Snead and Boudreau at Matthews Pro Day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
2014 Pro Days: Texas A&M OT Matthews draws crowd
By Jeff Reynolds | NFLDraftScout.com
March 5, 2014 12:17 pm ET

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...374/pro-days-texas-am-ot-matthews-draws-crowd

For the second consecutive day, the St. Louis Rams were front and center leading the pro day workout of a top-ranked offensive tackle.

After directing Auburn's Greg Robinson, NFLDraftScout.com's No. 2 overall prospect, through his position-specific routine Tuesday, Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau pushed Texas A&M offensive tackle Jake Matthews -- our third-ranked prospect -- through drills in College Station, Texas, at the Aggies' pro day Wednesday.

The Rams contingent included general manager Les Snead, widely regarded as the top target to deal down in the 2014 draft from No. 2. Because St. Louis is set at defensive end and, as the Rams maintain, quarterback, moving down would open the possibility of drafting Matthews, projected to be drafted anywhere from No. 6-12. Boudreau is a 27-year veteran with a notable list of first-round pick pupils including seven-time Pro Bowl tackle Orlando Pace, left tackle Todd Steussie (Vikings, Panthers) and Lomas Brown (Lions).

"I want to reiterate what I've put on film all year," Matthews said last month. "I want to put up good numbers and show I'm the best tackle."

Bills general manager Doug Whaley and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert -- teams with needs at offensive tackle -- were also spotted Wednesday. The Atlanta Falcons were represented and general manager Thomas Dimitroff has spoken highly of Matthews. Atlanta owns the sixth overall pick; the Bills pick ninth.

The son of 19-year NFL veteran and Hall of Fame tackle Bruce Matthews, Jake played right tackle -- 33 consecutive starts -- until shifting to the left side to replaced 2013 second overall pick Luke Joeckel.

Like Joeckel, Matthews is just 22 years old, technically sound and athletic enough to remain at left tackle regardless of offensive scheme. In direct comparisons with Robinson, many observers give Robinson the runaway advantage. Matthews is still a solid athlete. He was a high school quarterback until he grew into an offensive lineman's frame midway through his sophomore season. Scouts see him as a plug-and-play left tackle, but he could line up at any of the five offensive line positions and succeed.

He is one of three Aggies with first-round grades from NFLDraftScout.com. Quarterback Johnny Manziel and wide receiver Mike Evans were in attendance Wednesday but will wait to work out for teams until March 27.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Nice to see that Boudreau was running the drills for both of these workouts. We will get the best available in his mind and that is great with me.(y)

Last edited:

jap

Legend
Nice to see distinguished OL Professor Coach Bou involved with the workouts of both top OT candidates!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am sure sees he has so much more work to do on GR when compared to JM. Hey boss Fisher has Boudreau earned some relaxation? Then draft JM.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I do think it is looking more and more like the Rams are going to use their first pick (hopefully not #2 overall) on a T. Man - I hope so.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams show interest in offensive tackles
By Chase Goodbread

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000331038/article/rams-show-interest-in-offensive-tackles

If the St. Louis Rams are interested in an offensive tackle with the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft, they aren't hiding it especially well. A day after Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreaux took an especially keen interest in the pro day workout of offensive tackle Greg Robinson of Auburn, he did much the same with Texas A&M tackle Jake Matthews, according to cbssports.com.

Robinson and Matthews are in strong contention to be the first offensive tackle drafted. With the No. 2 overall pick, the Rams, at worst, can have one of the two, and most likely would get their choice of either. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah has identified offensive line as a position of need for the Rams. Reportedly, the club met privately with Matthews after his pro day workout was done. Rams coach Jeff Fisher is perhaps a bit more familiar with Matthews than most coaches, having coached his Hall of Fame father, Bruce Matthews, for eight seasons.

Robinson let his impressive NFL Scouting Combine performance (4.92 40-yard dash) stand on pro day, and went through position drills with Boudreaux at five pounds lighter (327) than he was at the combine two weeks ago.

Although Robinson showed as much athleticism for a big man that any NFL club could hope for in Indianapolis, the Rams didn't take it easy on him in his formal interview with the club. Boudreaux grilled the early-entry prospect on mistakes he made in Auburn's lone regular-season loss to LSU.

"Before they could finish, I explained," Robinson told sportsonearth.com. "It was early in the year. I manned up. I didn't make any excuses."

Michigan's pro day is scheduled for March 12. And by these indications, Wolverines offensive tackle Taylor Lewan -- a first-round prospect himself -- should get prepared for a face full of Boudreaux.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

NFL Media Draft Analyst Mike Mayock was at the University of Auburn to witness several players pro day in person. Mayock has the breakdown of the each player’s performances. Greg Robinson was “As Advertised” and “Effortless”. Includes clips from the workouts.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think it is looking more and more like the Rams are going to use their first pick (hopefully not #2 overall) on a T. Man - I hope so.

This pleases jrry32.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you remember if they ran any O-linemen through similar workouts last year jrry?

I do not. I remember Waufle did it with Brockers in 2011. And I think Sherman put Stedman and Tavon through private workouts last year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I do not. I remember Waufle did it with Brockers in 2011. And I think Sherman put Stedman and Tavon through private workouts last year.
I take it you mean 2012. But interesting. This seems to be a GM/HC combination that doesn't believe in conducting business through smoke screens. And yet they are still able to work the trade table.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'd be really happy if we got J. Matthews. If they have the choice of the two and feel he'a the best OT, I'm totally down with that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd be really happy if we got J. Matthews. If they have the choice of the two and feel he'a the best OT, I'm totally down with that.

He's my favourite olinemen in this draft, hands down.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Most pollished and NFL ready, for sure.

I love the bloodlines too. He could get injured, I get that, but his DNA suggests he'll hold up well in the NFL. That carries a lot of weight with me!

Alan

Legend
I'm not a big fan of Matthews but I'm fast coming to the conclusion that he's the safest OT available. I think we should take him with our first pick. Hopefully that won't be at #2.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I love the bloodlines too. He could get injured, I get that, but his DNA suggests he'll hold up well in the NFL. That carries a lot of weight with me!

It's something to factor in. It's not something that weighs heavy with me, but it's a nice perk.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

It's something to factor in. It's not something that weighs heavy with me, but it's a nice perk.

I figure the coaches saw what they needed to. But having this in his make-up certainly doesn't hurt in my book. I am leaning toward Robinson but this personally could sway me toward Mathews if I'm a coach and the two are practically dead even in pluses and minuses.