Simplification is the Game This Time for CB Lamarcus Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Simplification is the Game This Time for Rams CB Lamarcus Joyner
Posted by: Brandt Dolce

http://www.101sports.com/2015/08/05/rams-cb-lamarcus-joyner-isnt-year-2/

As Lamarcus Joyner enters his second year as a defensive back for the St. Louis Rams, he’s understandably hoping to make more of a name for himself with on-field production.

The keys to accomplishing this goal? Improved mental and physical health and confidence from his teammates and coaches.

Joyner played in 10 games as a rookie in 2015, starting one, and notching 33 solo tackles. He also had three passes defensed and one sack.

Even though Joyner played at Florida State where pressure and expectations are part of the landscape, the transition to the National Football League has been daunting. Factor in defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ complex defensive scheme, and a rookie cornerback has a recipe for a spinning head.

Williams made life difficult for Joyner, putting pressure on his rookie to be better through discipline and hard work.

Joyner admits to struggling during the professional transition last season.

“Coach Williams knew that was the problem last year, and he kind of challenged me on that.” Joyner said. “I learned how to take his coaching and his discipline as positive, instead of a negative, because that’s all it was. It was intended to make me a real professional, and it’s really paid dividends.”

Head coach Jeff Fisher referred to Joyner’s mental improvement from last year to this one.

“What a difference a year makes for a young player to come back in year two and finally just get it. He gets it now.” Fisher said.

A healthy and effective Joyner adds an essential layer to the available calls that Williams will have in his arsenal in 2015.

At 5’8” and 185 pounds, Joyner is able to play the slot and be a suitable run supporter, packing a disproportionate punch.

The cornerback already boasts a pick six against Nick Foles in training camp during 11-on-11 drills, a play Joyner says he was able to make by simplifying his approach.

“Pretty much (had to) re-route the seam and get to my landmark, and that’s all I did. Simple as A-B-C. Instead of making life hard for myself, I played it by the book, and I was able to make the play.” Joyner said.

The Rams have a scrimmage at Lindenwood University on Friday at 5:00. The simulated game acts as a litmus test for players and coaches, allowing them to earmark deficiencies and make improvements as the preseason approaches.

As for Joyner’s approach leading up to the scrimmage, he says he’s trying not to look that far down the road.

“To be honest, I’ve been taking it a day at a time. I believe each day counts. It’s good to have foresight, but in order to do well on Friday, I do have to do well today and tomorrow, leading up into that date.” Joyner said. “I just want to continue to do what I’ve been doing daily, and that’s progressing, whether it’s mentally or physically.”

On the physical side, Joyner says he feels great. He’s maintained a body weight of 185, cutting 2.0% off of his body fat composition.

Strength and fitness have long been among Joyner’s assets, with his mental game perhaps bridging the gap from year one.

That’s the hope for Joyner, at least, as he faces stiff competition for playing time if his offseason success doesn’t translate on the field.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great to hear....but concerning....I am curious, how many players does Williams just wash-out, due to the fact that they never get his defensive scheme?
What is it with Rams 2nd round picks?
Why am I more excited about Mo Alexander than Joyner?
Why am I so nervous about EJ Gaines injury?
Just some, you know, serious questions......