SJ: the best ever at getting 1 more yard?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I realize this is the 4th Steven Jackson thread on our front page... normally I'd frown adding another... but I wanted to focus on one topic;

Is he among the best ever at getting that extra yard or two before going down on runs when he's got some momentum going?

I'm not deeply knowledgable in the way-back history of the NFL...

But seeing SJ every Sunday for 9 years... I've never seen another player more consistently lower his shoulder for one more yard or two when he's going forward.

I bet there are some stats to back this up, somewhere.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This year; it's pretty easy to see that Peterson might be having one of the finest seasons ever. He is an amazing back with amazing skills. One of a kind.

My point isn't about this year or the best RB ever; that's a complicated equation and SJ falls short of the top RB's in several skill categories.

But, when he gets past the LOS... has anyone ever seen a better finisher?

I'd argue he might be the best finisher ever. That could be his niche to the HOF? (that, and achieving so much on such bad teams)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Earl Campbell, maybe?

My history is weak... but SJ and Earl seem like similar backs when it comes to the take down?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
Earl Campbell, maybe?

My history is weak... but SJ and Earl seem like similar backs when it comes to the take down?
Earl Campbell was a science experiment gone awry. That dude was ridonculous. I see a bit of that in Steven too though. I can't think of another back in the league, besides Jackson, who carries at least 4 or 5 guys with him on short yardage gains. And when he's in that pissed off mode, there is no equal.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
I agree on SJ and Campbell for sure. A really underrated guy in this regard was Jamaal Anderson from the Falcons as well as Chuck Muncie. There are more for sure but check some clips on Anderson. I recall that fucker constantly falling forward for an extra yard or two just when he seemed totally stuffed.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sum1BTRthnU said:
X said:
Bernie seems to think Peterson is better. :neh:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... cc612.html

I know you aren't a fan of Bernie...but honestly, I think MOST people think Adrian Peterson is better than Jackson.
Bernie doesn't bother me. We've spoken a few times. My only beef with him is when he panders to the crowd on their site. Calling them idiots and whatnot. But I also understand that's his niche. AP is probably the better back, but on short yardage situations (1 yard), I think the difference is negligible.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
smram said:
I agree on SJ and Campbell for sure. A really underrated guy in this regard was Jamaal Anderson from the Falcons as well as Chuck Muncie. There are more for sure but check some clips on Anderson. I recall that fucker constantly falling forward for an extra yard or two just when he seemed totally stuffed.
ell if we're starting a list, Pete Johnson and Christian Okoye aught to be on it.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
X said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:
X said:

I know you aren't a fan of Bernie...but honestly, I think MOST people think Adrian Peterson is better than Jackson.
Bernie doesn't bother me. We've spoken a few times. My only beef with him is when he panders to the crowd on their site. Calling them idiots and whatnot. But I also understand that's his niche. AP is probably the better back, but on short yardage situations (1 yard), I think the difference is negligible.

Well, aren't they? :bign:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sum1BTRthnU said:
X said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:
X said:

Good point.

It would be nice if he stopped flip-flopping too, but that's asking a lot.

PhxRam

It baffles me to no end how little they utilize Jackson in goal line situations.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
X said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:
X said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:
X said:

Good point.

Are we ever gonna get the steal cage match we've all dreamed of?

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Thordaddy said:
smram said:
ell if we're starting a list, Pete Johnson and Christian Okoye aught to be on it.

Yes.

I'll throw in John Riggins too. Larry Czonka was a bit before I was a regular fan.

Lesson

Oh, really?
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
Earl Campbell, maybe?

Earl Campbell was a science experiment gone awry. That dude was ridonculous. I see a bit of that in Steven too though. I can't think of another back in the league, besides Jackson, who carries at least 4 or 5 guys with him on short yardage gains. And when he's in that pissed off mode, there is no equal.

I still remember that game against the Lions where he carried the team to victory in Detroit for the only win of the season.

When SJ is pissed, the opponent will be feeling it the next day.

Also, about Bernie. I think his radio show is probably the best sports show in STL. I do think he writes a good article here and there as I felt very touched about his article on Rick Majerus, so much so that I started to tear up.

But that's a different story.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
X said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:
X said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:
X said:

Good point.

This is probably where I disagree with you the most. I rarely get the feeling he is taking a side. I think of all the media out there he is the only one that will praise someone when they deserve it while being critical when they deserve it as well.

Obviously you probably never read any of his work in regard to Cardinal baseball, but as an example...he'd heap a ton of praise on Pujols as a player...if you asked him about Pujols as a person he'd tell you about how Pujols is a very involved person with community and charity and has a big heart...but then he'd also tell you that he was kind of a jerk to the media in the clubhouse. He's also told many stories about Tony LaRussa getting upset with him about an article but other times where Tony would invite him into his office to talk ball.

Obviously, you can gather whatever opinion of Bernies writing you want, but I see him as one of the more objective (rather than flip-flopping) and open-minded writers without an agenda that there is in town.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sum1BTRthnU said:
Obviously, you can gather whatever opinion of Bernies writing you want, but I see him as one of the more objective (rather than flip-flopping) and open-minded writers without an agenda that there is in town.
You clearly hear him more than I do, but we certainly don't agree about this. And I don't want to make it a point to trot out examples of it and turn this into a Bernie thread. The guy has his own forum, for cryin' out loud. :lol: Let's just say ... agree to disagree.