So, which Ram rookies are gonna REALLY exceed expectations this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I have no clue, personally, although I have high expectations from this whole draft class. So expectations are already pretty high.

I will say this. I predict that at least 2 of our draftees will be huge positive surprises. I just don’t know which two. Lol.

And I predict that at least one UDFA will really show up and make us ask how he never got drafted.

Okay, I’m gonna stick my neck out and make a guess from among the draftees. And this is hard because I’m so impressed with the whole class, especially the top 5 picks.

Hmmmmm...

This may surprise you, at least a little bit, but my nominee is Gaines. I’ve just got a feeling here. Sure, everybody has high expectations for this kid. But I predict that he will exceed even those already high expectations. Not only do I think he’s gonna be a starter, but I think he’s gonna be a beast next to AD. And I can only imagine what AD will now be able to accomplish.

At least one of Rapp, Henderson, Long, or Edwards will probably exceed our high expectations, too. Heck, maybe all of them.

Ain’t it great to be a Ram fan these days?

fearsomefour

Legend
Gaines.
1) I like the pick so I biased to his success
2) It is a position of need in a good way for Gaines. Meaning he can get meaningful snaps in a limited role.

Long.
I think he will work his way into the field.
If the Nickle and Dime backs struggle like last year I would expect him to get opportunities sooner instead of later.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Taylor Rapp. He can step right into the Marqui Christian role and be that moveable chess piece for Wade. The smart guys have a better chance of contributing early. I expect a ton of 3 safety looks next year.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gaines finds himself being able to break into the NFL between 2 solid vets who have played together for years. He couldn't be in a better situation with any other team. His only limitation will be how much he can absorb.

But my guess for "best rookie" is Long. This kid is glue on WR's. Tackles well too. While some here really like Peters, I don't. Peters needs to take his gang-banging attitude down the road. It doesn't fit here, and too many times I've seen plays where he could have made a tackle but backed off to let someone else come in to do it. Long would fit oppisite of Talib. Let Peters take his "You feel me?" act some where else.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Darrell Henderson as he takes a swing pass the distance against the Saints, buckling their knees...Anyway, this young man is extremely difficult to knock off his feet and has an extra gear, turn your head and he gone!

Bobby Evans....Like Noteboom, the Rams will play him at LT during preseason without incident. Soon we'll come away with the understanding that Evans can play LT at this level and feel much better about the depth along the offensive line.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kendall Blanton. I think he'll become the new third tight end, and as an undrafted rookie, he already doesn't have many expectations.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After thinking about it, is Henderson almost too obvious?

Damn! This is hard.

So many players with so much potential...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/30/nfl-draft-rams-best-quote-picks-rookies/
Best quote from Rams coaches, GM about every 2019 draft pick
By: Cameron DaSilva

A team never makes a draft pick that it’s not excited about in one way or another. Sure, it might not have been the front office’s ideal target, but every pick is made with some kind of plan. That’s certainly the case for the Los Angeles Rams, whether it’s their top pick Taylor Rapp or their final one, Dakota Allen.

Ideally, all eight of their rookie selections will contribute in 2019, but not every first-year player makes the 53-man roster – especially on a team that just reached the Super Bowl. Les Snead, Sean McVay, Wade Phillips and other coaches think highly of the players brought in during the draft and shared their thoughts about them

Here’s the best thing the Rams have said about each draft pick so far.

McVay on Taylor Rapp
“He’s one of the guys that jumps off the screen,” McVay said on Friday night. “He’s got unbelievable instincts – talk about a guy that has a feel for navigating traffic and being able to make knife tackles as a blitzer. He’s playing in the box – extremely instinctual. And that’s where you just look at the tape, you talk about the short-space quickness. A lot of the things that you love so much about Eric (Weddle) and ‘JJ’ (John Johnson III) – we feel like Taylor (Rapp) has a lot of those similar traits and characteristics.”

McVay on Darrell Henderson
“This had to do with his skill set,” Snead said of why the Rams drafted Henderson. “He was a player that we identified as a unique playmaker. He can obviously so some things as a runner, but the versatility that he provides and some of the things that he can do are what was so enticing about him for us. You see the explosiveness – over eight yards a carry. There’s a lot of good things that you’d seen with what he’s done and his résumé at Memphis. We’re excited to get him in here and get to work and really learn under Todd and Malcolm.”

McVay on David Long
“When you get into David Long, the character is off the charts and he is a guy that has a skillset, the ability to come off and play man coverage, be able to play physical and be able to stay in guys’ back hips and mirror,” McVay said Friday. “You can see he is able cancel routes out as he goes and he just shows up and in a really, really productive defense over the last couple years. This was one of the best corners based off a production standpoint and another guy that loves football.”

Snead on Bobby Evans
“We still needed depth, so that’s where we added Evans tonight. And he’s the guy who’s played right and left tackle for Oklahoma, and as you know, Aaron Kromer – he’s going to slide him in at left guard and right guard, too. So, there’s some versatility there. He’s a really smart and intelligent player there that can learn all four,” Snead said after Day 2.

D-line coach Eric Henderson on Greg Gaines
“The thing you like about Greg is he’s a true grinder,” Henderson said. “I think he can really help us in run defense up front, being able to take on those double teams and split guys and make plays in the backfield. You’ve gotta have some tough guys inside. Greg provides that toughness for us. We like what he’d be able to bring to the table and be able to help us from a substitution standpoint, staying fresh and being able to really, really help improve our rush defense on first and second down situations.”

Snead on David Edwards
“He did play this year through an injury, you give him credit for that, he was toughing it out, so you go back and watch him play,” he said following Day 3 of the draft. “I know we were talking this morning about how he did well against (Patriots third-round draft choice) Chase Winovich back in the 2017 season. You kind of dig deep and go back to when he was healthy and see what he might be when he is healthy, those types of things are what you try to do.”

Phillips on Nick Scott
“We appreciate you, that’s why we picked you, baby,” Phillips said on the draft-day call to Scott. “I know you play special teams, but we’re looking forward to you playing safety, too, now. On special teams, you’re great at that. but I think you have a chance to be a great safety, too, so let’s look forward to that.”

Snead on Dakota Allen
“I do know what was really neat going through the process was – the mistake he made at Texas Tech – there were people at Texas Tech who definitely fought for him to get a second chance based on who he was,” Snead said after the draft. “Great phone call today. I think it was one of our favorites because you can tell he was definitely appreciative to get this opportunity. Fun football player to watch. It was one of those situations where Coach (Joe) Barry and Coach ‘Bones’ were on board and we all know how those linebackers are that maybe aren’t starting, they’re covering a lot of kicks for us, hopefully.”

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gaines finds himself being able to break into the NFL between 2 solid vets who have played together for years. He couldn't be in a better situation with any other team. His only limitation will be how much he can absorb.

But my guess for "best rookie" is Long. This kid is glue on WR's. Tackles well too. While some here really like Peters, I don't. Peters needs to take his gang-banging attitude down the road. It doesn't fit here, and too many times I've seen plays where he could have made a tackle but backed off to let someone else come in to do it. Long would fit oppisite of Talib. Let Peters take his "You feel me?" act some where else.

Well I think your missing Peters growth. McVay excused him from OTA’s to be with his first born. He’s showed a lot of maturity throughout the playoffs.
Wade understands his game mire as well,so yes Long is more of a press CB & gives The Rams that dimension & depth the team needed. Peters might be expensive to resign next year as well ??
— Talk all your BS about him that you want. I personally think he will have a career year. Him holding his junk going into the end zone was weak, & yes he comes from a different side of town. In Peters heart of hearts , I think he has his in the right place & that is what makes The Rams organization with McVay so COOL !! He likes the Swag & players having fun for the love of the game.

Old School might have a day in this as well.Mcvay does keep it real.

My question is what happened to The Rams Trainer ??? Mr. Energy ??

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Taylor Rapp. He can step right into the Marqui Christian role and be that moveable chess piece for Wade. The smart guys have a better chance of contributing early. I expect a ton of 3 safety looks next year.

Good. Anyone is better than Christian, that guy was absolutely terrible

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I thinks this makes a lot of sense !! Look back at how much Joyner fell off last season as a franchise guy.

Eric Weddle is going to be such as stud for this Rams defense. Now you add a guy like Rapp for M. Christian & the upgrade is going to be huge.Wade will be able to add some nice blitz packages.

I’m not sold on Clay Matthews & The Rams LBers ?? Really like Littleton, but not sure he will be the Green helmet guy this season again ?? There is question marks. Kiser looks heavy & slow . Will see how players get in shape over the
Next few months.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Darrell Henderson
Bobby Evans....Like Noteboom, the Rams will play him at LT during preseason without incident. Soon we'll come away with the understanding that Evans can play LT at this level and feel much better about the depth along the offensive line.
Yes on Hnderson, possibly.
No way on Evans this year at LT--his tape is mediocre; he has some traits for a LT, but something was missing at LT in 2018--he looked a bit lost sometimes. HOwever, at RT he will do well enough to hold the fort for a game in 2019...... But, at RT or Guard in 2020, I don't doubt it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
A better wuestion might be is which 2nd yr players make a positive impact?

Will Noteboom and Allen step in seamlessly?

Will Kiser get meaningful time and play well?

Will Obo, Young, or Lawler surprise and get snaps?

Will Joseph-Day get time?

Will Hodge take a step and play at all?

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
gut feeling long, Henderson and gaines are going to exceed expectations. I am worried about rapp and evans picks

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gaines - he won't have any sacks, and won't have many tackles - but our run D will be better

Henderson - McVay will put him to use IMO

Rapp - our 3rd down defense should be better too

Loved this draft so much

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Why worried about Rapp? What turns you off?

mostly its the 4.74 40 time I have heard that he may have an injury that caused that time but if not I don't think that speed will work at safety.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
mostly its the 4.74 40 time I have heard that he may have an injury that caused that time but if not I don't think that speed will work at safety.

It was a hip injury. And Rapp has proved himself to be fast at Washington. He started as a true freshman and never relinquished the job.

Also, Cooper Kupp ran a 4.64, if I'm not mistaken. Forty times don't matter.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/30/nfl-draft-rams-best-quote-picks-rookies/
Best quote from Rams coaches, GM about every 2019 draft pick
By: Cameron DaSilva

A team never makes a draft pick that it’s not excited about in one way or another. Sure, it might not have been the front office’s ideal target, but every pick is made with some kind of plan. That’s certainly the case for the Los Angeles Rams, whether it’s their top pick Taylor Rapp or their final one, Dakota Allen.

Ideally, all eight of their rookie selections will contribute in 2019, but not every first-year player makes the 53-man roster – especially on a team that just reached the Super Bowl. Les Snead, Sean McVay, Wade Phillips and other coaches think highly of the players brought in during the draft and shared their thoughts about them

Here’s the best thing the Rams have said about each draft pick so far.

McVay on Taylor Rapp
“He’s one of the guys that jumps off the screen,” McVay said on Friday night. “He’s got unbelievable instincts – talk about a guy that has a feel for navigating traffic and being able to make knife tackles as a blitzer. He’s playing in the box – extremely instinctual. And that’s where you just look at the tape, you talk about the short-space quickness. A lot of the things that you love so much about Eric (Weddle) and ‘JJ’ (John Johnson III) – we feel like Taylor (Rapp) has a lot of those similar traits and characteristics.”

McVay on Darrell Henderson
“This had to do with his skill set,” Snead said of why the Rams drafted Henderson. “He was a player that we identified as a unique playmaker. He can obviously so some things as a runner, but the versatility that he provides and some of the things that he can do are what was so enticing about him for us. You see the explosiveness – over eight yards a carry. There’s a lot of good things that you’d seen with what he’s done and his résumé at Memphis. We’re excited to get him in here and get to work and really learn under Todd and Malcolm.”

McVay on David Long
“When you get into David Long, the character is off the charts and he is a guy that has a skillset, the ability to come off and play man coverage, be able to play physical and be able to stay in guys’ back hips and mirror,” McVay said Friday. “You can see he is able cancel routes out as he goes and he just shows up and in a really, really productive defense over the last couple years. This was one of the best corners based off a production standpoint and another guy that loves football.”

Snead on Bobby Evans
“We still needed depth, so that’s where we added Evans tonight. And he’s the guy who’s played right and left tackle for Oklahoma, and as you know, Aaron Kromer – he’s going to slide him in at left guard and right guard, too. So, there’s some versatility there. He’s a really smart and intelligent player there that can learn all four,” Snead said after Day 2.

D-line coach Eric Henderson on Greg Gaines
“The thing you like about Greg is he’s a true grinder,” Henderson said. “I think he can really help us in run defense up front, being able to take on those double teams and split guys and make plays in the backfield. You’ve gotta have some tough guys inside. Greg provides that toughness for us. We like what he’d be able to bring to the table and be able to help us from a substitution standpoint, staying fresh and being able to really, really help improve our rush defense on first and second down situations.”

Snead on David Edwards
“He did play this year through an injury, you give him credit for that, he was toughing it out, so you go back and watch him play,” he said following Day 3 of the draft. “I know we were talking this morning about how he did well against (Patriots third-round draft choice) Chase Winovich back in the 2017 season. You kind of dig deep and go back to when he was healthy and see what he might be when he is healthy, those types of things are what you try to do.”

Phillips on Nick Scott
“We appreciate you, that’s why we picked you, baby,” Phillips said on the draft-day call to Scott. “I know you play special teams, but we’re looking forward to you playing safety, too, now. On special teams, you’re great at that. but I think you have a chance to be a great safety, too, so let’s look forward to that.”

Snead on Dakota Allen
“I do know what was really neat going through the process was – the mistake he made at Texas Tech – there were people at Texas Tech who definitely fought for him to get a second chance based on who he was,” Snead said after the draft. “Great phone call today. I think it was one of our favorites because you can tell he was definitely appreciative to get this opportunity. Fun football player to watch. It was one of those situations where Coach (Joe) Barry and Coach ‘Bones’ were on board and we all know how those linebackers are that maybe aren’t starting, they’re covering a lot of kicks for us, hopefully.”
Thanks for narrowing it down for me there.:thinking::jerkoff::huh::notsure: