So how did the Rams do in this year's draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

And your grade is? And why?

• A

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • B

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't grade drafts before players take the field.

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
eb264b1a-61ff-11df-aadb-00127992bc8b.preview-620.jpg

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... 0f31a.html

QUESTION: What grade would you give GM Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher in their first draft with the Rams?

JIM THOMAS

The overriding question remains: Did the Rams do enough at wide receiver to help quarterback Sam Bradford? In selecting Brian Quick (second round) and Chris Givens (fourth round), the Rams missed out or bypassed more recognizable names in Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, and Kendall Wright. We’ll know in a couple years if their scouting evalution was correct. No problem with the selection of defensive tackle Michael Brockers. And the Rams finally made a backup running back a priority with Isaiah Pead in the second round. But cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins (Round 2) and Trumaine Johnson (Round 3) come to the NFL with off-field issues, and there’s a risk-reward factor with both – particularly Jenkins. Grade: [hil]B minus[/hil]

JEFF GORDON

I’d give them a [hil]solid “B”[/hil] for their first draft. They consistently claimed high-upside guys, accepting some risk in the process. They took guys with off-field issues, guys with injury histories and guys playing at lower levels. But they kept aiming for players with the athletic ability to be special. After five years of relentless failure, the Rams needed to make bold personnel moves. For the most part they did that this weekend.

BRYAN BURWELL

[hil]Exactly how are we supposed to grade them before anyone has even practiced much less played a game?[/hil]

All I know is they were extremely aggressive in accumulating second-round draft picks because this team had a huge need to get better players. So mission accomplished, since they were holding four of the top 45 picks.

I also was impressed with the idea that they were unafraid to take risks on players who had character issues, doing extensive research to find out what they did, why they did it and whether or not these are issues that could repeat.

Now let’s go find out if they can play, if they can become immediate starters and if they can actually play and star for an extended time in the NFL. So check back with me in two years for that grade.

KATHLEEN NELSON

[hil]Incomplete. Sorry, but any other answer is uninformed.[/hil] This class doesn’t just have to assimilate an NFL playbook and adjust to the speed of the pro game. Too many of them have some growing up to do as human beings.

NATIONAL MEDIA WEIGHS IN

• ESPN’s Mel Kiper gives the Rams an overall grade of [hil]B-[/hil]. You can read his thoughts by clicking here. (You must be an ESPN Insider to access Kiper's grades)

• CBS Sports’ Rob Rang gives the Rams a [hil]C[/hil]. You can read his thoughts by clicking here.

• Sports Illustrated’s Chris Burke gives the Rams a [hil]B+[/hil]. You can read his analysis by clicking here.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... z1tZCTqNbG

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm going to give a "B" because the sheer volume of guys that could potentially flake out. That's countered by the sheer volume of picks they ransomed for the #2 overall. I'm tempted to select "I don't grade drafts" because I really don't. I like every draft right after it happens because I'm not so pompous that I can tell people how guys are going to pan out before they even get their jersey number. But all-in-all, I like what they did, and I can see the plan unfolding.

Speeps

Starter
It's hard to grade the draft because we don't know how the players will turn out. But based on what they did, and what we know of these players, the Rams get a B+ for me. Round two will be the round that I believe people will talk about for years. The three players drafted in that round has the ability to be special players in this league and I can't wait to see it happen.

Brockers is my kind of player, big, strong, and likes to hit. Chris Givens can fly, I've seen a bunch of Wake Forest games. I don't know much about Trumaine Johnson, Aaron Brown, and Richardson.

The kicker in the sixth is a stud. Quite the leg.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We got so much, that I have to rate it an A. It has the potential to be an A+

The Rams have some real game changing speed that was sorely needed. Pead will blow some of guys away who were not familiar with him. He reminds me of Sproles, not quite as strong, but a better receiver. I became a big fan of his at the Senior Bowl, where I thought he was the most explosive player there.

The Rams finally have some real options in the return game, another thing that has been absent for years with the addition of Pead and Jenkins.

I had Quick as one of the Rams options at WR in the 2nd, this pick didn't surprise me, he has a high ceiling, but there will be a learning curve.

Givens is more polished, and he played every WR position at Wake, as well as running the ball occasionally.

J. Jenkins could end up being the steal of this draft, and Snead and Fisher seem committed to helping him succeed and become a pro.

The "Truth" is a big physical corner, who I think would make a better safety, but Fisher envisions him as a starting run support corner. He does have very good ball skills and instincts.

Brockers plays with unbelievable leverage for a guy as tall as he is, which is why he excels as a run stopper. Once Waffle coaches him up and he adds some pass rushing and upper body strength...watch out.

I watched some tape on the "Rok", he looks like a beast, and i hope that we found something there. He seems to have a knack for finding the defender in space, and that will be needed in our new scheme.

The kicker, Zeurlein was a bit of a surprise, but with his talent and the money saved, this turned out to be a great pick potentially.

I think two or three of our UDFA's will stick and Alex Hoffan-Ellis will have a chance to start at OLB.

This was a very good draft.

bluecoconuts

Legend
"B" on potential at this point, but I feel it can very easily move up to an "A" if most of these guys hit. Specifically from the first 4 rounds.. From Brockers to Givens, if they can all be at least solid contributions I think that's an A.. And I can very easily see the Rams having all of those guys on the team and playing in 5 years.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm a wait and see them in pads kinda guy. so that's how I voted.

But really impressed so far on what they were able to assemble on paper. The team got a lot more athletic and filled holes that will stay filled for a few years. No stop Gaps.
The swag level increased.
It's easy for critics to say I would have drafted player Y instead of Player Z with any pick, but the SneadFish knows the dynamic of the team they want and player Y that got passed over didn't fit that matrix.
On paper A-.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I give them an A. They started out with 7 picks, 1 in each round except 0 inthe 5th and 2 in the 7th and turned that into 12 picks including 3 ones, 3 seconds and a fifth. My favorite part of this draft though is how they " fleeced " the cowboys by getting Brockers and Pead while also drafting a corner thats going to be better than the one they got. If an average to above average number of these guys pan out i'd bump the grade to an A+

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cullen Bryant said:
My favorite part of this draft though is how they " fleeced " the cowboys by getting Brockers and Pead while also drafting a corner thats going to be better than the one they got.
Heh. Nicely done. :ww:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Impossible to give a grade at this point.

I do like the No Risk, No Reward approach... or whatever you want to call it. With our team having so many needs, the trade downs were also very smart (acquiring more picks).

Culture Change times 10,,, and that's exactly what we need.

steferfootball

Starter
"I don't grade drafts before players take the field."

I mean, when you watch draft analysis pundits, all you ever see is them raving about "How team x filled every need." ... not "I think half of their picks are busts." It is just too hard to pick out who will bust and who won't.

I'm excited about the potential, but we'll see.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Hard to grade a draft without these guys ever playing a down. That said this draft is an A+++++++++++++++++++++

Anytime you turn 1 pick into 4 quality players(Micheal Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Isaiah Pead, and Rokevious Watkins) its a homerun. 2 of them are arguably the most talent player at their position. Oh yeah, that one pick also netted us 2 additional first round picks.

That's potentially 6 starter we will get from one pick.

Add in 2 new weapons for Bradford in Brian Quick and Chris Givens, a talented CB in Trumain Johnson, a Kicker with a BOOT, Zu, and you have one hell of a draft. We also brought a few lottery tickets in the late rounds. If any of those guys contribute it's a bonus.

When we win the SB in a few years it will be because of this draft and Snead's willingness to take risks and deal.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd kind of like to see the question be something more along the lines of how excited I am by what the Rams did in the draft. I am personally VERY excited by it but to grade their picks before anyone has strapped on the horns? Meh.

That doesn't mean I don't like reading others' opinions and such. I just feel I have gone down that road WAY too many times. I'm all about buying into the hype when it comes to my Rams. It doesn't make my take very objective though so I will use 20-20 and wait until I can look back at it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I say B because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. They didn't draft a single player I envisioned them picking. Who they did draft all have a very high ceiling with very high risk. I like it. (I watched Money Ball last night so I think it's going to work!)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm not gonna grade it. I'll give my overall impressions of it, tho, which I don't think I did yet.

I'm very lukewarm over Brockers. Still believe DT is a minimal impact posistion, for a 1st round pick. I would've liked a DT in round 2 and instead Blackmon or Richardson w/ the 6th, which obviously ended up pointless.

Quick, I like that he has size. Just hope he can make an impact sooner rather than later. Luckilly he and the other picks will have an offseason and can actually meet up w/ coaches this spring/summer.

Jenkins, nice risk. Based on interviews he doesn't seem to be the same idiot kid. It's up to him, tho.

Pead. Ehh didn't know too much about him, but his run style reminds me of DeMarco Murray. Hope this Bearcat is better than the last one.

Johnson, basically Jenkins but less character problems. Not a bad pick, just need to be as good as advertised.

Givens I like too, my only hope he isn't a diva, which is what it seems like based on BSPN's "expert analysis." Which probably means nothing.

Rounds 5-7, if they can be good depth players that's good enough for me. Basically, there's a lot of "hopefully-s" that need to prove it, and that they will be "steals."

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
A+ for smart, aggressive and strategically disciplined draft plan and execution.

None of us can know how well each player will ultimately perform, but that eventuality depends on numerous factors beyond Snead's control. Hence, I won't be changing my grade.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm going to grade each pick individually:

Michael Brockers - A+. Not only did Fisher and Snead get the guy that they wanted at a position of need, but they also traded down from the number two overall pick to the fourteenth overall pick, which netted us two second rounders, two first round picks in the next two years, and a fifth round pick this year. That's not even counting the possibility of trading down over the next few years and getting even more picks.

With Brockers, you're getting a very talented defensive tackle who has a lot of room to grow. Some have compared him to Richard Seymour, but I see him more along the lines of a bigger Marcus Stroud. He graded out as one of the best run-stuffing tackles in this draft, and he has pass-rushing potential as well. You can't make a better value pick than that.

Brian Quick - B+. With first round-graded wide receivers like Stephen Hill and Rueben Randle on the board at the time, Quick will be forever linked to their careers. However, there is a lot to like about the big wideout. No, I'm not seeing Terrell Owens comparisons. I see him more along the lines of Brandon Marshall without the numerous problems that the latter has had: a tall, well-built wideout with great hands and the ability to break the tackles of cornerbacks and safeties with relative ease. However, he's much less polished than Randle and doesn't have the speed of Hill. If Quick reaches his potential, though, he will become a fine wideout for the Rams.

Janoris Jenkins - A-. Of course, you're going to have the character issues debate forever, but talent-wise, Jenkins was the best cornerback in this draft by far. Better than Claiborne. Better than Kirkpatrick. Better than Gilmore. Better than all of them. Jenkins has shut down the best of the best and has the physical skills and football intelligence to become a star cornerback in the NFL. Some have compared him to Revis, which should tell you everything you need to know about his talent. However, the thing that goes unnoticed is his talent in run-support. Jenkins is no mere cover corner; he's willing to be physical. Think Revis with a bit of Sheldon Brown mixed in.

Isaiah Pead - A-. Yes, some people are going to mention that LaMichael James was on the board at the time, but Pead is a better receiver and pass-protector and has not ever sustained an injury in his playing career. Not getting someone like Bobby Wagner or Mychal Kendricks could come back to haunt the Rams, but trading down for a fifth round pick isn't bad at all, especially after getting a true backup to Jackson. Pead's game is surprisingly diverse; he can run between the tackles, bounce to the outside, or catch a screen out of the backfield with equal ease. Think Lesean McCoy.

Trumaine Johnson - A+. I'll say this without any hesitation: Trumaine Johnson is the steal of the draft. He was considered a legitimate first round pick before his run-in with the law. Johnson was a dominant cornerback in college, but I think that he'll eventually be moved to free safety. He has stiff hips and has had problems going for the big hit instead of wrapping up, but his size, ball skills, and willingness in run-support are a lethal combination, especially if he's moved to safety. Think a lesser version of Nnamdi Asomugha. No, that is not a joke.

Chris Givens - B-. Givens is a talented prospect with a lot of questions. While his speed isn't mind-numbing, it's still pretty damn good. He has good hands, but they're not exactly great. He's a fantastic route-runner, but he gets jammed at the line of scrimmage more often than one would like. Givens has the potential to be an outside receiver and a fantastic number two compliment to Quick, but he has had two surgeries of his ACL and might only be a slot receiver in the NFL. If he does reach his fullest potential, though, think Jeremy Maclin - another speedy receiver who has also had two knee surgeries.

Rokevious Watkins - A. The fifth round pick that was picked up along with Pead, Watkins is a developmental guard who has a fairly good amount of potential. He's a large mauler at just under 340 lbs., but he has surprisingly quick feet for his size. He's adequate in space, but in order to play left guard, he may need to shed a few pounds and drop down to 325. He also struggles in pass-protection, but losing weight and learning under guys like Harvey Dahl and Scott Wells will help his cause. If he reaches his fullest potential, think a much lesser version of Jahri Evans.

Greg Zuerlein - B-. I always have reservations about drafting kickers above skill players, especially when said skill players have had numerous splash plays against tough opponents (Danny Trevathan). Kickers are guys you look at as seventh rounders and UDFAs. Now, Zu has a great amount of potential. If he reaches it, you'll be looking at...ah, forget it. I'm not going to make a comparison for Zu. If he reaches his full potential, I don't think I'll have seen a kicker like him in my lifetime. Still, I don't think that kicker was a need over outside linebacker. Just my opinion.

Aaron Brown - C+. Probably the only "bad" grade I'll give. I had never heard of Aaron Brown before he was drafted. Granted, he has fantastic splash plays, but I feel that there were better prospects that we could've had. Still, I felt the same way about Eugene Sims, so that should show how much I know. My comparison for Brown is another former Rainbow Warrior and Ram who happens to be one of my favorite players in the NFL: Pisa Tinoisamoa. Similar size, similar splash plays, similar history. If Brown has half the career that Tinoisamoa had, I'll be happy with the pick.

Daryl Richardson - B-. Richardson is a scatback with great hands. I don't think he'll see carries after Jackson and Pead, but he'll be a factor on special teams and as a receiver out of the backfield, which is more than you can hope for as a seventh round pick. Think Bernard Scott - who also happens to be Richardson's older brother.

Overall, this draft gets a solid B+. Like I said, this will either be the turning point of this franchise or it'll blow up in our faces. I'd very much prefer the former, so I'll be cheering for every one of these guys - and the undrafted free agents - to succeed.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Good write up Memento. I enjoyed reading that.

superfan24

Starter
Agreed nice post. Gotta blog that.
Saw Peter King write that Trumaine Johnson will be a player not highly known that will turn heads and have a big impact next season.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I loved the depth and potential of this draft. Filled lots of needs too. Pumped about watching Brockers, Quick, Jenkins, Pead, True, Givens and some of the later picks including FA's Daniels, Hill, Hoffman-Ellis, and 7th rounder Brown. The kickers look to be a good call although I don't get pumped about that suff, I get the importance. Really excited to have guys that can make plays in space and score on any given play with the ball in their hands like Pead, Givens and Jenkins on INTS and PR's. Those guys need to get fed along with the obvious in Quick.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did we not draft a tight end this year???????????
Grade A+ on that alone! Ha. We sure pick a bunch in the recent past.
The kicker Zu, that pick makes sense now with Josh hitting the bricks (second prize was a set of steak knifes).
With Josh gone, maybe we can win the close ones. We all questioned him last year, we didn't know what the heck was up with him. The punts Spags did instead of a FG try, it drove us nuts. Josh was so automatic and accurate for years and years, then the wheels flew off the bus, almost overnight.
This Zu pick may end up being one of the most significant picks of the draft. Picture this, it's 3 seconds left and a 52 yard FG is needed to win it in SF this coming season, AND we actually bring the FG unit on the field with confidence. Makes your mouth water!