So, what do you suppose Snead is focused upon on this Ram roster right now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Hmmmmm…

Well, I’m thinking that there are few actual ‘holes’, really.

Offense

I pretty much think our starters are already onboard. Gonna be some camp battles at RG and TE but that’s just to determine pecking order, don’t you think?

Not sure I can recall when Rams last had an O so clear cut at starter positions in late March.

I’m thinking that they will bring in either a FA or use a draft pick at the following positions in no particular order but even then just for depth:

RB
Interior OL
TE
QB (maybe)

That’s really about it.

Defense

Just a couple of ‘holes’, really. I see a need at edge opposite Floyd to try to replace Miller. Probably a solid FA since the experience is invaluable. Might use a pick there also if someone they like falls to them. No disrespect for Hollins and Garrett intended, but we’ve seen what a strong edge means to this D once Miller got healthy. Garrett flashed as a pass rusher last preseason but can he defend the run adequately? He’s still gotta prove that imo.

An experienced starting CB is likely on Snead’s radar, too. I like Rochell’s potential but at this point he’s unproven. A SB worthy team would be wise to shore that up in the offseason. Slot CB is a bit iffy, too. Long right now is a definite ‘maybe’ and that’s not good enough for a defending SB team. I look for at least one FA to be brought in at CB plus at least one draft pick, possibly as high as our 3rd. The good news is that Snead drafts secondary players very well.

ILB is ‘okay’ with Jones and Howard, I guess, but I’ll bet Snead will either bring in a 2nd tier FA or spend a draft pick there to build depth. A Bobby Wagner signing would be great but I’m not sure that the Rams want him badly enough to pull the trigger.

Fuller and Scott should be okay as starters but I can’t help remembering what a dramatic difference the experienced and crafty Weddle made on D in the playoffs. IOW, I’m wondering if Snead might be thinking about bringing in another FA back there to try to duplicate that settling influence. If not a FA vet then I predict that Snead will draft a FS type somewhere on Day 3.

Punter will be addressed in the draft. This draft reportedly is loaded with good prospects.

To summarize on Ram D needs I guess that Rams only have one ‘hole’ and that’s at edge to replace Miller. That Miller bar is quite high but there are still a few FA options out there if Snead really wants one.

All the other positions could be addressed with ‘depth moves’ during FA or the draft.

Thoughts?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep totally agreed.

I also think it's worth noting the team construction - if we keep Woods, we are paying three WRs A LOT of money. We also have Van and Atwell - so McVay will likely play with the idea of more 4 and 5 WR sets. 3 will be on the field 90-ish percent of the time.

This lessens the need for another TE, especially with potential hybrids like Skow and Harris in the mix.

We could also choose to ignore OL in the draft. One year ago today we were convinced that the Rams would draft OL because we were projected to have three FAs and Whit likely to retire - we drafted none. Fast forward to today, and it's a less dire need. Next year we only have Havenstein and Edwards as FAs. So it's worth noting the Rams may choose to ignore OL again.

I think RB may be addressed earlier than we would think on draft day.

Defensively I think you nailed it - if we don't bring in a vet, it's Howard and Jones starting - but we will need to draft for some depth behind these guys and Howard has a lengthy injury history. But - I think Morris values ILB more than Wade or Staley. So just sign Wagner and call it a day.

At CB, Gilmore would look fantastic here. This is probably the way I'd be pushing right now if I'm Snead.

With Hollins and our marginal ILBs, we had a good defense last year. But Gilmore would change everything. Make every group better.

Safety I just think we go with what we have. We could stand to upgrade, but role players are required and I'd rather get Gilmore or (and) Wagner.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We just need a guy who can do this....

QMtx6oi.png

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Good points all... I think we aren't done with FA acquisitions. Especially CB. Edgde is a tough one though because who is available that is better than Hollins? Fowler is not better (no bend and can't play the run) imo...

Anyway, I'm excited that we actually have cap room and a good roster before FA or the draft is done.

As for Tutu... I seriously doubt he gets a 53 unless he's just keeping the seat warm for OJB. I don't know if I'll ever get over that pick. Lol!

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ILB
S
CB
EDGE:
I’m curious about Chris Garrett. Could he fill the bill at edge? Think of the money we’d save if he truly is as good as his preseason play. I like Z. Smith and D. Hunter as well. Big shoes to fill after Von left in a Brinks truck.

Last edited:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I have zero doubt the Rams will address the defense, but would not be surprised to see them do it in-season, once players on other rosters start to shake loose. Similar to how Ramsey and Miller did.

Long Jr. really came on last year as the season progressed. Rochelle has already flashed and should be healthy going into year 2. Scott has earned a look based on his post season play. Our secondary is inexperienced but might well prove pretty capable despite not having many "names".

I expect Bobby Brown to contribute on D this year, as well, following the pattern of many mid range Rams draft picks before him (e.g. SJD, Gaines) that take some time learn the system and acclimate before getting their shot and excelling. And don't forget Garrett at edge!

Add in another draft class, and we might have less holes than we think on D. I don't think the Rams are done this free agency period. A team looking to run it back won't rely exclusively on youth progressing. Especially with Snead and McVay at the wheel, with a historical preference for proven players. But small name signings, that easily fit our cap situation, and the coaching staff feels can punch above their weight here with a coaching/scheme/culture change would not surprise me, leaving any big moves for mid-season once team needs more fully crystallize.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Whatever Snead is thinking I hope it doesn't involve trading Woods. I'd rather keep him and promote Miller's replacement from within.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I really hope it’s

CB
Interior OL
RB

Or a splash defensive front 7 player (Wagner) to keep AD happy and motivated for a repeat.

As far as having a player like Gurley, well, if not for the knee, we’re not having this conversation because there isn’t a player like that available in FA or this draft. It also should be noted that that Oline did wonders for our running game. Remember, Gurley wasn’t the only back that produced at a high level behind them

Ram65

Legend
I'm focused on the defense and hope the Rams are as well. A combination of Edge and CB is needed. If they can get Hunter then they can go for a lesser CB. They could get Gilmore or possibly Rasual Douglass (was a whipping boy in Philly but prospered in GB). A lower-level Edge would be a target should they get a high-level CB. The defense was in need of a Von Miller last year even though they had solid sack numbers. It's the consistent pressures they were lacking. Opponents exploited the Rams loose coverage. They can make do with what they have elsewhere and add draft picks or low-cost fill-in. They may want to extend Gaines or A Robinson so not to have to compete next year when they become free agents.

The offense has a few questions. The competition for RG and a backup RB. We have to wait on Woods and OBJ decisions and their effect.

The draft will probably be a mix again this time the WRs may not be the focus. OL, CB are always needed. I expect a little of everything else.

fearsomefour

Legend
Hard to tell with Snead.
There could be some mid level (cost wise) veteran adds to the D....C Campbell for the DL, Peterson for the back end....

fearsomefour

Legend
Whatever Snead is thinking I hope it doesn't involve trading Woods. I'd rather keep him and promote Miller's replacement from within.
I agree about Woods.
He is a key piece to the culture McVay has worked hard to create.
I would like to see, as I mentioned before, some mid level vet adds to the D.
Campbell for the DL, Peterson as a CB....there is more than one way to replace Miller be that with a deeper DL rotation or better coverage on the back end.
Use the Miller money to get a couple of pieces.
Have to get Donald and Stafford done first.....so.....hurry up on that.

dang

Legend
Expect the unexpected. Like a DavidLong/Van Jefferson for Xavien Howard deal.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, I think he is likely focusing on extensions for Donald and Stafford at this point.

After that, I agree with what others have been pointing out:

Edge
CB
ILB
RB
S