So Google is mapping my every move?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
My wife is a very private person and uses zero social sites. I use Facebook to stay in touch with my son, his wife, and a couple of close friends. My wife and son went to London a few years ago and told me that there are cameras everywhere. America will be like that eventually if it isn't already and we just don't know about it yet. The only way to have total privacy these days is to disconnect from the internet and live in a cave somewhere.
There are more CCTV cameras in London than any other city. They can literally track your every movement.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No,what the hell is that? Did they put something in my brain? It couldn't have been anything large.

I'll give you an example.

Lets say you own a small clothing store and you have a small budget for advertising. You can pay to geofence malls, or competitors who draw lots of traffic. A "fence" based on location coordinates is set up around those locations (as many as you want) and anyone who walks through the wall/fence is captured.

Once captured if that person opens any of several thousand apps on their smartphone they can see a little banner ad for your store which they can click to call or to go to your site or to a page with more info.

One of the local high end outdoor mall/lifestyle areas here geofences the wealthy areas of Naples and Bonita all the time. Very effective.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll give you an example.

Lets say you own a small clothing store and you have a small budget for advertising. You can pay to geofence malls, or competitors who draw lots of traffic. A "fence" based on location coordinates is set up around those locations (as many as you want) and anyone who walks through the wall/fence is captured.

Once captured if that person opens any of several thousand apps on their smartphone they can see a little banner ad for your store which they can click to call or to go to your site or to a page with more info.

One of the local high end outdoor mall/lifestyle areas here geofences the wealthy areas of Naples and Bonita all the time. Very effective.
Effective, but creepy.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
You're walking around with a GPS in your pocket. How the hell do you think they give you information via google maps? The GPS has to ping the satellite every so often to update the position, it's just a by-product of the technology. I seriously doubt that there's any sinister motive behind it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You're walking around with a GPS in your pocket. How the hell do you think they give you information via google maps? The GPS has to ping the satellite every so often to update the position, it's just a by-product of the technology. I seriously doubt that there's any sinister motive behind it.

And it takes 4 seconds to turn off location services...... :)