So Which Center Will We take in the 2nd Round?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C'mon...we can always develop a 6th round WR..or convert a UDFA TE to WR. We just don't take WR's that high in the draft (4th round, tops!) err..wait, we say these things about interior Olinemen, don't we?

They get little respect in the draft and by the draftnicks...How many times have I heard "Shoot, we'll just convert that UDFA into a Center"...or crosstrain some 3rd rate guard into a Center. IF we got a STUD center in the 2nd round, it would potentially upgrade the whole Oline, and by extension the whole offense.
1. Pat Elflein
2. Ethan Pocic
3. Tyler Orlosky

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
C'mon...we can always develop a 6th round WR..or convert a UDFA TE to WR. We just don't take WR's that high in the draft (4th round, tops!) err..wait, we say these things about interior Olinemen, don't we?

They get little respect in the draft and by the draftnicks...How many times have I heard "Shoot, we'll just convert that UDFA into a Center"...or crosstrain some 3rd rate guard into a Center. IF we got a STUD center in the 2nd round, it would potentially upgrade the whole Oline, and by extension the whole offense.
1. Pat Elflein
2. Ethan Pocic
3. Tyler Orlosky

In theory you are right. However, there are no "stud" centers in this draft.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd take a center in the 4th....too many needs all over the team....We have quite a few players on the last year of their contract.

I'd grab Jon Toth

He's a stud...

http://www.draftblaster.com/2017-NFL-Draft/positions-offense/center/jon-toth-c/

Scouting Report:
Not long ago, his height and length would have not allowed him to play center, but with the evolution of the passing game, specifically an increase in use of the shotgun puts him inline with what many teams are looking for at the position. Built more like a tackle, with some experience playing there, he has been a reliable and shows excellent technique at the position. Not a fit for every team, but in an offense where a center needs to disengage and get to the next level, he has the build, athleticism, and experience to start right away.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In theory you are right. However, there are no "stud" centers in this draft.
Disagree, I think there are three that are good and a couple others that could be. But not taking them in the second round.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they take a center not named Lamp in round 2 I'm gonna pull my hair out. Lamp's the only guy worthy of that spot and he's likely gone before 37 due to the weakness of this OL class in general.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Disagree, I think there are three that are good and a couple others that could be. But not taking them in the second round.

There are some guys who could be solid, but IMO no "studs." A guy I consider a stud would be a pro bowl caliber talent, and IMO there isn't that type of center talent in this draft. Could make the argument center is the weakest position in this draft. The whole O-line group in this draft is pretty underwhelming.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There are some guys who could be solid, but IMO no "studs." A guy I consider a stud would be a pro bowl caliber talent, and IMO there isn't that type of center talent in this draft. Could make the argument center is the weakest position in this draft. The whole O-line group in this draft is pretty underwhelming.
Tackle is by far the weakest position in this draft. Especially when you consider most of them rated in the 2-4 round range are being shifted to Guard. Stud wasn't a word I used btw, I said good. A good player is somebody who's in the lineup and you're not trying to upgrade because he doesn't hurt you. Roullier, Fuller and Toth all can be good players from day 1. A few others could get there with coaching.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Forrest Lamp is a stud and more. There are some other converts who would also have Pro Bowl potential at Center. And I think Chase Roullier could potentially have that ceiling with Aaron Kromer as his coach.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Forrest Lamp is a stud and more. There are some other converts who would also have Pro Bowl potential at Center. And I think Chase Roullier could potentially have that ceiling with Aaron Kromer as his coach.
I just can't see the Rams, with there 1st pick of the Draft, taking a OG/Center! JMHO!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

True Lamp could be great, but odds are he goes way earlier than 37. Not really on my radar even though I would love to have him. I think Roullier could be solid, but IMO not pro bowl good. Who are the converts with pro bowl potential at center? Maybe Feeney which is debatable, but I don't see other guys outside of him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Some stats people might not know about Roullier:

-in 2015 at guard surrendered 6 pressures total.
-In 2015 graded out very well in both run blocking (+26.0) and pass protection (+9.3). In both categories, Roullier ranks in the top ten among all guards.
-in 2015 PFF ranked Roullier as the No. 9 best college player among offensive and defensive linemen. Roullier was given the highest combined grade among offensive guards in ratings of both run and pass blocking
-In 2015 had a pass blocking efficiency rating of 99.3 (No. 3 nationally).
-In 2015 did not allow a single sack.
-In 2015 was PFF’s No. 1 overall grade for guards (+37.5).
-in 2016 at center surrendered 8 pressures total.
-In 2016 had a run-blocking percentage of 91.6 percent as a center, seventh-best in the draft class.

Tried finding more info on 2016 season but didnt have much luck personally. Damn Jerry and getting me on his bandwagon for this guy!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some stats people might not know about Roullier:

-in 2015 at guard surrendered 6 pressures total.
-In 2015 graded out very well in both run blocking (+26.0) and pass protection (+9.3). In both categories, Roullier ranks in the top ten among all guards.
-in 2015 PFF ranked Roullier as the No. 9 best college player among offensive and defensive linemen. Roullier was given the highest combined grade among offensive guards in ratings of both run and pass blocking
-In 2015 had a pass blocking efficiency rating of 99.3 (No. 3 nationally).
-In 2015 did not allow a single sack.
-In 2015 was PFF’s No. 1 overall grade for guards (+37.5).
-in 2016 at center surrendered 8 pressures total.
-In 2016 had a run-blocking percentage of 91.6 percent as a center, seventh-best in the draft class.

Tried finding more info on 2016 season but didnt have much luck personally. Damn Jerry and getting me on his bandwagon for this guy!
Very glad I noticed this guy so early. He's my one draft crush this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True Lamp could be great, but odds are he goes way earlier than 37. Not really on my radar even though I would love to have him. I think Roullier could be solid, but IMO not pro bowl good. Who are the converts with pro bowl potential at center? Maybe Feeney which is debatable, but I don't see other guys outside of him.

Lamp, Feeney, Dawkins, Asiata, Siragusa, and Levin are all possibilities in my mind. Asiata and Siragusa likely end up at OG. Lamp and Feeney could end up anywhere on the interior. Levin can play almost anywhere on the OL.

Roullier doesn't have many weaknesses and has the sort of size and power to get recognition inside. Aside from his short arms, he's a sound player.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Chase Roullier in the 4th.
costanza-clapping.gif

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Lamp, Feeney, Dawkins, Asiata, Siragusa, and Levin are all possibilities in my mind. Asiata and Siragusa likely end up at OG. Lamp and Feeney could end up anywhere on the interior. Levin can play almost anywhere on the OL.

Outside of Lamp and potentially Feeney I don't think we are on the same page there on pro bowl caliber centers. My thing is if you consider guys like Dawkins, Siragusa, and Asiata potential centers then the Rams might as well save a pick and move Jamon Brown to center. Outside of Asiatta who had a few underwhelming games at center Brown has just as much experience playing center, is just as talented if not more so, has played against NFL talent for 2 years, and has almost 3 years in an NFL weights program.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Outside of Lamp and potentially Feeney I don't think we are on the same page there on pro bowl caliber centers. My thing is if you consider guys like Dawkins, Siragusa, and Asiata potential centers then the Rams might as well save a pick and move Jamon Brown to center. Outside of Asiatta who had a few underwhelming games at center Brown has just as much experience playing center, is just as talented if not more so, has played against NFL talent for 2 years, and has almost 3 years in an NFL weights program.

That assumes that Jamon Brown can move to Center. If Jamon Brown has the football IQ to play Center, I'm fine with moving him there, but he may not.

But you're also not really saving a pick. We still will have to replace Saffold in the near future and will need to be prepared for a Saffold injury this year.