So, will the ‘19 Rams be better than the ‘18 version?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think so and here’s why.

First, the O...

Sean McVay has had plenty of time to digest the Bear, Eagle, Saints, and Patriot losses. Including the “tells” alluded to by the Patriots. McVay is a fast learner and it’s a safe bet to think that he will now have adjusted and developed counter moves. McVay should be improved. Big Time, actually.

Goff has improved every single year over his previous year since high school. Why should his 3rd year under McVay be any different. Improved.

Todd Gurley? Honestly, I doubt that he will ever be the same. At best, he might be close if given only limited managed snaps. Sorry, hope I’m wrong. Downgrade here.

Darrell Henderson. Huge upgrade. A RB weapon that McVay has been seeking for 3 years. And some tremendous injury insurance, as well.

Brian Allen. A physical upgrade over Sully, but doesn’t have the experience that Sully had. Reportedly football smart, played well in limited snaps, and Kromer likes him. Should get better and better as the season unfolds. Slight upgrade, I think.

Joseph Noteboom. Our future LOT, I think, and should do just fine this year at LG. But Saffold is a hard man to replace, so I have to call this a slight downgrade.

Austin Blythe. At worst, he should be slightly improved if only from more strength training and experience, don’t you think? And there is a possibility that one of Evans or Edwards might blow up and seize that RG spot in camp. In any case, the RG position should be at least slightly improved.

Cooks, Woods, Kupp should be the same if not slightly improved due to experience in this O and familiarity with Goff. I’m calling WR equal, but I think I’m being conservative.

Everett and Higbee. Everett should be improved again this year. He took some big steps forward last year and that trend should continue. Higbee improved a bit last year, himself, although to a lesser degree. TE position should be improved.

So overall, I see an improved O over last year’s very impressive unit. Kinda scary for opponents on our schedule. Lol.

Now, the D...

AD will have another dominating season. I predict fewer sacks, but better run D from him, much like late last year. Equal overall.

Michael Brockers. I suspect that Brockers played hurt last year in a disappointing year (for him). This year is a contract year for him and I expect a biggie. Should be a significant improvement.

Greg Gaines. A double prediction here. Gaines will not only start, but his play will slightly exceed that of the “regular season Suh”. I’m serious. By the last third of the season Gaines will be playing like a quality seasoned vet. I’m calling this equal, but I think I’m being conservative yet again.

Dante Fowler. All he did last season was get better and better in every game as he got acclimated. I see no reason to think that that won’t continue. I predict that Fowler will be improved this year even over late last season, not to mention that he will have a full season to contribute. Big upgrade over last season here.

Samson Ebukam. Not at all sure that he will start, tbh. But the good news is that there will be other possible starters rotating there at Edge opposite Fowler. Matthews (part time), Obo, Fox, ??? Maybe some outside the box schemes that might include Littleton, Rapp, or ??? I get the impression that Wade feels kinda comfortable with his options on that edge. I mean, the Rams didn’t exactly devote tons of draft resources to Edge, did they? Bottom line, I see significant improvement at Edge over last year’s Ebu version.

Cory Littleton. Same. Maybe a tad better if only due to more experience.

Micah Kiser. Honestly, I see him as a 2 down run defender inside. And a better run defender than Barron ever was. It's pretty obvious that Wade likes Kiser and that the Rams did NOT spend draft capital on ILB. Slight upgrade.

Clay Matthews. Mr Versatility, don’t you think? He’s gonna have limited snaps, but he should be able to help both inside and outside, depending on what Wade needs and which players step up either inside or outside. Another big reason that Wade and the Rams didn’t choose to devote draft resources to either position. Big upgrade here.

Aquib Talib. Should be the same if he remains healthy. That means upper echelon CB play on one side. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams coaxed Talib to sign a short extension after this season, tbh. I’m calling this one as same as last year.

Marcus Peters. Peters struggled early on last year but came on very strong in the second half of the season plus the playoffs once Wade adjusted his schemes. I see no reason to assume that MP won’t pick up where he left off last year. That means at least a slight upgrade over last year.

David Long. Won’t be a starter, barring injury, but I mention him for two reasons. At worst, CB gets a HUGE depth upgrade. And if, heaven forbid, there is an extended injury to either Talib or Peters (like last year), then we are in very good hands with the underrated Long. I see Long getting snaps in certain Wade packages and in blowouts this season and I see him as a quality starter in ‘20. Huge upgrade.

John Johnson. Ascending S on the verge of Pro Bowl status. No change from last year.

Eric Weddle. Huge upgrade over Joyner in ‘18. Case closed.

Taylor Rapp. Similar to the David Long situation. Not gonna start, barring injury, but he will see the field in certain Wade designed packages and in blowout situations. Tremendous depth and injury insurance improvement. Weddle’s eventual replacement and one of the bigger draft steals at 61. Huge upgrade over last year.

Overall, I see a substantial improvement over the ‘18 D almost everywhere I look. The D got the lion’s share of help in this draft and I think it will pay dividends this season.

Final conclusion? Yes, this ‘19 Rams team, on paper, is clearly substantially improved over the ‘18 version.

Hot Damn!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Barring major injuries, rams win 15 regular season games, so yes

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we can be better and the schedule is favorable to us in terms of home and away....but I also thought that last year..

Last year at this time:

Rams will be better and should be able to get home field - we get the Vikings and Eagles both at home (the 1 and 2 seeds from the prior year). We ended up going 1-1 against those teams, but the real killer was losing to the Saints, whom I didn't really think of as a threat for home field.

This year:

Rams should be better and had better get home field - we get the Saints and Bears at home this year.

I could easily see the Bears falling back to reality and either the Cowboys, Panthers or Falcons being a team that nobody sees coming (like Chicago last year). I know that last year I certainly had @Chicago circled as a win. It'll probably be the same for Carolina, ATL and Dallas this year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is a potential reason for concern.

In 2017, he played better down the stretch, which included games that Woods was lost to injury. He even played pretty well in the playoff game against Atlanta, with Watkins dropping what should have been a TD that would have kept the Rams alive.

But this year down the stretch his play went the other direction. Hopefully he rebounds, but it'll be something to watch.

Ram65

Legend
I think the schedule/teams they play is harder.

Overall I see a better team. The defense should be better. They have a run stopper or two in the middle with Gaines and SJD. Rapp is a nice upgrade at third safety. Fowler gets a year in the system and should improve. Mathews gives them some pass rush. They only lose Suh and Barron but, add more.

Offense can grow. i think Allen is a big plus of Sully. Henderson adds a dimension while Gurley may lose a little. Kupp all year. Offense should be as good or better.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Super Bowl or Bust....Yeah, I said it!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Goff is a potential reason for concern.

giphy.gif

tempests

Hall of Fame
Don't think the Rams running game or offensive line play will be as strong. Defensively I just hope they get pressure on the QB from other players. Aaron Donald 20.5 sacks, rest of Ram defenders combined 20.5 sacks. That has to change.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately I'm factoring in playing the backups in week 17
Yep...unless our back ups are extraordinary, the team will probably never go 16-0 under McVay.

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
I think we'll be a more dominating team, especially on defense.

What I mean is that we won't get into those games like the Seahawks (x2), Chargers, or Vikings games, where the offense has to be perfect because our defense can't get stops. Our run defense should be improved, and I also think our pass rush will be better as a result. We have stacked more talent on the edge, and I don't think Suh really helped as much as the high-effort guys we can get inside will help over the regular season. I anticipate another patchy year from our corners, as Talib ages and Peters deals with life. We'll see. Love our safeties. Hated Joyner's play last year, as I just don't think he's very competitive on mid to deep passes that are above his head, and am hoping Weddle's smarts will help.

On the other side, I see the offense not being as big-play dependent, with more diverse looks as McVay attempts to change up and broaden his scheme to prevent being shut down like we were in those problem games last year. I think this brings down our scoring, but also just reduces the number of possessions in our games.

Predictions are mostly vapor. And completely based on personal feeling... For individuals:
- I'd expect some slight regression from Talib.
- Statistical regression in terms of sacks from Donald is my hope, in that I don't want him to chase sacks like i feel he did last year, but want to see him take out runners and play soundly in gaps when needed. That said, I think Donald's just getting better, and anything's possible. Mainly, want to see a more well-rounded AD
- Think Goff just gets better. Every time he's faced adversity, he's answered by getting better. Still very young in a scheme that should be adding new wrinkles. Think he and McVay together will only continue to grow more nightmarish and unstoppable for teams.
- Gurley should see less usage. Overall, I think our RB stable can be as productive as last year, but we may lean a little more on the passing game
- O-Line is arcane to me. Could be great, could be problematic... We'll see. I expect consistency though, at this point.
- Others on the team, I expect to be generally on par with last year, with risers and fallers based on situations, snaps, unforeseen things like injuries, epiphanies, etc.

Overall: A solider team, that may or may not win more, but should still win double digit games and be more prepared to dominate in the playoffs

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hard for me to envision the Rams OL being better than last year. There will be growing pains with an older Whit, no Saffold, two new starters at LG and C. I hope I'm wrong.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Yup. They'll pump up his value for free agency - comp 3rd rounder, here we come!

If Goff doesn't get hurt I don't see how blake would be able to show teams evidence of enough improvement to justify starter gig and money. Factor in this years qb haul and next draft being even better and thats why I think there's a decent chance we can get him for a 2nd year on the cheap.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Goff doesn't get hurt I don't see how blake would be able to show teams evidence of enough improvement to justify starter gig and money. Factor in this years qb haul and next draft being even better and thats why I think there's a decent chance we can get him for a 2nd year on the cheap.

I get your point, wolfdogg.

Maybe if Bortles lights it up in preseason?

Or mopping up in blowouts?

Plus, coaches talk among themselves about their players. McVay and this coaching staff strike me as ones that would talk up Bortles if he’s earned it.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I get your point, wolfdogg.

Maybe if Bortles lights it up in preseason?

Or mopping up in blowouts?

Plus, coaches talk among themselves about their players. McVay and this coaching staff strike me as ones that would talk up Bortles if he’s earned it.

Orrr, Mcvay could say enough privately to discourage interest in bortles because id rather have a inexpensive quality backup qb than a 3rd round comp.