Signing Britt is only a bad signing IF...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
JP
Thats our way of saying we don't need another WR in the draft. Britt is talented enough to be one of our top 4 WRs. I have no problem giving him a minimum deal and then we still take Watkins.

Let Britt and Quick battle it out to be the other outside guy, and then let Tavon and Stedman play the slots. I see no harm in signing a guy with talent on a minimum deal. If he sucks, then we just cut him. Little risk, possible high reward.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I read earlier that Snead had said that signing Britt would not affect how they view Watkins and Evans in the draft. I'm searching for the source.

Name
JP
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read earlier that Snead had said that signing Britt would not affect how they view Watkins and Evans in the draft. I'm searching for the source.

Please share it if you find it. I figured it would not, so that's why I am not as panicked about a move about bringing in a talented player on a minimum deal.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Rams, Kenny Britt still talking
By Ryan Van Bibber@justRVB on Mar 26 2014, 8:37a 119
gyi0061820114.0_standard_709.0.jpg

The St. Louis Rams may still end up with the veteran wideout.

Orlando, Fla. -- On Tuesday, Kenny Britt had a better than 50 percent chance of signing a deal with the St. Louis Rams, according to general manager Les Snead. On Wednesday, head coach Jeff Fisher took that one step further, making it clear that the veteran receiver's chances of joining the Rams could now be even greater.
"I'll stand behind what he said," Fisher said when asked about Snead's comments. "I'm hoping that sometime here very soon we'll get something done."
Britt's second chance tour has taken him to Buffalo, New England and Washington since taking his first free agent visit with the Rams. The Panthers and the Seahawks have also been linked to Britt, described as "interested" by ESPN's Adam Schefter. But a reunion with his former head coach in Tennessee would now seem to be the most likely outcome in Britt's hunt for a new team.

The Titans took Britt with the 30th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. He caught 42 passes that year, with 701 yards and three touchdowns. His best season came in 2010, when he caught another 42 passes for 775 yards and nine touchdowns. Since then, he's been plagued with injuries, off-field issues, and a paucity of quarterbacking talent in Tennessee.
The Rams gave Britt's knees a clean bill of health on his physical last week. However, the Patriots reportedly did not like what they saw when they checked into his health.
Based on his career struggles, it's likely that the Rams, or whatever team that does end up signing him, would do so on a short-term contract, or at least one heavy on incentives, but that remains to be seen.

St. Louis needs receiving help, despite spending two top-50 draft picks on the position since hiring Fisher and Snead in 2012. Tavon Austin, the eighth overall pick last year, struggled to pick up the offense as a rookie, finishing with just 418 yards. Brian Quick, the 33rd pick in 2012, has failed to live up to expectations so far, leaving the Rams shorthanded for pass catchers on the boundaries and a physical presence to match up with the NFC West's imposing cornerbacks. Britt would instantly become the Rams' No. 1 wide receiver.
If the Rams do sign Britt, it might not be the last receiver the team acquires this year. They have the second and 13th picks in the draft, both considered prime spots for either Clemson's Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans of Texas A&M. Fisher refused to rule out the possibility of his team taking either one of those players.

"You can never have enough," Fisher said about receivers.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Evans won't be there at #13 we know this. Reminds me how long we were targeted to get Julio Jones and then he blew it up. We know the rest.

We now have all of the mighty powers to control the chess board.

Name
JP
Evans won't be there at #13 we know this. Reminds me how long we were targeted to get Julio Jones and then he blew it up. We know the rest.

We now have all of the mighty powers to control the chess board.

I don't see it as impossible that he falls to 13. Although if we really want him, wouldn't be that difficult for the Rams to trade up a little to ensure we get him.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I for sure see Evans falling to 13. There's a ton of other players that should very well go ahead of him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Beginning to think the OP is obsessed with Watkins, haha. I seriously cannot wait for this draft. It will be the most important one since I started following the team....in 1978. I'z OOOOOLD.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Thats our way of saying we don't need another WR in the draft. Britt is talented enough to be one of our top 4 WRs. I have no problem giving him a minimum deal and then we still take Watkins.

Let Britt and Quick battle it out to be the other outside guy, and then let Tavon and Stedman play the slots. I see no harm in signing a guy with talent on a minimum deal. If he sucks, then we just cut him. Little risk, possible high reward.

Disagree, bro.

It's only bad if we overpay. With a stellar OL, Cook, Austin, Givens, et all will be much improved. They're not rookies anymore and have the same OC. They're gonna break out, man. Teams will have to pay a ton of attention to Stacy which adds to our passing attack.

With health, we will be straight-up contenders.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Disagree, bro.

It's only bad if we overpay. With a stellar OL, Cook, Austin, Givens, et all will be much improved. They're not rookies anymore and have the same OC. They're gonna break out, man. Teams will have to pay a ton of attention to Stacy which adds to our passing attack.

I agree. This kid needs an attitude overhaul, and that starts with making him sit on the market for a while so he takes a contract that doesn't live up to his ego. Then when he gets to camp with Fisher he'll get his shit adjusted.

Name
JP
Disagree, bro.

Is there any sign we will overpay though? It seems like the Rams are the only team even going after him. I am just assuming if we sign him it will be a very cheap contract.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Is there any sign we will overpay though? It seems like the Rams are the only team even going after him. I am just assuming if we sign him it will be a very cheap contract.

Exactly. I thought NE was at one time but that has died.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't think it should change the way they view Evans or Watkins in the draft if they do sign him. If you still think they're the BPA and they're at the top of your board when your pick comes up then unless there's someone else you've targeted that you think you can get with a trade down you draft them anyway and let them fight it out in camp - healthy competition never hurt - or you cut Austin Pettis. Green Bay didn't pass up Aaron Rodgers because they already had Brett Favre did they?
'

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Pretty much sums up my feeling on the matter to the tee

PhxRam

A little twitter tutorial..

Simply right click "expand" and then "copy link address" then paste the link in your post. It will automatically link it for you.

Code:
https://twitter.com/justRVB/status/448791850716241920

screenshot_293.png

Looks like this

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Thank you @PhxRam. Now if you can teach me how to put countdown clocks in posts, I'll be alright.