Snap Counts vs Panthers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/09/nfl-rams-week-1-snap-counts-panthers/

gettyimages-1173198980.jpg

Rams snap counts: Rapp outplays Hager, Higbee and Everett split time

By: Cameron DaSilva | 42 minutes ago

The preseason was filled with backups getting just about all the playing time for the Los Angeles Rams, but the regular season was obviously a very different story. Sean McVay leaned heavily on his starters in Week 1 against the Panthers on Sunday, playing few backups on offense.
McVay and Wade Phillips dug deeper into the defensive depth chart, though, utilizing several more players on that side of the ball.

The snap counts from the season opener are below and we’ll analyze them here, beginning with the offense.

Offense

week-1-snap-counts-offense.png

• The Rams went with a shared backfield, but the split between Todd Gurley and Malcolm Brown wasn’t nearly as close as many thought it was. It just felt like Brown was in there more than he was because he scored two touchdowns and was heavily involved when he was on the field. He carried the ball 11 times on only 21 snaps compared to 14 carries on 54 snaps for Gurley.
  • Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett both got their share of opportunities, playing 40 and 30 snaps, respectively. They split time at tight end with neither player getting more than 52 percent of the reps. Everett was only targeted once, while Higbee had five catches come his way.
  • Cooper Kupp is fully back, playing 90 percent of the snaps on Sunday. That was third among the wide receivers, with Robert Woods playing 95 percent and Brandin Cooks 92 percent. Kupp wasn’t on any sort of snap counts, which is great news
Defense

week-1-snap-counts-defense.png

• There was a lot of talk this offseason after Micah Kiser was ruled out for the year and the Rams were forced to slide Bryce Hager in at linebacker. Well, as many predicted, his role wasn’t that big. Hager played just 25 snaps, or 37 percent. The Rams utilized nickel packages often on Sunday, which put more defensive backs on the field.
  • That’s where Taylor Rapp came into play. He was out there for 32 snaps, filling in as a dime linebacker and third safety. Wade Phillips said last week that Rapp would be more than just a backup, and he was. He had seven tackles in the game.
  • Clay Matthews’ lower usage is somewhat surprising. He played just 69 percent of the snaps, which is only 20 percent more than Samson Ebukam. Matthews had a sack early in the game, but that came on a busted play. Other than that, he didn’t show up much as a pass rusher.
  • The Rams probably won’t use any of their backup corners much. Outside of the three starters, not a single one took a snap on Sunday. The Rams preferred to put Rapp and Marqui Christian out there as extra defensive backs.
  • Sebastian Joseph-Day was the only true nose tackle active on Sunday and he only played 54 percent of the snaps. The Rams rotated their defensive linemen and got Morgan Fox and Tanzel Smart out there for 29 total snaps.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
From this excellent post provided by @shovelpass .....By this first game "Snap counts" this past Sunday we now can get a good ideal what Wade is going to do this 2019 season with his starters.

I had been post a lot on it but my comments did not get much of any discussions from members here. Below is my latest post:

"I would suppose that we might see more of what we got a glimpse of in preseason where Wade will pull both starting Inside LB'ers & insert an extra 3rd safety & 3rd pass rushing ER to go with his Nickle corner. 2 DL'ers, 3 ER'ers, 3 safeties & 3 corners. I would suspect that 3rd roving ER'er will primarily be Clay Matthews. "

W
ade/Henderson appears to have no plans on a heavy use of NT Sebastian Joseph-Day. Moderating to using two DT's primarily Donald/Brockers & secondary Smart/Fox with Dante Fowler Jr. being the primary OLB/ER''er on either side of the two DT's & either OLB/ER Matthews or Ebukam on the other side.

The HD use of four safeties:
JJ III-100%/67 snaps
Christian-61%/41 snaps (n) :mad:
Rapp-48%/32 snaps
Weddle-39%/26 snaps

was highly unusual for the NFL today

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Matthews mentioned postgame that he left due to back spasms.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Game Day Inactives
WR Nsimba Webster
CB David Long Jr.
LB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo
C Coleman Shelton
LT Bobby Evans
TE Johnny Mundt
DT Greg Gaines

Was surprised to see Gaines and Obo not active and on the field.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Reynolds didn’t do much with his snaps. Will be interesting to see how much action he gets this year.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would suppose that we might see more of what we got a glimpse of in preseason where Wade will pull both starting Inside LB'ers & insert an extra 3rd safety & 3rd pass rushing ER to go with his Nickle corner. 2 DL'ers, 3 ER'ers, 3 safeties & 3 corners. I would suspect that 3rd roving ER'er will primarily be Clay Matthews. "

W
ade/Henderson appears to have no plans on a heavy use of NT Sebastian Joseph-Day. Moderating to using two DT's primarily Donald/Brockers & secondary Smart/Fox with Dante Fowler Jr. being the primary OLB/ER''er on either side of the two DT's & either OLB/ER Matthews or Ebukam on the other side.

The HD use of four safeties:
JJ III-100%/67 snaps
Christian-61%/41 snaps (n) :mad:
Rapp-48%/32 snaps
Weddle-39%/26 snaps

was highly unusual for the NFL today
Pretty close. Littleton played 100%, like last season he's an every down LB, as long as he is healthy I would assume he plays every snap. It looks like Rapp will take on the other "ILB" position for Hager in nickel D like Christian for Wilson last season. The only reason Christian played was to fill in for Weddle. Based on percentages it looks like SJD might have had some reps outside of base defense. He played 54%, while the nickel corner NRC played 63%. He could've been a DT in nickel/dime or maybe they went with a 3-3-5 formation, it'll be fun to look at the different lineups thought the season. Matthews had some snaps at ILB too.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Was surprised to see Gaines and Obo not active and on the field.
The thing with Gaines is that right now he's the backup NT, which is a part time position, and behind Fox and Smart as 3/5-Tech DTs. So he'll have to surpass those players on the depth chart to see playing time, because having 6 active DL, 2 of which won't be used often or at all is waste. With Obo it probably came down to STs.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing with Gaines is that right now he's the backup NT, which is a part time position, and behind Fox and Smart as 3/5-Tech DTs. So he'll have to surpass those players on the depth chart to see playing time, because having 6 active DL and 2 won't be used often or at all is waste. With Obo it probably came down to STs.
Gaines is a little harder to move even on double teams, and that would have been valuable in a rotation in the first game. But either way I expect him to be active and see more and more snaps as we go forward. Saints' run game from the RSR perspective is extremely potent with two backs that scored in the Gurley range last season, so getting stuffs on them is critical and I think Gaines will factor in.

Obo I think will start to see playing time as well. Ebukam (who he will compete with for that active roster spot) had some good plays (and one big one) but he also struggles in his drops, looking awkward in space or even whiffing on the initial contact and allowing free release. Granted, McCaffrey is a difficult target to get a hit on, but there is a big difference in those short passes when the LB gets some quick contact to delay the pattern a bit. Obo has really good instincts off ball and when it comes to Ebukam his special teams contributions the other day had some lowlights so that competition is just beginning IMO.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Two guys I'd like to see inactive next week:

Marqui Christian: Missed a special team block that led to a tipped punt. I also feel more comfortable with Rapp taking his reps. I think the helmet to helmet was not the correct call, not much else Christian could have done accept get to the ball earlier.

Reeder - Blocked air on the blocked punt. We chose to put him on the roster over Dakota Allen?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It likely was, Reeder had no snaps and Ebukam had a lot on ST.
Just checked it was Reeder. Will need to go back and look at the other punts, could have sworn they had Ebu on the right end and he struggled early on; there were near-misses on the previous punts from that spot but going from memory which is obviously flawed.

Oh and I'm with him on Christian too. His days are numbered with Rapp onboard, as long as we get Weddle back.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Gaines is a little harder to move even on double teams, and that would have been valuable in a rotation in the first game. But either way I expect him to be active and see more and more snaps as we go forward. Saints' run game from the RSR perspective is extremely potent with two backs that scored in the Gurley range last season, so getting stuffs on them is critical and I think Gaines will factor in.
I'm excited to see what Gaines can do, because of his ability to penetrate I think he could be a factor getting to the QB in base D. I'm sure he'll see the field at some point, it might come down to matchups and styles and who fits better on the active 46. Fox ok and I didn't really see anything good or bad from Smart.

Looking back at the game yesterday the biggest problems with the run D were gap assignments and playing the pass instead of the run, much like last season. Early on in the 1st half on too different plays both Fowler and Mathews failed to contain the edge allowing McCaffrey to run free for about 10-15 yards each. Then on the 2 big running plays in the 2nd half the Rams were up by and expecting the Panthers to pass. The Panthers called an inside zone or draw, the Rams are in nickel defense both Donald and Brockers shoot their gap trying to get to Newton allowing McCaffrey to run up the gut with 3 blockers clearing the way.