Softli has Givens ahead of Quick right now.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/08/08102012155145.mp3[/rp3]
http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... 105&type=s

(About the receiver competition, specifically the rookies)
Between Givens and Quick, I think Givens is ahead mentally as far as getting the scheme down and feeling comfortable in the new system. He's shown up better in the redzone and catching the ball deep as well. And even in traffic; what I've seen out of Quick is some inconsistency, a lot of dropped balls, and just not real comfortable right now. Not playing with a lot of confidence is where both those two are right now. And really I would put them behind Gibson, Amendola and Steve Smith in that ranking.

Quick is a player, but when you come from a small level of competition, and I've seen that a lot in my 15 years in the league, in this situation (App State to the NFL), that's a big jump. For Chris Givens, we're going from Wake Forest to the NFL, which is a jump, but it's not as dramatic as the other.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Unfortunately Softli has a point MANY times the difference between players at top D1 schools and small time schools like Appalatian State IS mental.
Thank God Gibson is having a good camp and we can wait for Quick to catch on.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
How long can we wait you suppose?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:
As long as it takes.

If he's not at least 85% there mentally, he won't start. He'll get playing time and have plays that he has down, but he won't be an every-down contributor right away. He'll probably be up to speed at some point during the season and become "the guy", but it may not be right away. Thankfully, Salas, Pettis, Smith and Alexander (and to some extent, Gibson) give us the luxury of bringing Quick along at a natural pace.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
Ramhusker said:
As long as it takes.

If he's not at least 85% there mentally, he won't start. He'll get playing time and have plays that he has down, but he won't be an every-down contributor right away. He'll probably be up to speed at some point during the season and become "the guy", but it may not be right away. Thankfully, Salas, Pettis, Smith and Alexander (and to some extent, Gibson) give us the luxury of bringing Quick along at a natural pace.

Quick may not even get activated early in the season. Barring injury, the starters will be Gibson, DA, and Smith. Givens will get time, if just for his speed. Salas is probably next man up over Quick. That's 5 guys. They probably aren't activating 6 WRs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
max said:
X said:
Ramhusker said:
As long as it takes.

Quick may not even get activated early in the season. Barring injury, the starters will be Gibson, DA, and Smith. Givens will get time, if just for his speed. Salas is probably next man up over Quick. That's 5 guys. They probably aren't activating 6 WRs.
That's a possibility, but I'm not sure I'm on board with it. Snead's been all over this guy since before he was signed on as the Rams GM, and I think there's little chance that he doesn't even get activated. But, you never know. Might happen if he doesn't catch on to the offense right away.

Anonymous

max said:
X said:
Ramhusker said:
As long as it takes.

? If DX could be worked in for plays in 2010, without any training camp and not always able to practice, they will work Quick in too.

I don't think they will have "starters" per se at WR this year. I think it will be mostly matching individual strengths to situations.

One analogy is Avery. Avery came out just as green as Quick if not greener. Same general deal--basically no playbook in college, big leap to playing in the pros. But they worked up situations for him to do what he DID do well at that point.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
max said:
X said:
Ramhusker said:
As long as it takes.

I dont think DX will be a starter. I dont even think he'll make the roster. He has the talent but cant stay healthy. It doesnt matter how good you are if you never play.

6 WRs probably make it. BQ, Givens, Amendola are locks. That leaves 3 spots. My money is on Gibson, Salas, and Smith over DX.

Guard

UDFA
Gasp! :swoon: Rookie Wide Receivers struggling in preseason? Who'da thunk it. There were lots of people busting on guys like Salas, Pettis, and Kendricks last year as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks, and very little time to work into a new offense and NFL level of competition. I think the Rams will now lean on these guys plus Gibson, Amendola, and Smith/Alexander until they (Quick & Givens) are up to speed and gained some confidence.

I think that Fisher and Schott have the right mind set coming into this... they are going to pound the ball early and often, and rely on defense to keep it close.

It is going to be about the Offensive Line, the running game, the TE play, and then the WR Corps... in that order. There is time for this group to develop.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So Pettis gets cut or is there a possible trade market?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramhusker said:

Pettis will stay on at least till his suspension is over most likely. At the end they'll either cut him, or cut someone else if they're struggling/injured.

Quick, Givens, Amendola are more or less locks. Salas as well unless he just doesn't try... So that's 4.. And then Smith, Gibson, DX and Pettis trying out for the last two.. I'd say Smith is pretty safe as long as he's 100% healthy.

So it's Gibson, DX, and Pettis for the last spot. DX has big play potential and physical gifts that nobody else has, but also has the injury history. Gibson is the most reliable and has developed a good report with Bradford, however he has really no upside and has probably reached his ceiling... And then Pettis who has potential to grow over the long term (remember how he was looking good towards the end of the last year), but it's yet to be seen how much of an impact he'll have in the short term.

If I was a betting man, I would say that DX is one of the last cuts and Gibson is either traded for a low draft pick, or released when Pettis gets back... Mostly because Pettis plays special teams though, that can give him the edge he needs. However Gibson seems to stick around, so who knows.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Ramhusker said:

Pettis will stay on at least till his suspension is over most likely. At the end they'll either cut him, or cut someone else if they're struggling/injured.

Quick, Givens, Amendola are more or less locks. Salas as well unless he just doesn't try... So that's 4.. And then Smith, Gibson, DX and Pettis trying out for the last two.. I'd say Smith is pretty safe as long as he's 100% healthy.

So it's Gibson, DX, and Pettis for the last spot. DX has big play potential and physical gifts that nobody else has, but also has the injury history. Gibson is the most reliable and has developed a good report with Bradford, however he has really no upside and has probably reached his ceiling... And then Pettis who has potential to grow over the long term (remember how he was looking good towards the end of the last year), but it's yet to be seen how much of an impact he'll have in the short term.

If I was a betting man, I would say that DX is one of the last cuts and Gibson is either traded for a low draft pick, or released when Pettis gets back... Mostly because Pettis plays special teams though, that can give him the edge he needs. However Gibson seems to stick around, so who knows.

In a way Pettis's suspension actually helps him. IMO he is on the outside looking in and his suspension gives him a shot to stick around and become a injury replacement if we suffer one at WR early on.

F. Mulder

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Ramhusker said:

This is exactly how I see the situation as well. The funny thing about training camp/pre-season is that in MOST situations these things work themselves out either via injury or performance. I have the feeling this "bunch" of WRs will be much more obvious with the exception of the last spot come end of August.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
What I'm looking forward to is how much Danny Amendola has improved as a WR. As good as he was in 2010 it's easy to forget that was his first full season as a main target in the game plan.
Yes he played in 14 games in 09. he started 2 of those. But it wasn't after the bye week that year till he really had his playing time increase. That was also during the Null era at QB. Since last year was a blank for him, this will be his third year of playing.
We really only have seen him in Shumurs offense. Last year was a waste. So I'm curious how much better he can be used.

Guard

UDFA
Yamahopper said:
What I'm looking forward to is how much Danny Amendola has improved as a WR. As good as he was in 2010 it's easy to forget that was his first full season as a main target in the game plan.
Yes he played in 14 games in 09. he started 2 of those. But it wasn't after the bye week that year till he really had his playing time increase. That was also during the Null era at QB. Since last year was a blank for him, this will be his third year of playing.
We really only have seen him in Shumurs offense. Last year was a waste. So I'm curious how much better he can be used.

You know it Yamma! I think DA in underrated and overlooked. He should have a big year this year with Schotty's offense, Bradford's main "Go To" guy, main chain mover, and being healthy. He's the Wes Welker of the Rams. He'll be the leading receiver for the Rams as far as catches and yards. He may not have the highest average, but he's going to be important for the Rams this year.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Thordaddy said:
Unfortunately Softli has a point MANY times the difference between players at top D1 schools and small time schools like Appalatian State IS mental.
Jerry Rice........Mississippi Valley State.
Just sayin'.

GO RAMS!!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sorry but I'm going to pick it right now. Quick IMO becomes a big asset in the red zone right now. Givens is used mostly between the 20s. There is no battle between the two and it matters not who is ahead right NOW. The question I have is where they are in 2013.

I will say that my guess is that even though Givens may look better right now, Quick helps more THIS season. Just a guess but it is because they are likely to have more plays that take advantage of quick mismatches and I think size will play a much bigger role than speed.

And word to Rickrawk on the small school statement. So sick of the qualifier. Just don't tell anyone I actually used the term "word". :7up:

bluecoconuts

Legend
rickrawk said:
Thordaddy said:
Jerry Rice........Mississippi Valley State.
Just sayin'.

GO RAMS!!!!

I like where your heads at.

Anonymous

I think we're going to see WR by committee. With each player used in accordance with his unique strengths. And actually there's a wide variety of different strengths with these different guys: Amendola, Smith, Pettis, Salas, Quick, Givens.

Lately, Softli has been praising Pettis.

But, now, there's games, so, we'll see.