So, is Malcom Brown now our "goal line" RB?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ants

Starter
Has McVay mentioned this at all, or was it just the way the game flowed that Brown happened to get the call when the Rams got close?
Yeah, the question is more geared towards fantasy football. Where the Rams are concerned, I don't care who scores as long as SOMEONE scores. :cool:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who got the ball in the 4th Q when the Rams needed 2 yards for a 1st down? That's all we need to know

Ants

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, well...I didn't see the game so I don't know the answer to that one, either. :rolleyes:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No and nothing from week one even remotely implies that he is.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think he's our "when the OL isn't opening holes" option.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, well...I didn't see the game so I don't know the answer to that one, either. :rolleyes:
1FDA3DAB-B37D-47F9-B630-959DCFD5D8C5.jpeg

bluecoconuts

Legend
McVay addressed this during his post game media scrum, the written reporters just haven't really been talking about it. They had scheduled them to take different drives to help with heat and such, and that's just how it shook out. There was no deeper meaning in terms of where on the field they were, down and distance, etc.

Henderson went in later because Gurley needed a break and Brown was getting an IV and possibly taking a shit. No deeper meaning, just the flow of the game.

Ants

Starter
No and nothing from week one even remotely implies that he is.

C'mon dude. I didn't see the game and even I know that's just not true. In fact, it's the reason I'm asking. :cautious:

Ants

Starter
McVay addressed this during his post game media scrum, the written reporters just haven't really been talking about it. They had scheduled them to take different drives to help with heat and such, and that's just how it shook out. There was no deeper meaning in terms of where on the field they were, down and distance, etc.

Henderson went in later because Gurley needed a break and Brown was getting an IV and possibly taking a shit. No deeper meaning, just the flow of the game.

Thank you. That's all I was looking for. :cool:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Everyone here pretty much understands, while there is a bit more focus on Todd, on Sunday the plan was to "keep Todd fresh...." which meant a few more carries, early went to Malcomb. In the National media "Let-Me-Make-Up-Whatever-Headline-I-Want-To...." it kind of gets under our skin that this has been portrayed as another episode of "What's wrong w/ Todd..." But 4 minute drill went to Todd to close the game out. Who would have thought the Rams actually have a plan for this....:cool:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C'mon dude. I didn't see the game and even I know that's just not true. In fact, it's the reason I'm asking. :cautious:
It’s absolutely not true. You said you didn’t watch the game if you had you’d know why I and others have said this. Brown scored two touchdowns because he was in for the entirety of those two drives. They didn’t run Gurley and then pull him when they got in the red zone. The only time a RB didn’t play the entire drive was late when both Brown and Gurley were getting an IV on the sideline so Henderson came in. Absolutely nothing from week one would give anybody the indication that Brown is the goal line back. In fact McVay leaning on Gurley to close out the game instead of Brown should tell you the opposite is true.

Ram65

Legend
Has McVay mentioned this at all, or was it just the way the game flowed that Brown happened to get the call when the Rams got close?
Yeah, the question is more geared towards fantasy football. Where the Rams are concerned, I don't care who scores as long as SOMEONE scores. :cool:

Everyone here pretty much understands, while there is a bit more focus on Todd, on Sunday the plan was to "keep Todd fresh...." which meant a few more carries, early went to Malcomb. In the National media "Let-Me-Make-Up-Whatever-Headline-I-Want-To...." it kind of gets under our skin that this has been portrayed as another episode of "What's wrong w/ Todd..." But 4 minute drill went to Todd to close the game out. Who would have thought the Rams actually have a plan for this....:cool:

These two posts go hand in hand. If you didn't see the game then you don't know that Brown and Gurley alternated drives. It made sense with or without the Gurley drama on a hot/humid September Sunday in Charlotte NC. Just happen those drives got to the endzone. Brown ran hard and was a big part of both drives even the short one after the turnover.

A local talk show host had no idea how the game played out and questioned Gurley's health. It was to the point that the Rams can't count on him or something like that. He was pumping up the Eagles. The good thing is both should get rest during the season and can produce. Brown can wear down opponents with his hard running style. In the long run, this might be better for the Rams as the season moves on.:cool:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have been saying, literally for two years now, that Brown needed more carries and that it should be closer to a 50/50 split in the regular season. That's all this was.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting hypothesis.
Yeah I feel like TG and Henderson are both the type of back who need a seam. Which is what makes them such nice fits for an outside zone-heavy scheme where they can turn a seam into a big play or also contribute in the passing game. Brown's a different type dude. He has solid hands, but his forte is running into traffic and getting the tough yards.

Mentioned this before but back in the day when Parcells/Belichick were in NY they used Otis Anderson in that type of role to soften up the defense. Parcells in his usual style called him his pillow man. I think that's what Brown is, which is also why it's paramount that he can stay healthy. A pillow man who can't be available when you need him is a problem. So I hope they're a bit more careful with that and the comms and whatnot.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I think Gurley's snaps were twice as many as brown's. Touches were 15 to 11 Gurley. These stats and mcvay's statements that it was just the flow of the game and the climate that created this split, leads me to believe that many games gurely will have similar numbers to the last 2 years. His touches will still be around 290 or so this season.
Brown is not going to spell gurely based on situations like goal line. It will be on the need to rest gurely.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Gurley's snaps were twice as many as brown's. Touches were 15 to 11 Gurley.
I see that equation relating primarily to the run game success as we go forward. If TG is going off on the outside zones, we'll see more of Henderson spelling him, to the point where his snaps might be as high as those of Brown. If on the other hand TG is getting stuffed, we can probably expect more of Brown to help loosen things up.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is nothing more than smart football. I hope they stick to it. A fresh Gurley in the 4th qtr is PRICELESS!!!! Wait until Henderson is up to speed in the offense and try and defend us!!!!!! Exciting stuff to come!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I think Gurley's snaps were twice as many as brown's.

This here^^^

Gurley is a great pass protector and his value in the pass game will keep his snaps high, regardless of carries.

GREAT pass blocker