Softli says Saffold is determined to be best RT in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Tony Softli joined Zach and Rammer to talk about Rams OTAs, Sam Bradford, and the NFC West.

[101]94664487[/101]
<a class="postlink" href="https://soundcloud.com/101sports/5-30-tony-softli-says-rodger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://soundcloud.com/101sports/5-30-t ... ays-rodger</a>

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Re: Softli says Saffold is determined to be best RT in the N

I wouldn't expect anything less with Rodger. The man is a true pro and has great skill and determination. :yeh:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

And I'm sure the rams would pay him as such. As I said in the beginning, best to be paid as the best RT than as an average LT.

paceram

Pro Bowler

biggame1190 said:
I wouldn't expect anything less with Rodger. The man is a true pro and has great skill and determination. :yeh:

A dedicated and happy Rodger Saffold could mean the Rams might have one of the better pair of OT's in the League! If the Rams OL can stay healthy they should be very, very good! I do hope that Saffold has a healthy and productive season and that he re-signs with the Rams before next season!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

paceram said:
biggame1190 said:

A dedicated and happy Rodger Saffold could mean the Rams might have one of the better pair of OT's in the League! If the Rams OL can stay healthy they should be very, very good! I do hope that Saffold has a healthy and productive season and that he re-signs with the Rams before next season!
Man he's about huge right now too. I've never seen him look so beastly before.
(of course that means he'll get suspended for using PEDs now)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I sure hope Saffold stays healthy this year.

A lot of us, myself included, sort of forget how good he can be. I think, at RT, he stands a chance to shine.

Despite his agent working some of us into a frenzy, the guy is a team player and cultural fit on this squad. I hope he's around for many years to come (but I fear this could be his last year with us in lieu of a big payday).

PrometheusFaulk

Starter

If he can get the muscle memory/first step thing resolved of switching from left to right, I'd imagine he'd have a good shot at being one of the better pass pro RTs in the league. One of the things he's going to need to continue to work on in order to get there is finishing off his blocks in the run game, there were some times there where his initial contact was good but he let up a little bit. Obviously given that most of the best pass rushers come from the left side, there's more of an onus on RTs to be powerful run blockers, and Cook probably won't be there to help much (Kendricks definitely can though).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

PrometheusFaulk said:
If he can get the muscle memory/first step thing resolved of switching from left to right, I'd imagine he'd have a good shot at being one of the better pass pro RTs in the league. One of the things he's going to need to continue to work on in order to get there is finishing off his blocks in the run game, there were some times there where his initial contact was good but he let up a little bit. Obviously given that most of the best pass rushers come from the left side, there's more of an onus on RTs to be powerful run blockers, and Cook probably won't be there to help much (Kendricks definitely can though).
Spot on.

Too many people think making a switch from one side of the line to the other is a walk in the park. "Dah, dey is professionals, dey should know wat to do!" Everything is different, and it does take a while to work it out. Swim moves, counters, clubs, rips, spins, they're all coming from the other arm/side on the DE and/or DT and you have to adapt (rather quickly in this case). Once Rodger gets that muscle memory and technique down, he looks to be a dominating and imposing figure on that side of the line. And it's also pretty awesome to have someone who can step into the LT position if something were to happen to Long (knock on wood).

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

X said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
Spot on.

Too many people think making a switch from one side of the line to the other is a walk in the park. "Dah, dey is professionals, dey should know wat to do!" Everything is different, and it does take a while to work it out. Swim moves, counters, clubs, rips, spins, they're all coming from the other arm/side on the DE and/or DT and you have to adapt (rather quickly in this case). Once Rodger gets that muscle memory and technique down, he looks to be a dominating and imposing figure on that side of the line. And it's also pretty awesome to have someone who can step into the LT position if something were to happen to Long (knock on wood).

to be fair, i think the ravens completey changed the oline just before the playoffs. they changed the guys around in there, switched sides. can't give specifics but remember hearing that they had made a few changes to the line.

they, the oline, looked awesome in the playoffs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

kurtfaulk said:
X said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
Spot on.

to be fair, i think the ravens completey changed the oline just before the playoffs. they changed the guys around in there, switched sides. can't give specifics but remember hearing that they had made a few changes to the line.

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, they were doing that all year and the previous year with Oher.
He can play both sides, but neither extremely well.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

I'm happy he's got a good attitude about the switch.
I think he can be a great RT and that means more $$$$$ for him. And as much cap room as the Rams have next year he could fit here long term.

EastRam

Pro Bowler

kurtfaulk said:
X said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
Spot on.

They also changed the O coach.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

X said:
PrometheusFaulk said:
Spot on.

By now most have caught on that I am a super Rodger Saffold (RS)fan...I got hooked up with this wonderful ROD forum during the Saffold press breakout during the Jake Long courting...I was of the opinion that a left side of Long & Saffold @ OLG would be a better combo...I was worried about the flipping from left to right. Saffold has always been a left side player. I also know that it not a easy thing training your elite pro reflex's that an NFL OLT has to the opposite side...but most thought it was a cake walk.....

I would have to trust Paul Boudreau back when this plan was unraveled. Saffold has been getting bigger and thicker since his rookie yr and is a sure bonified thick powerful OL'er that does not fit the prototype size 6-6 to 6-7 310 range that OLT usually go....that we ll know Fisher pays attention too. If you think that RS is still between 310 & 315 lbs on his 6-4 frame you would be seriously off.

Boudreau wisdom on knowing his OL'ers now going into his second season must have made this proposal pitch switch to Fisher. I have observed RS demolish DL'ers on some of the biggest Ram runs for several yrs now & his run blocking has been highly underrated. RS is capable of being a bigger stronger better version of the best Ram ORT ... Jackie Stater! Rams past ORT's of Barry Richardson, Jason Smith, Adam Goldberg, Brandon Gorin & Alex Barron should soon fade from my nightmares.

Once he gets his bettlejuiced head working right instead of left things are going to get unbelievable around here on Sundays late summer & fall. RS will have but one big question to answer.....can he remain healthy & remain on the field effective? Very Big Questions.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Good for Rodger. I really hope we get to keep him for a while.