Some (being at the) draft thoughts...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Being at the draft this year was a bit of a revelation. It's so easy to get locked into a viewpoint when your limit your experience to audio/video media and the internet. But there is nothing like the face time interaction with other knowledgeable football folks.

I spoke with so many different people who all brought their unique perspective. College coaches, scouts, ex-players, and Draftniks from other teams gave me a fresh look at the draft and I believe it made me smarter. I relate it to playing chess online and from books as compared to going to a tournament and playing face to face against opponents. It's just different and broader in scope.

Just bouncing my views on the Rams in this draft off of different types of people and getting their tone in their viewpoints was invaluable. I tried to synthesize all that I learned with my existing thoughts and came away with a general overview as follows.

The Rams were going to evolve from Fisher's blueprint of the identity that he firmly established after the failed wide open passing game experiment last year. And this draft was going to reinforce it, not take it in another direction or even supplant parts of it, such as drafting Manziel. No knowledgeable person I spoke with thought the Rams would be better served taking Manziel over Donald. I had one coach from UNC actually visually show me what Donald can do that makes him special and why his size works to his advantage. And this guy loved Manziel too, but just not the best choice for the Rams.

I could see that everything they did in this draft fit Fisher's blueprint. Power them upfront on the OL, barrage defenses with a relentless wave of RBs, while attacking their offense with a disruptive attacking defensive front and a hard hitting opportunistic defense. Not one player picked deviated from this theme. No soft, super fast players. I remember Dave Te Thomas saying a couple of weeks ago exactly what the Rams were thinking and he was dead on. Robinson was their guy for weeks now, he said, and they didn't even like Watkins that much. They were never going to pick him. He also said Donald was his favorite player in the draft and a coup for us.

From the moment the 4th safety went off the board at the end of the first round, almost all 2nd round discussions in the hall were about Joyner or Baptiste, surprisingly little support for a WR, even Lee. Theoretically, Joyner just fits perfectly. Then again in the 4th round, Alexander fits also.

This Rams draft was a cohesive coordinated implementation of Fisher's blueprint. Every pick fit within the larger scheme. And it all made perfect sense to me. Will it be successful? No one knows yet. But at least it's not a fragmented mess of adding finesse to a power football team.

And one last thing on a side note. As I was walking into the Hall Thursday night Goodell was outside greeting the fans, taking pictures, and shaking hands. And as I shook Roger's hand I said to him, "you're doing a great job Roger, the Draft is fine in May but don't ever move it out of the Big Apple, it belongs here just as the Hall of Fame belongs in Canton." He winked at me, smiled, and said "thanks".

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thanks for the fine reporting, max. But I would have told Goodell, "WTH were you thinking? Move the draft back to April."

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the fine reporting, max. But I would have told Goodell, "WTH were you thinking? Move the draft back to April."
Understand that. I wanted to emphasize the venue.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
thanks for sharing max, I hope to go next year, its a short train ride from Jersey city

bluecoconuts

Legend
And as I shook Roger's hand I said to him, "you're doing a great job Roger, the Draft is fine in May but don't ever move it out of the Big Apple, it belongs here just as the Hall of Fame belongs in Canton." He winked at me, smiled, and said "thanks".

You bastard

Alan

Legend
I don't care if they move it out of NY as long as they stay in the same time zone.

AND MOVE IT BACK TO APRIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Great job summarizing your expierence. And I must admit, I got the scheme before, but sometimes you weren't sure how one guy or another fit. But sometimes it just takes seeing thing from someone else's viewpoint. I was scared while Donald had a great bit of work, the "Fisher size" guidelines might wipe him off.....then after the draft (that round....) you saw how excited the Rams were to grab him and you realized ....they saw what we had. And he could do it w/o the "usual" specs...... It was so cool to realize, so many of us...were dead on.
But it still is great to hear about your expierence. It defintely makes me envious. But it sounds like a blast....even if it did cost you $5......;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

V3

Hall of Fame
I have to ask, why on earth would you say that the draft was fine in May and that it should stay in NY? Was that a joke? I honestly can't tell. I'm not sure I know of one person who has ever uttered those words. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree with both. Just being honest.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Great job summarizing your expierence. And I must admit, I got the scheme before, but sometimes you weren't sure how one guy or another fit. But sometimes it just takes seeing thing from someone else's viewpoint. I was scared while Donald had a great bit of work, the "Fisher size" guidelines might wipe him off.....then after the draft (that round....) you saw how excited the Rams were to grab him and you realized ....they saw what we had. And he could do it w/o the "usual" specs...... It was so cool to realize, so many of us...were dead on.
But it still is great to hear about your expierence. It defintely makes me envious. But it sounds like a blast....even if it did cost you $5......;):LOL::LOL::LOL:

I spent tons of money in NY this past week, but that $5 Browns fans still pisses me off. Not really because of the money, but more because of what a sleaze bucket the guy was.

rdw

Pro Bowler
the Draft is fine in May
wrQ1nsP.gif

Speeps

Starter
Nice report. And I too agree that this draft flowed very well in terms of the theme.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The draft IS fine in May. Didn't they get their highest ratings ever? People may not like what Goodell does, but it usually ends up being a money maker.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would love to hear that analysis of Donald and how his size works for him

Leverage and center of gravity. The big things for little guys on the DL is arm length. If you have long enough arms and time your punches well, you have an innate advantage. Because you can play higher relative to your size than the OL can which means you're more comfortable, you are able to more easily get low than he can which means you often win the leverage battle (you always hear "low man wins") and get underneath his pads, and you have better balance than he does because your center of gravity is so low.

It's why shorter power HBs are usually much harder to knock off their feet than taller power HBs.

And with a guy like Donald who has such a quick and powerful punch that he times extremely well, it's hard to defend him. Because he explodes off the ball so quickly and can get underneath you with such ease. Once the DL gets underneath the OL's pads, if they are a strong DL, the OL is at their mercy...and basically just has to give ground and hope the DL makes a mistake. Basically, the DL puts him on skates.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Being at the draft this year was a bit of a revelation. It's so easy to get locked into a viewpoint when your limit your experience to audio/video media and the internet. But there is nothing like the face time interaction with other knowledgeable football folks.

I spoke with so many different people who all brought their unique perspective. College coaches, scouts, ex-players, and Draftniks from other teams gave me a fresh look at the draft and I believe it made me smarter. I relate it to playing chess online and from books as compared to going to a tournament and playing face to face against opponents. It's just different and broader in scope.

Just bouncing my views on the Rams in this draft off of different types of people and getting their tone in their viewpoints was invaluable. I tried to synthesize all that I learned with my existing thoughts and came away with a general overview as follows.

The Rams were going to evolve from Fisher's blueprint of the identity that he firmly established after the failed wide open passing game experiment last year. And this draft was going to reinforce it, not take it in another direction or even supplant parts of it, such as drafting Manziel. No knowledgeable person I spoke with thought the Rams would be better served taking Manziel over Donald. I had one coach from UNC actually visually show me what Donald can do that makes him special and why his size works to his advantage. And this guy loved Manziel too, but just not the best choice for the Rams.

I could see that everything they did in this draft fit Fisher's blueprint. Power them upfront on the OL, barrage defenses with a relentless wave of RBs, while attacking their offense with a disruptive attacking defensive front and a hard hitting opportunistic defense. Not one player picked deviated from this theme. No soft, super fast players. I remember Dave Te Thomas saying a couple of weeks ago exactly what the Rams were thinking and he was dead on. Robinson was their guy for weeks now, he said, and they didn't even like Watkins that much. They were never going to pick him. He also said Donald was his favorite player in the draft and a coup for us.

From the moment the 4th safety went off the board at the end of the first round, almost all 2nd round discussions in the hall were about Joyner or Baptiste, surprisingly little support for a WR, even Lee. Theoretically, Joyner just fits perfectly. Then again in the 4th round, Alexander fits also.

This Rams draft was a cohesive coordinated implementation of Fisher's blueprint. Every pick fit within the larger scheme. And it all made perfect sense to me. Will it be successful? No one knows yet. But at least it's not a fragmented mess of adding finesse to a power football team.

And one last thing on a side note. As I was walking into the Hall Thursday night Goodell was outside greeting the fans, taking pictures, and shaking hands. And as I shook Roger's hand I said to him, "you're doing a great job Roger, the Draft is fine in May but don't ever move it out of the Big Apple, it belongs here just as the Hall of Fame belongs in Canton." He winked at me, smiled, and said "thanks".

Hey Max, did you bump into most these people in the Hall or outside in line? I was considering going to the draft his year. Might do it next year. Just wondering where the best discussion takes place.(and when)

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Hey Max, did you bump into most these people in the Hall or outside in line? I was considering going to the draft his year. Might do it next year. Just wondering where the best discussion takes place.(and when)

The best discussions took place outside waiting on line. It's a captive audience out there and you can just chime into any conversation, especially early on Wednesday afternoon when everyone has plenty of energy and is eager to share thoughts. The time just flew by early on. Once I got into the hall it was more getting the latest buzz on where people saw players going in the first and second round. You have got to do it once, it will change your perspective on the draft forever.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I would love tohear from Dmarco Farr about this (wasn't he 6'0" about 280 pounds)...he had some great battles with Kevin Gogan who wa 6'7" (of the 9ers).....I don't see Donald as the next Sapp. Sapp had quickness AND could stand a guard up with Power if he wanted--Sapp is a HOFer; little too early to predict that..Donald could be like Alan Page or John Randle in my book. I don't like Sapp but, I think he was the best DT in 1999-2005

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Max said:
And one last thing on a side note. As I was walking into the Hall Thursday night Goodell was outside greeting the fans, taking pictures, and shaking hands. And as I shook Roger's hand I said to him, "you're doing a great job Roger, the Draft is fine in May but... NAH JK FROM USERNAME
h56436290

Biiiiiiiittttttccccccchhhhh!!!!!!!!! *While running away down times square. /quote

So proud of you Max.:cry: