he can win at times even when he's out of position, but he does have problems with speed rushers due to his feet and they're not going to risk Goff's blindside.

IMO Bobby Evans is direct competition for Boom at LT. He's got the raw ability and long arms for LT, question is how does he work and will he fit there when Kromes starts coaching him up. I think the LT backup job is a prime concern, moreso even than LG starter, in terms of identifying who will be earmarked to do it. That's why if Boom settles in at LG as expected and plays well as expected that might end up being his home.

My guess is Evans will end up replacing Big Whit after this season.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m really surprised so many think Evans would make a better LT than Hav. And while Boom has ostensibly drafted as a tackle, I believe the Rams saw the benefits of a guy like Saffold in the LG role and Boom is more similar in that regard.

Again, that’s not the plan this year. Time will tell if I’m right or wrong

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t like small line backers. Barron was hurt too much. I see the same happening to Rapp in that roll.

fearsomefour

Legend
Like the others have said I don't see Havenstien moving to LT.
His limitations would really be exposed over there I think.
Will be very interested to see how the rookie looks this preseason.