So what is our vision on D?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
As I sit back and watch this all go down I just have to wonder. What the fuck are we going to do on defense? Now I know Philips does not deserve to be questioned, but wtf?

We know we have Quinn who will stand up and play OLB. Okay, then we have Tree...is he inside or out? Where does Barron fit? He isn't big enough for OLB in a 3-4. Alexander for McDonald is not an even swap. We are looking to get rid of Johnson...who plays the other corner spot?

I can see Easly playing DE in a 3-4, but who is on the other side? Are we moving Donald there and letting Brock play NT?

A lot of questions for me. I assume the answers will work themselves out over the next month, but damn.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need a lot of pieces on defense. If you want to try to max what we have and put some guys a little out of place you have:

Donald - Brockers - Easley
(open) - Tree - Barron - Quinn
TruJo - Alexander - Joyner (FS) - Gaines

But there are a few issues with that. One, unless Brockers puts on weight, we're pretty undersized in the middle of our defense. I think Brockers could do it, but having Barron there creates a problem in the run game IMO. Also, it's a stretch to pencil in Easley as a starter and Gaines can't be trusted much either. It also leaves an opening at nickel DB which will obviously be used a lot.

On the flip side you could have:

Donald - (open) - Brockers (Easley as depth)
(open) - Tree - (open) - Quinn
TruJo - Barron - Alexander - (open)

With Gaines and the other young guys from last year as depth and Joyner at nickel.

The obvious issue with that is we would need 4 starters on defense, which is why our priority should be defense IMO. The only real drawback to this 2nd option is having both Barron and Alexander at FS - but if Darian Stewart can play it for Phillips....

And we obviously need depth as well, for both scenarios. Some combination of both those scenarios is probably what will happen - Brockers possibly at NT and Barron at safety would be good IMO.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Brockers is 6-5 326 Which is heavy enough for a NT, just need another Big Body for rotation

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Nice OP @Juggs and a great answer by @FrantikRam - I see us going down the 'flip side' route tbh but I think Brock could do the NT role - did he in college? - I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up a couple of guys on D soon (I'm thinking CB predominantly)

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Two options for me...

1) I can worry about it...

2) I can let Phillips and his staff worry about it...

I choose 2 because Phillips has about 600 years of experience doing just that...

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
We need a lot of pieces on defense. If you want to try to max what we have and put some guys a little out of place you have:

Donald - Brockers - Easley
(open) - Tree - Barron - Quinn
TruJo - Alexander - Joyner (FS) - Gaines

But there are a few issues with that. One, unless Brockers puts on weight, we're pretty undersized in the middle of our defense. I think Brockers could do it, but having Barron there creates a problem in the run game IMO. Also, it's a stretch to pencil in Easley as a starter and Gaines can't be trusted much either. It also leaves an opening at nickel DB which will obviously be used a lot.

On the flip side you could have:

Donald - (open) - Brockers (Easley as depth)
(open) - Tree - (open) - Quinn
TruJo - Barron - Alexander - (open)

With Gaines and the other young guys from last year as depth and Joyner at nickel.

The obvious issue with that is we would need 4 starters on defense, which is why our priority should be defense IMO. The only real drawback to this 2nd option is having both Barron and Alexander at FS - but if Darian Stewart can play it for Phillips....

And we obviously need depth as well, for both scenarios. Some combination of both those scenarios is probably what will happen - Brockers possibly at NT and Barron at safety would be good IMO.
Brockers is 325 lbs. Thats plenty big for an NT. Denver has Sylvester Williams play the same position at 313 lbs.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Their vision?

1. Kick ass.
2. Take names.

Not necessarily in that order.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Our Vision
gettyimages-508175194.jpg

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
As I sit back and watch this all go down I just have to wonder. What the freak are we going to do on defense? Now I know Philips does not deserve to be questioned, but wtf?

We know we have Quinn who will stand up and play OLB. Okay, then we have Tree...is he inside or out? Where does Barron fit? He isn't big enough for OLB in a 3-4. Alexander for McDonald is not an even swap. We are looking to get rid of Johnson...who plays the other corner spot?

I can see Easly playing DE in a 3-4, but who is on the other side? Are we moving Donald there and letting Brock play NT?

A lot of questions for me. I assume the answers will work themselves out over the next month, but damn.
54391bb85c1150d6d3a6ce0139af3675.gif
vv44WO3.gif

Psycho_X

Legend
It looks like their vision is to build around Donald and Ogeltree I'd say. The team as a whole is trimming out aging Fisher guys. There will be a lot of camp battle this year between draft picks and UDFAs. If there is a defensive player who doesn't get drafted the Rams will be the team you want to sign with because you won't get better coaching and almost every single job will be open competition.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I think D is not only going to be cunning off the snap, but they are going to be physically trained better. Rath worked with Suh, and a lot of others so the strengthening will be x2 or better. This D is going to be the swift silent deadly type, and we just need the boys on the O to put up points and at the same time manage time to allow rest inbetween ball possessions. I think we will do great. Divide and conquer.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Complete turnover except for Donald, and Ogletree, maybe Alexander, in the next three years. And I am not certain about Ogletree even since Phillips didn't seem to prioritize his MLBs.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think Safeties are not a concern as we have serviceable players.
CB / LB / DE / Backup NT are priorities
We might get a FA gem for Safety but I doubt that it is a lesser priority right now.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
honestly I feel like we're gonna get torched, especially early on while the teams still adjusting

BUT.. still a long time between now and September. We'll see what pieces they add/remove. so far they're off to a descent start even though I'm sad to see some of the players go. Just gotta trust their plan cause whatever it is.. it's most likely better then Fisher's.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I am not worried, these guys are going to want to play, they won't dread the day. They will go into every game ecstatic and perform 110%. The motivation was lacking last season, emotions were taking over. Don't think it will happen this year. Some people need to chill out and not get overly excited. Its friday, draft day is coming up soon, by the time you know it August will be here.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
D-line break down
This is a one gap scheme, meaning the d-linemen are asked to penetrate. Attacking Gaps and penetrating is what Easley and Donald do best they will be fine as the ends. Brockers can still play the shade NT role like he did for G Wil and he is also strong enough to be a head up nose. With the NFL being so pass happy most of the time only two of those 3 will be on the field, so I ideally you have at least 4 strong options to rotate. This unit definitely needs depth though

ILB Breakdown
I heard Snead say in an interview Wade uses his LBs like traditional Mike and Will backers in a 4-3. I initially thought they would move Barron to SS, but it looks like he will fill the Will LB role next to Tree. Forrest gets the first chance to back Tree up and Hager backs up Barron.

OLB Breakdown
IMO this is their next priority. Concerns about Quinn is this system are overblown. When Phillips became DC in Houston and transitioned to a 3-4 he said he didn't care what stance Mario Williams played in and he will be doing what he does best most of the time which is rushing the passer. The rams need a starter opposite Quinn and I think they will go after former Phillips pupil Connor Barwin who played his best football in Wades 3-4. I also think the Rams will let Wade pick his young depth in the mid to later rounds of the draft.

Secondary Breakdown
Definitely the most fluid situation. Does Tru get traded? Is Joyner a nickle back or a FS? Does Mo play FS or SS? Who is the number 2 CB? Too much to be done here to make a call on any of those questions at this point, but the rams will certainly take advantage of an extremely talented DB draft.

Ram65

Legend
D-line break down
This is a one gap scheme, meaning the d-linemen are asked to penetrate. Attacking Gaps and penetrating is what Easley and Donald do best they will be fine as the ends. Brockers can still play the shade NT role like he did for G Wil and he is also strong enough to be a head up nose. With the NFL being so pass happy most of the time only two of those 3 will be on the field, so I ideally you have at least 4 strong options to rotate. This unit definitely needs depth though

ILB Breakdown
I heard Snead say in an interview Wade uses his LBs like traditional Mike and Will backers in a 4-3. I initially thought they would move Barron to SS, but it looks like he will fill the Will LB role next to Tree. Forrest gets the first chance to back Tree up and Hager backs up Barron.

OLB Breakdown
IMO this is their next priority. Concerns about Quinn is this system are overblown. When Phillips became DC in Houston and transitioned to a 3-4 he said he didn't care what stance Mario Williams played in and he will be doing what he does best most of the time which is rushing the passer. The rams need a starter opposite Quinn and I think they will go after former Phillips pupil Connor Barwin who played his best football in Wades 3-4. I also think the Rams will let Wade pick his young depth in the mid to later rounds of the draft.

Secondary Breakdown
Definitely the most fluid situation. Does Tru get traded? Is Joyner a nickle back or a FS? Does Mo play FS or SS? Who is the number 2 CB? Too much to be done here to make a call on any of those questions at this point, but the rams will certainly take advantage of an extremely talented DB draft.

Well done StealYoGurley!

Barwin is like a nice fit. Real class act here in Phila. Very solid player and good team guy. Depth and settling down the secondary situation can get the defense close this years. I like the odds that they will be better this year and much better the following year. Rams still have some money to spend and a nice CB/S draft class to look forward to.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still think Brock is best served at 5T. NT types are not difficult to find well into the draft. Brock is more than a NT in my estimation, or at least should be given a look there in camp and see how it plays out.

Oh and btw I like this defense more with Tru playing on that one year tag. That way the Rams only have to solve one CB position this offseason in the draft. Moving him might net us a pick, but then we're going to have to hit on another CB in this draft to have three starters.

Whatever happens I have enormous faith in Phillips though. The guy has earned the benefit of the doubt and I am sure Les is operating with his desires in mind.

Last edited: