Slightly OT: Steven Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Okay, I know he isn't a Rams player anymore, but I have a lot of respect for him. All I've been able to find is that Atlanta may or may not bring him back this season. Anyone know anything more than that?

A55VA6

Legend
I love the guy, but I think it's time to call it a career. Not sure what the Falcons plans are with him though.

PolarBear

Rookie
Atlanta will keep him this year imo, but he will be gone next year. The problem is they have nobody better on their roster or in free agency to play any better. The dead money is only like 1mil too if they cut him after this year. He's got very little left though. I wouldn't add Jackson if he was cut, we have a crowded backfield already and I wouldn't take carries away from the young players in favor of an old player w/ next to nothing left.

Its sad we ruined him, imagine how good he would be if he got to run behind our current oline his whole career.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When he does hang it up, I'd like to see the Rams sign him for a game, so he could retire a Ram. He still can pass block better than most RB and that might keep him around a bit longer.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Atlanta will keep him this year imo, but he will be gone next year. The problem is they have nobody better on their roster or in free agency to play any better. The dead money is only like 1mil too if they cut him after this year. He's got very little left though. I wouldn't add Jackson if he was cut, we have a crowded backfield already and I wouldn't take carries away from the young players in favor of an old player w/ next to nothing left.

Its sad we ruined him, imagine how good he would be if he got to run behind our current oline his whole career.
He would have been devastating if he would have had holes UP THE MIDDLE to run through his whole career. Way too many times he had to try and bounce it outside, not his game.
That being said, thank God we let him walk last year. Brilliant move that should give every Ram fan confidence that our brass knows what they are doing....

SierraRam

Recreational User
He turns 31 in July. The Falcons are saying he's still the stater for now, but there's a lot of talk around Atlanta saying to just take the loss and cut ties.

Not the ending SJ deserves, but all too common for RB's these days...

Wouldn't mind if he picks up a CPOY award for his years of carrying us on his back

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He turns 31 in July. The Falcons are saying he's still the stater for now, but there's a lot of talk around Atlanta saying to just take the loss and cut ties.

Not the ending SJ deserves, but all too common for RB's these days...

Wouldn't mind if he picks up a CPOY award for his years of carrying us on his back

He should have had a career that would have been described as "glorious" or something like that, it's what he deserved with his talent, leadership and attitude. He was everything you could have wanted and the Rams couldn't ever get him an OL to cut him loose.

It makes me wish I had a time machine because if I did I'd go back to 2004 grab him and take him to Rams Park today.

cracengl

Rookie
He always needed an opening to make a difference, he was never a bounce outside guy. Living near Atlanta I can say his offense last year didn't do him any favors. Hell, the offensive line didn't do much of anything besides get beat.

RustyRay

Rookie
I think even at 31 he is the best option the Falcons have this year. I was pretty surprised they didnt take a back early in the draft this year. I believe he plays this season for them and has a decent year and then retires when he signs a one day contract with the Rams next offseason.

He was a great Ram and one of the only good players they had for some pretty lean years. He was a true pro, never complained...and worked his tail off and competed even when the chips were down year after year.

Steven Jackson is one of my favorite all time Rams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Regardless of what happens, I fully expect the Rams to sign him to a 1 or 10 day (whatever they did with Bruce and Holt) and let him retire officially as a Ram.

Jayman

UDFA
Okay, I know he isn't a Rams player anymore, but I have a lot of respect for him. All I've been able to find is that Atlanta may or may not bring him back this season. Anyone know anything more than that?
SJ39 is my all time favorite Ram. Nobody ever gave as much for this team as he did. He is the perfect example of an NFL pro to all young players. It was a shame he had to go to another team with a horrible offensive line as he would be a HOF shoe-in if he had ever had a hole to run through. I see him staying this year to mentor the younger backs and then getting released/retiring. Hopefully he will be able to retire a Ram.

Jayman

UDFA
He would have been devastating if he would have had holes UP THE MIDDLE to run through his whole career. Way too many times he had to try and bounce it outside, not his game.
That being said, thank God we let him walk last year. Brilliant move that should give every Ram fan confidence that our brass knows what they are doing....
Love the guy but I agree it was time to part ways. Maybe Matthews can help the ATL line enough to give him one more good year.

Jayman

UDFA
He always needed an opening to make a difference, he was never a bounce outside guy. Living near Atlanta I can say his offense last year didn't do him any favors. Hell, the offensive line didn't do much of anything besides get beat.
They beat the Rams, LOL.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I admired SJ39 for his heart, preparation, effort, production, fiery nature, leadership and maturity as the years went by putting it all out there for bad teams.

What i didn't admire was his short yardage ability for a 240 lb RB.
banghead.gif

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I admired SJ39 for his heart, preparation, effort, production, fiery nature, leadership and maturity as the years went by putting it all out there for bad teams.

banghead.gif
Concur, too much dancing, not enough bulldozing.

SierraRam

Recreational User

banghead.gif

If he did have a weakness, that was it. True, the holes weren't there most of the time, but at 240 'ripped' lbs, pick a gap and slam into it. He would dance sometimes when we only needed 1 yd. When we got Williams from TB in 2011, Jackson seemed to key in on the way Cadillac attacked the line on short yardage plays. That was his best short-yardage year IMO.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Question. How would SJ39 look behind our new and improved OL, would he produce better or not have much gas left in the tank at 30?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I miss SJ39. I just don't know if there's room on the roster for him on the roster, anymore. I don't even know if he's on the "vet minimum" price range, yet. I would cut somebody just out of respect, though. Winning a ring with him would be the best championship ever, for me.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Some selected comments from the Falcons official board - they seem to be optimistic for the most part.
--------------------------------
I have a feeling we are going to see a huge year out of SJax. With the added pressure of Freeman wanting to start and with the rebuilding of the right side of the line, the stars are alining for SJax to come out and show why he is who he is. I could be wrong, and im sure I will hear about it if I am, but as long as he is healthy I see a great season out of him.
----------------------------------
he's not the back he used to be but really looking for a great solid season from him.
----------------------------------
yep. and when he was getting 1000 yards 10 years straight, he was the key focul point of every D they ever played and they still couldnt stop him. Now they will have to worry about Roddy and Julio just as much if not more than SJax
-----------------------------------
I think he'd be lucky to get 800 yards this season. I just think we will use Freeman a lot for passing situations.

Jackson has questionable hands and he'll probably be a little slower than he was. He won't magically be the Rams Steven Jackson of old
---------------------------------
You guys really underestimate what a man of determination can do. I pitty the fool that gets in S. Jax's way this season, especially early. He's not going to break it open every down but, when he sees daylight LBs and DBs better curl up in the fetal position. The man has something to prove and I don't think stepping up to the plate has ever intimidated him. Look out!
------------------------------
If he stays healthy and gets 20 touches a game he will get 1000 yards easily
-----------------------------
And don't forget that the dude is actually healthy now. He showed last year towards the end of the season why we signed him. He was running tough like he always has. And like you said, upgraded the right side of our o line significantly, and maybe some added pressure from Freeman.
Ask Donte Hitner whether or not Jackson still runs hard. If Jackson stays healthy and the oline blocks, Jackson will run wild.

I believe some of you dislike certain players no matter what. But latch on to UDFA and anoint them after one season and are willing to fight when someone tells them to pump the brakes.
Sjax was a thousand yard runner every year except for like last year because he Ran into a brick wall called the falcons terrible offensive line.
I don't know what to think of Jackson atm. I love his attitude and work ethic. I know it's just OTAs but hearing that he was spotted watching Freeman working with the first team and was said to look a little perturbed it makes me wonder a little. I am guessing around 800yds and 6-7 TDs right now. I hope it's much much more but I have to wait and see.
I see a mediocre season or a June 1st cut.
---------------------------
Well obviously I'm kidding about the June 1st cut, since it is no longer June 1st, but I'm not kidding about the mediocre season, and here's why. We just drafted a RB that the coaches love and we have Quizz. That's 3 RB's competing for touches, which means that none of them are likely to see more than 10 touches a game. Jackson needs 20+ attempts per game to really get going and to generate the yards that he used to for the Rams, and that is not likely to happen.

I would love to see Jackson rip off big runs and be a huge running threat, but I think we'd be asking a lot of the guy to do it with limited opportunity. Also, it's been said that during Jackson's time in St. Louis that his big numbers came when games and seasons were long out of hand for the Rams to benefit from.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and I will eat crow if I am.
-------------------------------
He will be starting on the bench by the end of the season.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
He's a role player at this point, and I still can't think of anyone that's tougher to tackle once he gets a full head of steam going.