Smollett gets all charges dropped

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • It is a pretty good bet he mailed the powder to himself. Federal crime.

He's been under investigation for that for a few weeks now. I'm now wondering if the FBI asked Cook County to drop the charges so they could take over both parts of the hoax. Well two hoaxes actually.

I don't know if they can even make that request.

@jrry32 can they do that? Also if the county drops the charges does the FBI have the option then of picking up the investigation or is there a formal process to hand it over.

This guy is a real dumbass. He's claiming he didn't do this even now. But didn't he say to investigators that he did it because he was unhappy with what he was being paid? That's incredibly stupid.

I can't imagine having a friend do something like this and remaining friends with that person. Maybe I could I don't know, but this is a giant deal. This could have sparked some riots. And in this current climate he should have known that, and he should have known that his celebrity would assure a really, really thorough investigation and that he would almost certainly get caught.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
At least he forfeits his $100,000 bail. Essentially he bought his way out of it with a "donation" to Cook County.
My understanding is that he posted 10% of the actual bail as is the norm but would have to forfeit $100,000 if he fled. The amount that Cook County received in the "deal" was $10,000. I'm going to guess he cost the city and county far more than that.

I'm not going to pretend that I really know what took place in the dropping of charges. But it seems awful fishy. Why would Foxx email her colleagues to see if they could find case law to back up the dropping of charges if she had indeed fully recused herself from the case? Since when is being involved in the case an example of recusal?

What business besides behind the scenes influence would a high profile lawyer that worked for the first lady have in suggesting ANYTHING to the Cook County DA? Some can say that it doesn't make sense or that there is no proof of influence pedaling, etc... But it sure as hell doesn't pass the smell test.

As to what the AG would have to do with anything, I believe the office would have to allocate resources and direct the FBI to investigate. I could be wrong here but I do believe the AG office would have to be involved.

Now..... Hate crimes can be prosecuted at both the state and federal level - no? Wouldn't this be a hate crime if a hoax was created based on racial and sexual hate? I'm not so sure that the mail issue is the only one that will be looked at on a federal level.

If this guy is guilty as most expect, I want the book thrown at him. It is truly disgusting to attempt to further divide the nation in a look at me pity ploy.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
That's not what you were implying earlier. But okay. We can agree on that and move on.
No I wasn't implying that. Given politics is a no no here and my belief that politics is at the heart of this hoax it is difficult to respond efficiently to your "she is his lawyer" schtick. She is a well connected politico. Connected to the highest power structure in Chicago and thus the state. Unless she is a well known and well respected criminal lawyer (haven't looked her up in M-H) why would she be involved? I believe she was involved more so for those Smollett could roll over on rather or in addition to Smollett.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry, it is interesting how much confidence you have in dismissing the corrupt actions of Foxx, and contort details and look for nuances to exonerate the actions and behavior of Foxx, (do you represent her?) and you seem to go into lawyer-ese language, as though we should all step back and be intimidated, and not recognize what is in front of our eyes:
  • Smollett concocted a hoax, perhaps in conjunction with others, to implicate Trump supporters as being racist, and anti-homosexual. It was a foolish, and non-believable set of details, with the rope, the liquid dumped on him, even the racist taunts, "This is MAGA country!" Chicago?
  • It is a pretty good bet he mailed the powder to himself. Federal crime.
  • Yes there is the MO/Smollett, along with other politicians, as you know. Smollett is very politicized. His intentions were very dangerous. Riots could easily ensued from his bogus scheme. A full investigation NEEDS to happen, and all parties that were part of the crimes need to be investigated, and prosecuted. You, as a lawyer, know the importance of nobody being above the law. Equal application of the law. No Green Privilege for those that can buy their way out of trouble. And really Jrry, once you set down your briefcase, you know that is what happened here.

It remains to be seen what her goal was in shifting the case to the FBI. This ain't over. But be sure, her motives were not pure. You really need to drop that pipe dream.

Foxx recused herself when charges were filed. I'm not sure how I used legalese to try and intimidate anyone. I presented the facts. I analyzed the facts. I offered my conclusion based on my relevant experience and knowledge. Frankly, it seems like you came to a preconceived conclusion based on political reasons and don't care to change it. That's fine, but I am telling you that your original post was inaccurate and the facts don't support your theory.

The simple reality to the criminal justice system is money matters. Just look at bail. The rich get out. The poor stay locked up.

He's been under investigation for that for a few weeks now. I'm now wondering if the FBI asked Cook County to drop the charges so they could take over both parts of the hoax. Well two hoaxes actually.

I don't know if they can even make that request.

@jrry32 can they do that? Also if the county drops the charges does the FBI have the option then of picking up the investigation or is there a formal process to hand it over.

This guy is a real dumbass. He's claiming he didn't do this even now. But didn't he say to investigators that he did it because he was unhappy with what he was being paid? That's incredibly stupid.

I can't imagine having a friend do something like this and remaining friends with that person. Maybe I could I don't know, but this is a giant deal. This could have sparked some riots. And in this current climate he should have known that, and he should have known that his celebrity would assure a really, really thorough investigation and that he would almost certainly get caught.

The FBI can investigate it, but since they were state crimes, they would have to be charged at the state level. And the state just made a deal to drop the charges. The FBI will only investigate what could lead to federal charges. If any federal charges are possible, it would be referred to the United States Attorney's Office. As for Smollett, I don't know if he admitted that or not. If he did, that would be enough to charge mail fraud if they prove he mailed the letter.

No I wasn't implying that. Given politics is a no no here and my belief that politics is at the heart of this hoax it is difficult to respond efficiently to your "she is his lawyer" schtick. She is a well connected politico. Connected to the highest power structure in Chicago and thus the state. Unless she is a well known and well respected criminal lawyer (haven't looked her up in M-H) why would she be involved? I believe she was involved more so for those Smollett could roll over on rather or in addition to Smollett.

Well, there's another misrepresentation. Please, stick to the facts. I didn't say she was his lawyer. She is a lawyer. She reached out on behalf of the Smollett family, according to the articles. She was not one of the lawyers who represented Smollett for the criminal matter.

Why would she be involved? As you said, because she's connected. The point I have made repeatedly is that you implied that she wanted the FBI to take the case over to protect Smollett because she knew he lied. I pointed out why the FBI taking over the investigation accomplishes the opposite of that. At this point, there's nothing more I can say. The explanations are out there on the page for those who care to read them.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Foxx recused herself when charges were filed. I'm not sure how I used legalese to try and intimidate anyone. I presented the facts. I analyzed the facts. I offered my conclusion based on my relevant experience and knowledge. Frankly, it seems like you came to a preconceived conclusion based on political reasons and don't care to change it. That's fine, but I am telling you that your original post was inaccurate and the facts don't support your theory.

The simple reality to the criminal justice system is money matters. Just look at bail. The rich get out. The poor stay locked up.

Not being political Jrry. Just looking at the facts, too. You are hashing out the judicial realities. I believe you, and trust that you are right.

I get it. Clever Chicago lawyers have cleared Smollett of consequenses. I am more speaking to the reality that these people are scum. Legally cleared scum.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Well, there's another misrepresentation. Please, stick to the facts. I didn't say she was his lawyer. She is a lawyer. She reached out on behalf of the Smollett family, according to the articles. She was not one of the lawyers who represented Smollett for the criminal matter.

Why would she be involved? As you said, because she's connected. The point I have made repeatedly is that you implied that she wanted the FBI to take the case over to protect Smollett because she knew he lied. I pointed out why the FBI taking over the investigation accomplishes the opposite of that. At this point, there's nothing more I can say. The explanations are out there on the page for those who care to read them.
No it never mattered if she knew he lied. Get your facts straight. Is she a criminal lawyer? If not then it is clear what she was doing. She was getting information. You think it was for the benefit of Smollett. I don't.

nighttrain

Legend
My understanding is that he posted 10% of the actual bail as is the norm but would have to forfeit $100,000 if he fled. The amount that Cook County received in the "deal" was $10,000. I'm going to guess he cost the city and county far more than that.

If this guy is guilty as most expect, I want the book thrown at him. It is truly disgusting to attempt to further divide the nation in a look at me pity ploy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not being political Jrry. Just looking at the facts, too. You are hashing out the judicial realities. I believe you, and trust that you are right.

I get it. Clever Chicago lawyers have cleared Smollett of consequenses. I am more speaking to the reality that these people are scum. Legally cleared scum.

Well, he can posture like that happened, but the fact they made a deal doesn't indicate he was cleared at all. First-time offenders are often given terms that result in the charges being dropped/dismissed if they comply. That doesn't make them innocent.

No it never mattered if she knew he lied. Get your facts straight. Is she a criminal lawyer? If not then it is clear what she was doing. She was getting information. You think it was for the benefit of Smollett. I don't.

Okay, dude, you're not even making sense. But it's clear I thought we were debating about A, and you thought it was about B. No point in continuing to argue.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Okay, dude, you're not even making sense. But it's clear I thought we were debating about A, and you thought it was about B. No point in continuing to argue.
I agree you weren't making sense to me.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
He should be charged federally with a hate crime. The Chicago PD has already done nearly all the leg work the feds would need to get a conviction. It would be surprising, and very disappointing, if the Feds don't indict and try him. The IL AG needs to reinstate the charges or the feds should try him. EDIT Hardly any of the hoaxers are ever prosecuted, and that's just bullshit. Look, this motherfucker is still sticking by his dumbass story, and has not admitted guilt or apologized. Don't know if it's true, but I've heard that Kamala Harris is his cousin, and is also involved in getting the charges dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.