So you want to draft a backup QB.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
There has been much lament and gnashing of teeth over the Rams backup QB position this year, and some of it's well deserved. It is a valid concern if something happens to Bradford for even a couple games, can these guys generate enough offense to win or does that take us out of the playoff picture automatically.

Personally I don't think the backup QB's are as bad as it seems. Playing with the 1's O line, WR's and a trimmed down playbook that fits their skill sets not Bradfords, will make a world of difference for them. I think either Davis or the ghost of Clemens can put enough points on the board. It's unfair to expect those guys to be Bradford.

But the question is, How high of a pick in the draft would you be willing to spend to get a high quality backup that can come in with very little drop off and win some games?
5-7th rd is pretty much of a crap shoot. Yeah you might get one after a few tries and maybe a couple years to develop. (You say Brady was a 6th...I say so was Null).
Or do we say " Yeah, we want to cover the bases just in case and go 2nd or 3rd for a guy that has a higher chance of being a legit NFL QB". Or since they are more plentiful do we go for a read option type even though he dosen't fit the offense he might be able to be a legit enough to put some points up
Here's a few names
Higher end guys
A.J. McCarron
Stephen Morris
David Fales
Derek Carr
Next tier down guys
Logan Thomas
Tyler Russell
Bryn Renner

And if you just want as seamless transition as possible just trade up for Bridgewater Hahah

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I think it'll depend on how healthy Sam stays this season. If he plays all 16 games, I don't think we should go higher then a 4th. If he gets dinged up and our current backups fail to do anything, we might want to go the Kaepernick route and invest a 2nd.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't think you HAVE to draft your backup...but it would be nice to have someone that is perhaps a "has been" behind Bradford, rather than a never was or never will be.

Clemens is just bad. He's always been bad.

A55VA6

Legend
I don't think we need to go draft a backup QB right now. I would rather pick up a veteran QB that can come in and manage the game in case Sam goes down. Clemens is a vet, but he's NOT reliable.

I'm worried about the backup QB spot but if it's Davis I'll be somewhat less concerned. I feel like we'll be limited on what we can do in the passing game, but he's MUCH safer than putting Clemens in there. He's an INT machine and we go against some tough defenses week in, week out. I just wouldn't be able to watch.

Thinking about the backup spot makes me sick. It really makes me appreciate Sam's talent. lol

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I don't want to draft a backup QB. I want to draft a starting quality QB in the later rounds that we utilize as our backup. I didn't see Steve Young on your list but I know he's out there somewhere. Or his clone.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
I don't want to draft a backup QB. I want to draft a starting quality QB in the later rounds that we utilize as our backup. I didn't see Steve Young on your list but I know he's out there somewhere. Or his clone.

Dreaming the dream.
Yeah would be nice. Better yet we get that guy then like Reid did trade that backup trash QB away for a boat load of picks and make the team better.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sum1BTRthnU said:
I don't think you HAVE to draft your backup...but it would be nice to have someone that is perhaps a "has been" behind Bradford, rather than a never was or never will be.

Clemens is just bad. He's always been bad.

I think I'm with you on this. I don't mind using a late RD pick on one and devleoping. But as close as this team is to being relevant I prefer a vet backup with some skill left that can if has to win a couple games. I would hate to lose a very winnable game if Bradford had to come out and have that loss cause the Rams to miss the playoffs.
Unlike a few years ago, we're playing for keeps now.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see the team bring in a vet who can run a competent offense in practice with the 2's and 3's. Too much young talent on this team that needs to be up to speed. Maybe they show it in practice, but Davis/Clemens look absolutley horrific in the games. Beyond that, an AJ McCarron in the 4th round would be nice

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Yamahopper not dreaming my dream:
Dreaming the dream.
Yeah would be nice. Better yet we get that guy then like Reid did trade that backup trash QB away for a boat load of picks and make the team better.

Why draft a guy that you don't think has the potential to be a good starter? If you're just looking for someone to be short term help if your starter goes down then you sign or trade for someone who has failed somewhere else.

To me you have a choice between the two options. How well has Clemens turned out for us? He's old and thus even at the minimum salary for his amount of experience he's too expensive. And for what?

dieterbrock with dual options:
I'd like to see the team bring in a vet who can run a competent offense in practice with the 2's and 3's. Too much young talent on this team that needs to be up to speed. Maybe they show it in practice, but Davis/Clemens look absolutley horrific in the games. Beyond that, an AJ McCarron in the 4th round would be nice

Your second option is my first option. The first option is OK but inefficient in the long run IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
albefree69 said:
Yamahopper not dreaming my dream:
Dreaming the dream.

Why draft a guy that you don't think has the potential to be a good starter? If you're just looking for someone to be short term help if your starter goes down then you sign or trade for someone who has failed somewhere else.

To me you have a choice between the two options. How well has Clemens turned out for us? He's old and thus even at the minimum salary for his amount of experience he's too expensive. And for what?

dieterbrock with dual options:

Your second option is my first option. The first option is OK but inefficient in the long run IMO.

The immediate future with our inexperienced young core is much more of a concern to me than long term. I'd love to see them develop a young QB to be backup for sure long term, but to me, based on the current roster, is putting the cart in front of the horse

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
What about Bernie Kosar?

Seriously, I think they should absolutely draft a backup to develop when the opportunity presents itself.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Draft one in the 4th or later. Drafting any higher only creates "Sam is on a tight leash" bullshit.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
5th or 6th round unless something we think is special falls to us in the 4th.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
dieterbrock said:

At this point, I'm still in the vet mode too.

If a guy is there late in the draft that has boom or bust potential I'd go for it. But, unless Sam stumbles this year I see no reason to invest much draft-currency in a number 2 QB.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram getting spoiled by recent successes:
But, unless Sam stumbles this year I see no reason to invest much draft-currency in a number 2 QB.

:lol:

Attitudes have really changed haven't they?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:
CGI_Ram getting spoiled by recent successes:
But, unless Sam stumbles this year I see no reason to invest much draft-currency in a number 2 QB.

:lol:

Attitudes have really changed haven't they?

:ww: Not mine.

To be honest; Sam's been pretty durable. If the 2011 squad was better he wouldn't have sat with the ankle.

Sure, I alway worry about the QB and his health. But, I don't expect Sam to have performance problems unless his health is a factor.

So the #2 position is low priority for me. Chances are... if it's more than a game or two... we are hose regardless of the #2.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
No I'm talking about how you're worried about wasting a late round pick. When was the last time we worried about that? Times have changed with the advent of Snisher. Now we routinely expect to strike gold with late round picks. I find myself thinking the same way. :lol:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't be opposed to using a mid round pick on a QB if the right one were available.