Some notes on TEs and offense in general

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First off I genuinely hope Cook watched that game between the Pats and Steelers because THAT is what he should be with his natural talent. Not dropping easy passes and whiffing on blocks. I still think Cookie can be that type of guy for us, but as I have mentioned before I am very short tbh empty is a better word on the hope that it will happen. Consistency and being the guy they can count on, that is what Gronk brings to that offense.

Secondly when you watch Gronk one of the things that makes him so dangerous is the way they get him into the pattern from run formations. It demonstrates how easy it is for any defense to lose track of a target even when you know they have him focused for a given down/distance. From that perspective I think Kendricks might surprise a bit this season.

If I had to guess what an opposing defense's focus priority looks like it would be something along the lines of the following:

1. Tavon
2. Cook
3. Quick

The others are probably somewhat the same and depend on situation, like Givens for example for the safety playing deep. So back to those TEs, I really think if they play well they can be a big part of this offense not being just better but being an actual good unit.

I still have hopes that Bailey finally gets utilized enough to show what he can do, and he has the potential to be top 3 for opposing defenses which would be outstanding for this offense and their ability to get the matchups they want for Foles.

Last but not least this is also why Gurley's addition looms as such a big deal. When they add him all of a sudden teams are really going to have a hard time focusing/removing one thing and shutting this offense down. If he plays to his ability and stays healthy he probably becomes the #1 guy defenses gameplan for and also brings the ancillary benefit of boosting the passing game and Foles in general.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First off I genuinely hope Cook watched that game between the Pats and Steelers because THAT is what he should be with his natural talent. Not dropping easy passes and whiffing on blocks. I still think Cookie can be that type of guy for us, but as I have mentioned before I am very short tbh empty is a better word on the hope that it will happen. Consistency and being the guy they can count on, that is what Gronk brings to that offense.

Secondly when you watch Gronk one of the things that makes him so dangerous is the way they get him into the pattern from run formations. It demonstrates how easy it is for any defense to lose track of a target even when you know they have him focused for a given down/distance. From that perspective I think Kendricks might surprise a bit this season.

If I had to guess what an opposing defense's focus priority looks like it would be something along the lines of the following:

1. Tavon
2. Cook
3. Quick

The others are probably somewhat the same and depend on situation, like Givens for example for the safety playing deep. So back to those TEs, I really think if they play well they can be a big part of this offense not being just better but being an actual good unit.

I still have hopes that Bailey finally gets utilized enough to show what he can do, and he has the potential to be top 3 for opposing defenses which would be outstanding for this offense and their ability to get the matchups they want for Foles.

Last but not least this is also why Gurley's addition looms as such a big deal. When they add him all of a sudden teams are really going to have a hard time focusing/removing one thing and shutting this offense down. If he plays to his ability and stays healthy he probably becomes the #1 guy defenses gameplan for and also brings the ancillary benefit of boosting the passing game and Foles in general.

Excellent post, Merlin. As usual.

Foles, Cook, Austin, Ayers, Fairley, Jenkins, Tru Jo, Joyner, and McLeod all would be well advised to really show up on every snap. There are varying degrees of questions and doubts about each of them.

Some will doubtless pleasantly surprise us. Others may find themselves benched or outright replaced by kids playing college football this fall.

My apologies if this sounds cold hearted, but I just turned 72 this summer. I'm done with the patience thing. It's winnin' time, dammit! Lol.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I re-watched Cooks last game vs KC....I just don't see Gronk playing like this...Cook reminds me of Jimmy Grahm. And I'd like for him to play more like Gronk...But as long as he puts in some effort on blocking, and catches the ones he's supposed to, I'm sure his athletic ability will take over...When is his contract up?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Whatever they do I just hope we see Cook, Kendricks, or whomever running more seam routes this year.