Snaps vs GB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Offense
20231106_082607.jpg

Defense
20231106_082640.jpg

ST
Screenshot_20231106_082453_Drive.jpg

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Rams PFF grades: Best and worst performers vs. Packers in Week 9

1776776306.jpg

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6)]GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN - NOVEMBER 05: Kobie Turner #91 of the Los Angeles Rams reacts after the Green Bay Packers missed a field goal in the second quarter of a game at Lambeau Field on November 05, 2023 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. (Photo by

Cameron DaSilva

The Los Angeles Rams had their worst game of the season on Sunday, losing to the Green Bay Packers, 20-3. With Matthew Stafford, Rob Havenstein and Ernest Jones all missing due to injuries, the Rams were shorthanded and overmatched by a Packers team that had lost four in a row.
The Pro Football Focus grades put into perspective just how poorly the offense played, despite the offensive line putting together a decent showing in pass protection with only six pressures allowed.

Here are the best and worst performers on each side of the ball.

Top 5 offense

USATSI_21827341.jpg

• WR Cooper Kupp: 69.8
  • RG Kevin Dotson: 67.4
  • C Coleman Shelton: 66.3
  • LG Steve Avila: 64.1
  • TE Brycen Hopkins: 60.0
The Rams didn’t have a single offensive player grade out higher than a 70 in this one, which is hardly surprising. They only scored three points and had 187 total yards, and Sean McVay struggled to find any positive takeaways from the loss.
Kupp only caught two passes for 48 yards, with a long of 34 yards.
Dotson only allowed one pressure and Shelton was nearly perfect in pass protection, allowing zero pressures or hits; his pass-blocking grade of 84.8 was the highest on the team, slightly ahead of Avila’s 84.7. Avila only allowed one pressure at left guard.
Hopkins played 11 snaps and ran seven routes but wasn’t targeted a single time.

Top 5 defense

AP-Cardinals-Rams-Football-27.jpg

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6)]Los Angeles Rams safety Quentin Lake (37), left, recovers a fumble during the second half of an NFL football game against the Arizona Cardinals Sunday, Oct. 15, 2023, in Inglewood, Calif. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis) ORG XMIT: CAPU101[/COLOR]

• OLB Michael Hoecht: 72.5
  • S Quentin Lake: 71.9
  • OLB Byron Young: 67.8
  • S Jordan Fuller: 67.7
  • CB Ahkello Witherspoon: 67.1
Hoecht had a solid performance for the third straight week, tying for the team lead with two pressures.
Lake was targeted twice and gave up two catches, but they only totaled 8 yards. He was the Rams’ primary slot defender on Sunday.
Young had two pressures, each of which went for sacks, and he also forced one fumble.
Fuller had seven tackles and forced a fumble on Aaron Jones, which Duke Shelley recovered.
Witherspoon gave up just one catch on two targets, allowing 17 yards in coverage.

Bottom 5 offense

1776879419.jpg

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6)]GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN – NOVEMBER 05: Tutu Atwell #5 of the Los Angeles Rams catches a pass in the third quarter of a game against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field on November 05, 2023 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. (Photo by John Fisher/Getty Images)[/COLOR]

• LT Alaric Jackson: 54.5
  • RT Joe Noteboom: 54.0
  • WR Tutu Atwell: 53.2
  • WR Ben Skowronek: 50.1
  • TE Tyler Higbee: 47.7
It was another rough week for both Jackson and Noteboom. Noteboom allowed three pressures at right tackle and Jackson gave up one on the left side, but it was the run game where they really struggled. They had the two worst run-blocking grades on the team, coming in at 37.1 for Noteboom and 37.8 for Jackson.
Atwell had four catches but they only went for 13 total yards, so he was a non-factor.
Skowronek was not targeted a single time and had a run-blocking grade of 58.5.
Higbee hasn’t played well as of late, and he dropped his only target of the game on Sunday.

Bottom 5 defense

USP-NFL_-Los-Angeles-Rams-at-Green-Bay-Packers.jpg

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6)]Nov 5, 2023; Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA; Los Angeles Rams defensive back Duke Shelley (26) returns a fumble recovery during the third quarter against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports

• LB Troy Reeder: 44.5
  • LB Christian Rozeboom: 43.9
  • DT Larrell Murchison: 42.0
  • CB Duke Shelley: 38.8
  • OLB Zach VanValkenburg: 37.5
Reeder and Rozeboom had to step up with Ernest Jones out and neither of them played well. Rozeboom missed two tackles, and combined, they allowed seven catches on eight targets for 82 yards and a touchdown.
Murchison couldn’t hold up in the run game against the Packers and he also missed one tackle.
Shelley had a bigger role with Derion Kendrick being demoted, but it was with little success. He gave up five catches on six targets for 59 yards.
VanValkenburg had one assisted tackle in 10 snaps played, nine of which were as a run defender.

Other notables

1776817226.jpg

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.6)]GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN – NOVEMBER 05: Jordan Love #10 of the Green Bay Packers tries to escape a tackle by Aaron Donald #99 of the Los Angeles Rams in the third quarter of a game at Lambeau Field on November 05, 2023 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. (Photo by Patrick McDermott/Getty Images)

• NT Kobie Turner: 65.1
  • DT Aaron Donald: 64.0
  • WR Puka Nacua: 57.5
  • QB Brett Rypien: 54.6
Turner continues to flash each week, not only playing the most snaps of any Rams defensive lineman, but finishing with the highest grade. He had 10 tackles and one sack, flashing throughout the game as a run stopper and pass rusher.
Donald had three stops and two pressures, including a key third-down sack that helped hold the Packers to only a field goal.
Nacua had a quiet afternoon with only three catches for 32 yards, with another drop – his sixth of the season.

Last edited:

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I thought I saw more 12 personnel packages than I actually did. Based on those numbers.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Rypien having a rating over 50% tells me all I need to know about PFF ratings.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rypien having a rating over 50% tells me all I need to know about PFF ratings.
Brycen Hopkins getting a positive grade on any metric is enough for me to call BS
His 60 in comparison to Aaron Donald's 64 is just monumentally laughable

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Brycen Hopkins getting a positive grade on any metric is enough for me to call BS
His 60 in comparison to Aaron Donald's 64 is just monumentally laughable
Years ago, I did an in-depth review of available information on how Pro Football Focus conducted its Ratings.

In my opinion, it was flawed and ripe for criticism. There was subjective analysis; and more surprisingly, the ratings were based in part on PFF's perception of the opponent.

For example, if Seattle was playing San Francisco, and PFF's perception of the 49ers' defense was Very Good but not Elite (my terms, not theirs), that would impact the ratings of the Seahawks' offensive players.
If hypothetically, the same two teams played one month later, and PFF's perception of the 49ers' defense had improved to Elite; and the exact same Seattle offensive players put up the exact same numbers ... their PFF ratings for the second game would be different.

The only change being PFF's perceptions / evaluations entering the games.

I posted a long summary on another Forum (my pre-ROD days) but that's long since lost.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I posted a long summary on another Forum (my pre-ROD days) but that's long since lost.
PFF is total garbage IMO. Only thing missing is a t at the end of the name.
Seems like its last line of defense of someone who is trying to appeal to a higher authority in a debate. Ya know, when statistics and the eye ball test tell a completely different story

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
PFF is total garbage IMO. Only thing missing is a t at the end of the name.
Seems like its last line of defense of someone who is trying to appeal to a higher authority in a debate. Ya know, when statistics and the eye ball test tell a completely different story
Another example for me would be Derion Kendrick ... but that's just my opinion