Six OC's on the rise

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I still see people defending him so...sorry, I couldn't tell.

Care to elaborate?

Is there something you know that Les Snead and Jeff Fisher don't? (please, arrange a social visit where you can enlighten them)

While you're at it, reset the HOF QB (you know what I'm referring to) he couldn't win with...oh wait, come to think of it, he did win with him (how old was he (#4) at that stage in his career? Wasn't the same relegated to 2nd string status in GB? How did their year end... you do remember that don't you? Yeah that was definitely on Shotty.

I'd just love to here your takes on his skill players talent level in NY, who were these star players? His head coach? What kind of team were they? How have they fared since his departure? After that, let's discuss the overall age of this Rams team and where they're headed under this regime, I can't wait for your reply.

Should be easy for a guy who obviously rates his football acumen (as others here do) higher than Shotty. (after all, you "still see people defending him")

Or is this just discussion/opinions?

You're damn right I'll defend these guys, I'm thrilled where I perceive the direction they're moving...so bring it.

Last edited:

V3

Hall of Fame
Care to elaborate?

Is there something you know that Les Snead and Jeff Fisher don't? (please, arrange a social visit where you can enlighten them)

While you're at it, reset the HOF QB (you know what I'm referring to) he couldn't win with...oh wait, come to think of it, he did win with him (how old was he (#4) at that stage in his career? Wasn't the same relegated to 2nd string status in GB? How did their year end... you do remember that don't you? Yeah that was definitely on Shotty.

I'd just love to here your takes on his skill players talent level in NY, who were these star players? His head coach? What kind of team were they? How have they fared since his departure? After that, let's discuss the overall age of this Rams team and where they're headed under this regime, I can't wait for your reply.

Should be easy for a guy who obviously rates his football acumen (as others here do) higher than Shotty. (after all, you "still see people defending him")

Or is this just discussion/opinions?

You're damn right I'll defend these guys, I'm thrilled where I perceive the direction they're moving...so bring it.

I could bring up facts about Favre playing his best football the very next season for another team or how the Jets DID have good WRs and a good RB but still never managed to win anything or how Schotty has had bad YPA passing his entire tenure and how it was still bad last year when Bradford was playing the best he's played, but I get the feeling you've made up your mind and will defend anything he or the Rams do, so what's the point. Keep defending him if you want. Ask anyone in NY about their thoughts on Schottenheimer. You act as if Fisher and Snead are infallible. Yeah, that last DC Fisher hired was really great. They would have stayed with Walton, too, if Williams wasn't available. So excuse me if I don't trust every move Fisher makes. There's plenty of history on Schottenheimer and I don't see much to suggest he knows what he's doing in the passing game. All you have to do is look at YPA. I've seen plenty of OC's do more with less.

MrMotes

Starter
The Jets won with defense and that's how the Rams are gonna have to do it. No BS led offense has ever won with offense. I don't see that changing anytime soon...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I could bring up facts about Favre playing his best football the very next season for another team or how the Jets DID have good WRs and a good RB but still never managed to win anything or how Schotty has had bad YPA passing his entire tenure and how it was still bad last year when Bradford was playing the best he's played, but I get the feeling you've made up your mind and will defend anything he or the Rams do, so what's the point. Keep defending him if you want. Ask anyone in NY about their thoughts on Schottenheimer. You act as if Fisher and Snead are infallible. Yeah, that last DC Fisher hired was really great. They would have stayed with Walton, too, if Williams wasn't available. So excuse me if I don't trust every move Fisher makes. There's plenty of history on Schottenheimer and I don't see much to suggest he knows what he's doing in the passing game. All you have to do is look at YPA. I've seen plenty of OC's do more with less.
I think part of the problem is that you took a backhanded stab at those who don't see the OC situation as you. As such, you took a stab at posters rather than a point.

I definitely have my doubts about Shotty but I also don't presume to know so much that those who see positives must be simply defending him and/or Fish blindly. I saw some positives as we got away from the spread offense notion that I don't think was his idea frankly. Blocking schemes, personnel adjustments, utilizing TA in varying positions, etc... all changed to the personnel we had. Will that manifest into wins? Not sure. Was a fair amount of the miscues we all saw last season due to Shotty or so much youth? Probably a combination of both - but....?

I suspect the Rams will go with a largely power running game. That may not suit you but it is something that Shotty designs fairly well. It also seems to be within the wheelhouse of Fish. This is not likely to be a team that lights up the airwaves. We are more likely to control the clock thus keeping the defense fresh and pretty generally be in most if not all games we play. Again, if it results in wins, I couldn't really care if we are lighting it up statistically.

Bottom line is that dismissing others' opinions as merely defending Shotty or blindly following Fish is an insult - intended or not. You are bound to get a negative reaction from someone who sees the positives Shotty brings.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Jets won with defense and that's how the Rams are gonna have to do it. No BS led offense has ever won with offense. I don't see that changing anytime soon...
I couldn't find it but any idea how the Jets did in the time of possession battle? Keeping your defense off the field is pretty under rated IMO. I personally don't know what Fish sees in Shotty but I have to guess that he sees something that fits within his philosophy. Dunno.

MrMotes

Starter
I couldn't find it but any idea how the Jets did in the time of possession battle? Keeping your defense off the field is pretty under rated IMO. I personally don't know what Fish sees in Shotty but I have to guess that he sees something that fits within his philosophy. Dunno.

Last year, when the defense was playing badly and Fisher was asked about it he said we needed to run the ball more. Fisher is a defensive minded coach who thinks, at least in part, the offense is there to help the defense. I'm sure Rex Ryan has a similar philosophy...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Last year, when the defense was playing badly and Fisher was asked about it he said we needed to run the ball more. Fisher is a defensive minded coach who thinks, at least in part, the offense is there to help the defense. I'm sure Rex Ryan has a similar philosophy...
Probably right. I don't know if Shotty is the answer. I certainly had some problems with how he ran the offense. But I can also see where others have come from in saying he wasn't the whole problem with how our offense performed. I personally think he is going to do a pretty decent job this coming season as we have built the talent level to better represent his schemes. Guess we'll see.

Still wonder how he's done with controlling the clock. I think that feeds right into what you said about his HC's philosophies.

MrMotes

Starter
Well last year we were 25th in time of possession so it appears he's bad at that too...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well last year we were 25th in time of possession so it appears he's bad at that too...
Where'd you get that? Not questioning you - just wondering where to get that info and see how it's compiled. The time of possession thing has always been one of my interests. I have always felt that teams that put their defense on the field less or put them in situations where the defense knew what the other team had to do would fair pretty well. I don't think by any stretch we did that to other teams much over the past several years. Just interesting to me.

…..

Legend
:popcorn:

Isnt it Sam Bradfords fault that Schotty isnt on this list? Come on you guys, at least make it legit

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
:popcorn:

Isnt it Sam Bradfords fault that Schotty isnt on this list? Come on you guys, at least make it legit
It's Sam Bradford's fault that there's no peace in the Middle East. Schotty not being on the list is so obvious that it goes without stating.

MrMotes

Starter
Where'd you get that? Not questioning you - just wondering where to get that info and see how it's compiled. The time of possession thing has always been one of my interests. I have always felt that teams that put their defense on the field less or put them in situations where the defense knew what the other team had to do would fair pretty well. I don't think by any stretch we did that to other teams much over the past several years. Just interesting to me.

Got it from NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...fensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

Personally, I've always felt time of possession is overrated...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Got it from NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...fensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=false

Personally, I've always felt time of possession is overrated...
Taking TOP by itself I'd agree. I just like to look at it when thinking about what kind of game the team is playing. I think in our case where we tried to be run heavy, it doesn't paint a very good picture. I think if your approach is to run the ball and keep games close, you better be winning the TOP battles because in general, you aren't going to be built to score quickly.

Anyway, just something that interests me. Thanks for the link.