So I got a new job offer....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Go for it buddy. If you're miserable now you have nothing to lose.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Offer letter received and accepted. Excited to start a new chapter. Thanks for all of the feed back. It has confirmed two things for me.....one is that this is the right decision, two is that ROD is the best fan forum on this planet.

P. S. If this new job sucks, it's on all of you.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Sounds like a no-brainer Brotha! I know it's such a cliche but it holds true... Life is too short. Congratz and good luck! I get the second guessing thing with my upcoming retirement, just stick to your convictions.

On that note, I love this place but going to an anonymous forum for life advice may not be the best of moves. You know the answer. Trust your gut.
Well shit...... guess I'm screwed then......

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Offer letter received and accepted. Excited to start a new chapter. Thanks for all of the feed back. It has confirmed two things for me.....one is that this is the right decision, two is that ROD is the best fan forum on this planet.

Congrats. And if it's not right, that's fine. That doesnt make the old place right either.

My dad called today because his buddy passed away this morning of a brain haemorrhage. 60 years old and he was fit and healthy on th golf course yesterday.

Do what makes you happy fellas, and absolutely fuck the rest.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Badass man. Congratulations!

Does your current employer know yet? Not trying to pry... just wondering. Fear mongers like them deserve to lose their best people. I hope they receive any pain they delivered to you back times 10 from your departure... they had it coming.

Fuck them!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Not me! Ha.

For real tho, I know I'm late but yeah you made the right choice. Fuck office politics. I was in the same spot but I got canned. Best damn day of my life. It's a shame where everyone just wants to make a buck to eat cultures like this exist. It's so weird to me. Whatever.

Good for you man.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Badass man. Congratulations!

Does your current employer know yet? Not trying to pry... just wondering. Fear mongers like them deserve to lose their best people. I hope they receive any pain they delivered to you back times 10 from your departure... they had it coming.

Fuck them!
I am going to tell them next week. Also negotiated a starting date a month out so that I can help as much as possible with knowledge transfer. As much as the current place deserves a big FU from me, it's not in my nature. I respect the majority of my colleagues too much to fuck them over just to get at the executives. Don't get me wrong, they are still kinda screwed, but that is not my fault. Another engineer left this week and gave 3 days notice... I can't do that.... As much as I want to.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I am going to tell them next week. Also negotiated a starting date a month out so that I can help as much as possible with knowledge transfer. As much as the current place deserves a big FU from me, it's not in my nature. I respect the majority of my colleagues too much to fuck them over just to get at the executives. Don't get me wrong, they are still kinda screwed, but that is not my fault. Another engineer left this week and gave 3 days notice... I can't do that.... As much as I want to.

They don't deserve you.

Good job Brudda

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Change is always scary.... that's why you've allowed yourself to be MISERABLE for 8 years.

Once you make the change, you'll say "I should have left that place years ago!".

Tell me this... What are you going to do if your current fear mongering employer offers you a bunch more to stay?

Be happy that you are in control of this situation. Soak it in Brudda.
And that's exactly what they'll do because they will be shocked that they are suddenly in a pickle. Be polite and say, money isn't everything. And that's what you already know because just about everybody that asks for advice from friends already knows the answer. You know it's time. Hating work is torture and life is too short for that. Go make you and your family happy!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A much better work environment is not a lateral move IMO. But I sense you already came to that conclusion. It's important to enjoy where and with whom you work.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
Always remember,

"Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on."

Led Zeppelin.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@Faceplant - Mark your calendar for a year or so to bring this thread back up and let us know how the big decision is turning out. I‘m sure I’m not the only one who would be curious for an update.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Faceplant - Mark your calendar for a year or so to bring this thread back up and let us know how the big decision is turning out. I‘m sure I’m not the only one who would be curious for an update.
Well, a year (almost exactly) has passed since I started my new gig. It was one of the best decisions I have made in a loooooong time. Still love my team and the environment is night and day different from the last place. I am surrounded by super talented people who are cooperative and all work together for the greater good. I like it so much, I recruited 2 of the best people from my prior employer and they are now with me here and loving it! In fact, 4 or 5 of my former colleagues (outside of IT) and friends left in the year after I did. All are MUCH happier for it! That place is just toxic.

The culture here is so much different than anything I have worked in before. These people are YOUNG!! I turn 50 this summer, and I am among the oldest employees in IT...and in most cases, by a large margin, haha. I really am humbled by the talent that I work with here. I have learned more in my year here than I did over the last 5 years at my previous employer. The best part is, everyone I have worked with is happy to share information and knowledge, which is not always the case in IT. Everyone is secure in their abilities without having ego about it. Good shit.

Anyway, I just wanted to share an update on this and thank those of you who offered kind words a year ago.

For anyone who may be in a similar situation to what I was in a year or so ago, there are some wise words in this thread. Don't be afraid to leave a bad situation. Bet on yourself and always choose happiness over $ (unless someone drives a Brinks truck to your house). I only wish I had made the jump sooner.

P.S. My wife (who was still working for my previous company) has also escaped that factory of sadness and is much happier for it!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well, a year (almost exactly) has passed since I started my new gig. It was one of the best decisions I have made in a loooooong time. Still love my team and the environment is night and day different from the last place. I am surrounded by super talented people who are cooperative and all work together for the greater good. I like it so much, I recruited 2 of the best people from my prior employer and they are now with me here and loving it! In fact, 4 or 5 of my former colleagues (outside of IT) and friends left in the year after I did. All are MUCH happier for it! That place is just toxic.

The culture here is so much different than anything I have worked in before. These people are YOUNG!! I turn 50 this summer, and I am among the oldest employees in IT...and in most cases, by a large margin, haha. I really am humbled by the talent that I work with here. I have learned more in my year here than I did over the last 5 years at my previous employer. The best part is, everyone I have worked with is happy to share information and knowledge, which is not always the case in IT. Everyone is secure in their abilities without having ego about it. Good shit.

Anyway, I just wanted to share an update on this and thank those of you who offered kind words a year ago.

For anyone who may be in a similar situation to what I was in a year or so ago, there are some wise words in this thread. Don't be afraid to leave a bad situation. Bet on yourself and always choose happiness over $ (unless someone drives a Brinks truck to your house). I only wish I had made the jump sooner.

P.S. My wife (who was still working for my previous company) has also escaped that factory of sadness and is much happier for it!

See?? Us millennial aren't bad folk. Good update man.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't keep or take a job for titles or money. Do it for management and the culture. Titles and money will follow.