So is Wagner done?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
I keep seeing posts stating he's hit the wall and he does look slow to me. What you guys think?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
The games I've seen and things I've read show me he's still a gamer. And was recently rated the #1 LB in the NFL by PFF.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Well if any indication per stats (and if I have my math right!) the defense is much better this year (with Wagner) overall so far.
But I get that he's near the end of his career physically. He has been both making and missing plays but I wouldn't hang any shortcomings on D toward him at all.

2021 Rams D

Rushing YPG: 6th
Passing YPG: 22nd
Total YPG: 17th

2022 Rams D

Rushing YPG: 7th
Passing YPG: 12th
Total YPG: 5th

Raheem: "Stats are for losers!!"

Tano

Legend
Well if any indication per stats (and if I have my math right!) the defense is much better this year (with Wagner) overall so far.
But I get that he's near the end of his career physically. He has been both making and missing plays but I wouldn't hang any shortcomings on D toward him at all.

2021 Rams D

Rushing YPG: 6th
Passing YPG: 22nd
Total YPG: 17th

2022 Rams D

Rushing YPG: 7th
Passing YPG: 12th
Total YPG: 5th

Raheem: "Stats are for losers!!"
We were giving up a lot more yards thru the air and less yards on the ground because we have big leads last year.

Yes Merlin - I have an answer for everything

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wagner looks fine to me. He's not the elite player he once was, but he's a good ILB.

brucebruce

Rookie
what's with the OP and his doomsday threads. there are issues with the rams but why make up a non-existent boogie man. can ROD send him a nightlight?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the heart attack. I thought there was an injury I didn’t know about.
Wagner’s been playing just fine.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think I know what the OP is referring to...

One thing you have to understand is the ILB/MLB (wagner) much like our WSLB Jones is they have responsibilities to cover their portion of the field. It's worth noting that I have seen Wagner take on Jones responsibility more than once. When I see Wagner run past Jones on the opposite side of the field that shows me two things. One Wagner being a savvy vet and is quick to read plays. Two, Jones is not doing his job some of the time. He gets washed out or is slow to diagnose a play. Another note is Wagner has never been a good cover LB. If he's ever covering a slot receiver or a George Kittle, then the Rams defense has essentially already lost the play. Sometimes offenses out scheme our defense. It happens.

As others have said he's been rated the No 1 MLB up until this point of the season. I doubt yesterdays game helps his cause but the man has been playing lights out. That's more than I can say about the other plays around him. IE Rapp, Jones, and some of our inexperienced DB's. Whom we saw get outplayed and outsmarted yesterday.

dang

Legend
Rams got a lot of problems. Wagner ain’t one of them. He helped improve ILB tremendously this year.

Tano

Legend
Rams got a lot of problems. Wagner ain’t one of them. He helped improve ILB tremendously this year.
1000 times better than Reeder

Wagner has only missed 1 tackle so far

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
1000 times better than Reeder

Wagner has only missed 1 tackle so far
He may not miss tackles, but he often isn't near the play or looks real slow reacting or chasing down a play.

He looks cooked to me.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
He is slowing down at this point but he makes up for it with his reliable play. Rather have a guy like that vs a guy who is fast but over runs or takes bad angles.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
see my post above.
I dunno, I see him over committing to fill a hole thats not really there and then seeing the RB run by him. So not always seeing great reads.

So again I wouldn't want him back next yr. No longer a difference maker in my view. Has he made one big play yet this season?

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
He's good, but not worth what he's getting paid, imo.
Was a Von Miller we missed out grab. Probably could have used the money elsewhere and been okay.
I think we have decent ILB candidates in the wings.