So Jake Long was pulled from the game, eh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Something wrong with Jake? I saw him get punished by Ware, and even by Kyle Wilber. Basically what I'm seeing is that the entire O-line (for the most part) couldn't handle one-on-one matchups. Got news for ya. There's not a scheme in the world that will work if you can't keep your QB upright.

iced

thought i heard he might have been hurt? didn't know he was pulled

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That was an abysmal performance by the OL. How many sacks did they give up?? I think we had more sacks against than first downs!! Dallas just pushed us around all day. Our "vaunted" front 7 looked like kittens trying to climb over a pile of laundry out there. It was comical.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I did see him on the sideline late in the 4th...

I suspect it was to "save" undue injury risk.

That, and the fact that the white flag had already been raised way before that time.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I just reviewed the game when I saw this post. Here's what I saw. The 4th quarter Jake Long gave up one sack & one hit on Sam by back up reserve Cowboy #51.

Long was also beat by #94 Ware for a real bad hit on Sam but it was no sack. The last play that Long was on the field... he fell to his knees while blocking #51 & Long continued to block #51 on his knees using the left side of his neck, head & shoulder & lunged & hitting #51 ....he was successful with this new knee block scheme but he immediate came off the field with a big bright red mark on his left side of his neck. New OLT Max Starks came in for Jake Long & smothered dinky #51 until the game was done.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Selassie I said:

That, and the fact that the white flag had already been raised way before that time.

And THAT, my friend is what worries me the most.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Faceplant said:
Selassie I said:

And THAT, my friend is what worries me the most.

I'm with you on that.

I can only hope that taking basically the entire 2nd half off yesterday (except for our 1st offensive play) will provide us with an advantage over the whiners in this short week.

V3

Hall of Fame
Long, and the rest of the O line was bad yesterday which makes me wonder why they left Sam Bradford in there until the end. Why risk getting him injured when your whole line is playing bad, the game is lost, it's late in the game, and you don't even have starters playing for you anymore? I really didn't get that...amongst other things.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
V3 said:
Long, and the rest of the O line was bad yesterday which makes me wonder why they left Sam Bradford in there until the end. Why risk getting him injured when your whole line is playing bad, the game is lost, it's late in the game, and you don't even have starters playing for you anymore? I really didn't get that...amongst other things.
That would have been the final nail. People already thought Fisher gave up, so pulling Bradford would have just solidified all of their suspicions. Not saying I agree or disagree with you about that ... just sayin'. Personally, I don't see any reason to yank Bradford. You're telling everyone else that (a) you give up, and (b), nobody is as important as the QB, but they should all continue to play hard anyway.

A55VA6

Legend
I thought it was just to make sure he's healthy and ready for Thursday, since we had basically lost the game anyways.

V3

Hall of Fame
X said:
V3 said:
That would have been the final nail. People already thought Fisher gave up, so pulling Bradford would have just solidified all of their suspicions. Not saying I agree or disagree with you about that ... just sayin'. Personally, I don't see any reason to yank Bradford. You're telling everyone else that (a) you give up, and (b), nobody is as important as the QB, but they should all continue to play hard anyway.

Yeah, I could see people saying that. It's kinda moot since he, thankfully, didn't get hurt. I still would have liked to have at least seen more Quick since they kept Bradford out there. It was the perfect time to get him some game experience to learn and get some timing down with Bradford without having to worry about any mistakes. Oh well.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
V3 said:
X said:
V3 said:

Yeah, I could see people saying that. It's kinda moot since he, thankfully, didn't get hurt. I still would have liked to have at least seen more Quick since they kept Bradford out there. It was the perfect time to get him some game experience to learn and get some timing down with Bradford without having to worry about any mistakes. Oh well.
They did target him, 3 times if I remember correctly. He had a good catch in tight coverage, a drop and one that was nowhere near him because Bradford got hit as he threw.

EDIT:

If you ask me, I'd like to see more of Stedman Bailey. Seemed like the perfect time to give him a go, he supposed to be this guy who can constantly get open and has great hands and the game would have been good for experience... So where was he?

Lesson

Oh, really?
A55VA6 said:
I thought it was just to make sure he's healthy and ready for Thursday, since we had basically lost the game anyways.

That's what I thought, too.

V3

Hall of Fame
HometownBoy said:
V3 said:
X said:
V3 said:

They did target him, 3 times if I remember correctly. He had a good catch in tight coverage, a drop and one that was nowhere near him because Bradford got hit as he threw.

EDIT:

If you ask me, I'd like to see more of Stedman Bailey. Seemed like the perfect time to give him a go, he supposed to be this guy who can constantly get open and has great hands and the game would have been good for experience... So where was he?

I wanted to see even more, though. I agree about Bailey too.

Iron Lion

Starter
X said:
V3 said:

But it's true, nobody is as important as the QB... that is why they practice in the red jerseys.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Iron Lion said:
X said:
V3 said:

But it's true, nobody is as important as the QB... that is why they practice in the red jerseys.
Well then I have a question here ,if you were winning 75-0 would ya still keep dropping Bradford back on 7 step drops and tempting a sub from another team to take a cheap shot?

JMO when the math don't work anymore it's not giving up, it's realism and pulling any and everyone you prefer to limit their chances of injury is OK.

There is not giving up because your spirit is indomitable and then there is ACTING as if your spirit is indomitable by doing injudicious symbolic things to prevent people who judge from judging you.

I can tell you I would rank players in the natural hierarchy and if anyone is coming off the field to prevent injury it's according to what I'm paying them to heal if they get hurt,traditionally the QB is the highest paid guy for a reason and for that same reason he's the first off the field when I know the game is over and we're just passing time to satisfy the clock,IOW when the math is just undeniable.
As an aside if a player is already nursing an injury ,he likely gets some priority to prevent aggravating it.

Like I said symbolism means very little to me ,when ya know the horse is dead it's not giving up to quit beating it,it's realism.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Lesson said:
A55VA6 said:

Me too.

BTW, didn't Max Starks look SLOOOOOOWWWW?

I hope he never has to play.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Memphis Ram said:
Lesson said:
A55VA6 said:

Me too.

Haven't read this whole thread but JFI , Long sat out practice yesterday with a foot problem.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Memphis Ram said:
Lesson said:
A55VA6 said:

Me too.

Yes he was slow on that series he played for Long but he was effective & the DL'er did not get much moment on him. Max may not be any long term answer @ OLT if Jake was to have many more bad games or starts trending back to collection of nagging hampering injuries. Max IMO would do much better taking that 6-8 350 pound self to the ORT post and survive better than we think.

I have a very good positive post coming on OT Joe Barksdale in a little bit. I will have to eat some of my own words and maybe a size 13 foot. :zomg1: