Some general ‘state of the Rams’ thoughts after 10 games...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I haven’t had a chance to re-watch the Bucs game because of the Holiday, but here are a few general thoughts at this point in the season.

Goff has shown since the Dolphin game and the following bye that he can now handle blitzes with lethal results for the opponent. That’s huge.

Akers is giving hints that he deserves more snaps.

Boom is looking like a more than adequate replacement for Big Whit, especially on pass plays. Dang!

ARob is gonna keep getting more and more snaps on that DL which should make Rams VERY difficult to run on.

Rams D almost seems to get better overall results when opponents sell out to stop AD statistically. Apparently, that strategy is backfiring.

We might have something at edge in one of Lewis, Obo, Polite, and Hollins. Still not a fan of Ebu and think he’s a goner next year.

I’m afraid that we might miss the underrated Kiser.

Even missing Rapp and Burgess, the Rams have been said to have the league’s best secondary. It’s driving some elite QB’s nuts, sooooo...

I read somewhere today that McVay deserves kudos for realizing that it was time to move on from Wade Phillips. I agree with that.

While I’m at it, it looks like the Rams were smart about their Gurley, Cooks, Fowler, and Littleton decisions, too.

I still agree that it was smart to let Bones and GZ leave. Problem was that Bonamego hire was a disaster. A problem certain to be corrected next offseason.

Sure hope we can keep Staley for another year or two. Sigh...

I still hope that Rams can find the cap room to extend Floyd. He’s perfect for this Staley D.

Gay might be adequate for the rest of this year. Hate that miss on the 44 yarder, but all the rest that I saw was encouraging.

Rams are a very well balanced team, some pundits have said the best balanced in the league. Running, passing, Offense, Defense. Even the ST are coming along.

I like the Rams chances of going to the SB as well, or better than any other NFC team.

That’s all for now.

Happy Thanksgiving, y’all.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I’d like to someone emerge as another reliable pass rusher. Lewis looks like the front runner to me right now.

Ebukan seems to have taken a step back this year, but played good game Monday night.

Our secondary is a problem...for anybody we play. Even with the injuries, it’s a deep unit with quality players all over the field.

STs suck. Then again, I’m probably just spoiled after watching the Rams steal a game every now and then just because of our exceptional ST play. This is gonna bite us in the butt if it doesn’t tighten up, especially at kicker.

I like that McVay got away from all of those sideline throws and screens (dolphins) and returned to throwing more between the hash marks. Way more effective and the Rams have plenty of players unafraid to go across the middle. I just think most of the Rams wins are impressive in that the offense uses the whole field—we can be very tough to defend.

This rookie class is emerging as a top notch draft. What kinda grade did the experts give us?

I’ve always felt WAY more confident in Noteboom taking over at LT than I ever did with him at LG.

...but all of this euphoria means zilch if we get swept by the 9ers. A win Sunday propels the Rams into the the team to beat.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Our secondary is a problem... for anybody we play. Even with the injuries, it’s a deep unit with quality players all over the field.
Man, you got me. I got the to the ellipsis and was gearing up to argue.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Ebukan seems to have taken a step back this year, but played good game Monday night.

Just when I was ready to let a player "go," he kills it for us. Ebu's sack was the one that affected Brady the most I think, suddenly sweeping his legs out from under him. Then he shut down run plays also.

Maybe our D feels so deep because the players like playing for Staley, and because he gets everybody involved and everybody gets an opp to play?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This D is so Cohesive. I mean, DAMN!

DL
LB
CB
Safeties

No real holes to attack in this Staley system. Look at their stats since Week 4. Reason to look at Week 5 and beyond is because it takes time for players to assimilate this Fangio/Staley D, especially without OTA’s and PS games.

I’ve read estimates of 8 weeks but Rams did it in 4. Color me impressed.

There’s gotta be some kind of Coordinator of the Year award for Staley, don’t you think?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I’d like to someone emerge as another reliable pass rusher. Lewis looks like the front runner to me right now.

Our secondary is a problem...for anybody we play. Even with the injuries, it’s a deep unit with quality players all over the field.

STs suck. Then again, I’m probably just spoiled after watching the Rams steal a game every now and then just because of our exceptional ST play. This is gonna bite us in the butt if it doesn’t tighten up, especially at kicker.

I like that McVay got away from all of those sideline throws and screens (dolphins) and returned to throwing more between the hash marks. Way more effective and the Rams have plenty of players unafraid to go across the middle. I just think most of the Rams wins are impressive in that the offense uses the whole field—we can be very tough to defend.

This rookie class is emerging as a top notch draft. What kinda grade did the experts give us?

I’ve always felt WAY more confident in Noteboom taking over at LT than I ever did with him at LG.

...but all of this euphoria means zilch if we get swept by the 9ers. A win Sunday propels the Rams into the the team to beat.
I think Obo is that guy the soonest and once he's back. Lewis is doing well but imo is still developing as a pass rusher.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
The D is outstanding. The league rules are set up to help offenses score points. Injuries might derail us but even the lack of holding penalties hasn’t stood in our way. Championship...

The O is a surprising concern. We don’t show much consistency from week to week and might come unstuck down the final stretch. I agree, it is time to unleash Akers in a two pronged attack. Brown appears to be the 3rd down back? I like him but think it is time to let him ride the bench in favour of a youth explosion. We lack a big play WR. Reynolds has been excellent but has he lost a step over the top?

Special teams have been terrible apart from our ace. He has to be an all-pro, surely? There is plenty of depth in terms of talent and so the situation seems inexcusable. Can punters make the hall of fame? I ask because it’s not often one defines greatness

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This D is so Cohesive. I mean, DAMN!

DL
LB
CB
Safeties

No real holes to attack in this Staley system. Look at their stats since Week 4. Reason to look at Week 5 and beyond is because it takes time for players to assimilate this Fangio/Staley D, especially without OTA’s and PS games.

I’ve read estimates of 8 weeks but Rams did it in 4. Color me impressed.

There’s gotta be some kind of Coordinator of the Year award for Staley, don’t you think?

The only thing that gives me hope we can keep him is that the NFL is an offense driven league and FOs and owners want someone to guide their new/newer Franchise QB or acquire one and build them up. Defensive coaches generally don't do that.

If Robert Saleh, the DC of the 9ers were an OC with the same results, he'd have been a HC for years now.

So... maybe, just maybe we can keep Staley for another year or so.

What's frustrating is that our guys interview so damn well... I mean, it's one thing to grab up our OC after our Super Bowl year, but to grab our QB coordinator the next year?

McVay's never gonna hold anyone back. The upside is that every other boy genius wants to work for the Rams b/c it seems like a fast track to being an HC in the NFL.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The D is outstanding. The league rules are set up to help offenses score points. Injuries might derail us but even the lack of holding penalties hasn’t stood in our way. Championship...

The O is a surprising concern. We don’t show much consistency from week to week and might come unstuck down the final stretch. I agree, it is time to unleash Akers in a two pronged attack. Brown appears to be the 3rd down back? I like him but think it is time to let him ride the bench in favour of a youth explosion. We lack a big play WR. Reynolds has been excellent but has he lost a step over the top?

Special teams have been terrible apart from our ace. He has to be an all-pro, surely? There is plenty of depth in terms of talent and so the situation seems inexcusable. Can punters make the hall of fame? I ask because it’s not often one defines greatness

I'm expecting the O to come together instead of coming unstuck. Of course, I'm a fan and an optimist.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Personally I have always been “just make the playoffs” mode in 2020. Low home field advantage this year...

Even playoff seeding... the ideal place to be...might be matched up against the NFC East winner... but good luck guessing how to land there right now.

But, this game... after two wins against likely playoff bound teams, this week does have that “feel” to it you are saying. Big win here if we can get it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally I have always been “just make the playoffs” mode in 2020. Low home field advantage this year...

Even playoff seeding... the ideal place to be...might be matched up against the NFC East winner... but good luck guessing how to land there right now.

But, this game... after two wins against likely playoff bound teams, this week does have that “feel” to it you are saying. Big win here if we can get it.
PLUS, I can rock ,my new bone Matt Gay jersey. That'll shut up all those cocky bastids rocking the Blue Bombers Championship gear! ~ @CGI_Ram

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Staley hire was amazing, nobody ever heard of the guy before McVay tabbed him and hopefully we get another year out of him, it's an offensive driven league, but one thing Brandon Staley has over other DC's is that he played QB in college and that could be a difference maker, let's hope not.

John Bonamego was an average ST Coach throughout his career, however, I'm hoping with the addition of Matt Gay, the field goal kicking will improve along with the kick offs & more touchbacks will lead to a better kick off return team....But I would make a change in the offseason, it will be interesting to see if McVay does that.

Joe Noteboom played well in his first game, hopefully he continues that trend. Boom much better pass blocker then run blocker and that is more of a plus at tackle then Guard.

Seems Punter Johnny Hekker wanted the Rams to add Kicker Matt Gay and so did Long Snapper Jake McQuaide besides @Memento communicating that birds of a feather, flock together I believe this is a good thing for the unit and hopefully Gay is able to get to their level.

1606492722785.png

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
I think Staley will hang around. He's just getting his feet wet with a potentially great, and I don't throw that term around often, defence.
Who wouldn't want that on their resume?
We.can take the division title.
Staley has plenty of years in the game.
The draft has been good and the OL has played better than anyone, Rams fans or not, could have imagined.

We just need to be.consistent.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two years ago it was the Defense that had to get a couple of stops to get a win. Now it’s the Offense that has to get just a couple of scores for the defense to wreak havoc.

Both sides are crucial, boy the defense is a thing to watch. I just wish AD would have sacked Brady just once.