Snitches Get Stitches

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I was curious how many people on here were raised on this and hold it true to this day or how many are against it. Do you teach your children?

My story

I was raised around drugs. Drug deals happened in my life from my earliest memory up until 12 when some murders happened and people disappeared(shit you not)

Well, from as far back as I remember I was always taught, “didn’t see shit, didn’t hear shit, don’t know shit.” And I truly believe in this. The only way I would snitch on anything is if it was child related. I can honestly say I could witness something like a murder, and I truly don’t believe I would say a damn thing.

My wife is the opposite. She would give me up in a second if she knew I killed someone...never tell where the bodies are! Lol

But I raise my kids like this as well. Not to the extreme that I was brought up with. But I won’t hear any snitching out of them on each other. I make sure they at least known to never snitch on family.

I’ll tell ya, when D.A.R.E started in school, my parents were tripping out. They made sure I knew daily! Lol

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
It's more context dependent for me. If I'm going to outright lie for somebody I either need to owe them or they need to be family (chosen family; blood relations don't mean that much; Dad, you're cool don't worry). If I can rationalize what I'm saying as not lying, maybe I'll do it depending on what it's about.

I don't want my kids snitching on each other to me, but I also don't want them getting into things that are really potentially harmful without somebody giving me a heads up. It's not snitching if your trying to help the person not die.

I have known people during my time in the military that would complain about things going on in the barracks, but wouldn't say who or what exactly was going on. You can't expect shit to get better if you're going to protect those doing the worst. If you see people stealing stuff in your neighborhood you can't complain about it unless you're going to "snitch" on them. You just have to live with the fact that you're allowing someone to stay things and your silence is helping their cause. Same thing for drug deals, property damage, etc.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you answered your question in your original post. It applies to the culture that surrounds the definition of snitching. Even the fact that the reference for turning someone in is called snitching refers to the culture that term is used. What I mean to say is there is a difference between snitching and turning someone in.

I don't pretend to know the conditions in which you were raised, or what you were taught as a child. However, I can go out on a limb and guess that not becoming a snitch was a positive thing. You didn't get hurt, your family didn't get hurt from retribution, and a family member or friend didn't got to jail either. That culture is very different than a citizen witnessing a crime where they were totally uninvolved and not reporting what they saw and heard.

The popular theory is that if citizens aide the police in turning over criminals by telling them what they witnessed or heard, your community would be a better place. The police can't be everywhere. Citizens could use their voice to be a deterrent to crime. I think you know this theory is hardly proven.

To some it's about survival. To others it's merely to do the right thing.