SI.com grades the Rams 2014 draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/08/d...wney-johnny-manziel-blake-bortles-khalil-mack

True NFL Draft Grades: 2014 Draft, Four Years Later
  • Every spring there’s a rush to (prematurely) grade every team’s draft, even though we all know you can’t truly grade a draft until years later, when the players have (or haven’t) developed. With that in mind, a look back at the true grades of the 2014 NFL draft
    By ANDY BENOIT

LOS ANGELES (THEN ST. LOUIS) RAMS

Round 1 (2 overall). Greg Robinson, T, Auburn

1 (13). Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

2 (41). Lamarcus Joyner, CB, Florida State

3 (75). Tre Mason, RB, Auburn

4 (110). Maurice Alexander, SS, Utah State

6 (188). E.J. Gaines, DB, Missouri

6 (214). Garrett Gilbert, QB, Southern Methodist

7 (226). Mitchell Van Dyk, T, Portland State

7 (241). Christian Bryant, DB, Ohio State

7 (249). Michael Sam, DE, Missouri

7 (250). Demetrius Rhaney, C, Tennessee State

Greg Robinson’s career was like one big heavy plop onto a whoopy cushion. He struggled at multiple positions, for multiple coaches and in multiple schemes. At 25, he’s currently an unsigned free agent.

Aaron Donald, the reigning Defensive Player of the Year, is whatever you’d call the opposite of Greg Robinson.

Tre Mason had off-field problems that his family attributed to head injuries, ending his career.

File this Lamarcus Joyner pick in the back of your mind. Joyner began his career as a nickel slot, but in 2017 he moved to free safety, where he played well enough to warrant a 2018 franchise tag. His 5' 8", 184-pound frame wouldn’t suggest it, but Joyner is a ferocious hitter. He’s also very rangy.

Joyner starts ahead of Maurice Alexander, who has been an adequate backup but is too limited in coverage to start. Also in that secondary was E.J. Gaines, who turned out to be a steal and went to Buffalo in 2017 as part of the Sammy Watkins trade.

The players who were selected after Gaines combined to play 13 NFL games, mainly on special teams. If not for that, and much, much more so for the Robinson pick, this draft would have been a solid A, maybe even an A+ if Joyner keeps ascending. But a giant whiff on the No. 2 overall selection and a disappointing third-round running back can’t be ignored.

Grade: B

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Tre Mason wasnt a disappointing 3rd round RB, he was exactly what you should get in the 3rd and capable of starting and getting acceptable production.

Thats like calling Stedman Bailey a disappointing mid round pick for being shot in the head.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Sorry
But
any draft list with Aaron Donald on it is an automatic A+

When you draft a Hall of Famer what else can you call it but 100% successful.

Why are we still taking about Greg Robinson?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Tre Mason wasnt a disappointing 3rd round RB, he was exactly what you should get in the 3rd and capable of starting and getting acceptable production.

Thats like calling Stedman Bailey a disappointing mid round pick for being shot in the head.
Not to be crass, but it certainly was disappointing that Bailey couldn't continue playing and contribute whatever the circumstances may be. Grades should be based on production, and if you're off the field you don't contribute. Neither Bailey nor Mason contributed what is expected of a 3rd round draft pick.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Not to be crass, but it certainly was disappointing that Bailey couldn't continue playing and contribute whatever the circumstances may be. Grades should be based on production, and if you're off the field you don't contribute. Neither Bailey nor Mason contributed what is expected of a 3rd round draft pick.

Disagree.
Both were giving us what we could reasonably expect from a 3rd round pick until circumstances unrelated to their abilty to play football derailed them.

Im not sure what the average 3rd round pick should give you, but it isnt a whole lot.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

In fairness to Stedman Bailey, who knows how he would have developed outside of Jeff Fisher. But I agree, Tre Mason was a disappointing 3rd round pick. David Johnson went in the third round, and I believe Kareen Hunt and Alvin Kamara were also 3rd round picks. And Greg Robinson? How the hell did someone that horrible get picked so high?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And Greg Robinson? How the hell did someone that horrible get picked so high?

He had off the charts athleticism, which would have been fine if:

a) he had the ability to develop the proper technique for his position, learn the assignments, etc. (basically, had the ability to be coached up); and
b) had the coaching available that could coach him up to learn to play the position properly.

He didn't have b) at all during the Fisher regime, and by the time the new staff took over, he was thoroughly damaged goods. It's an open question as to whether he ever had a), although I won't put up an argument against those that argue he didn't.

I rooted hard for the guy, and for a while I thought he might have a chance to turn the corner, but it was just a tease. In the end, the results speak for themselves.

His failure is entirely on the regime that drafted him for not realizing their own weaknesses as well as his.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In fairness to Stedman Bailey, who knows how he would have developed outside of Jeff Fisher. But I agree, Tre Mason was a disappointing 3rd round pick. David Johnson went in the third round, and I believe Kareen Hunt and Alvin Kamara were also 3rd round picks. And Greg Robinson? How the hell did someone that horrible get picked so high?

Because its a 50/50 crapshoot at best. The guys you listed are exceptions to the rule.

Tre Mason (3rd) Zac Stacy (5th) and Daryll Richardson (7th) all gave us productive seasons that exceeded their draft stock.
Each of them were considered as great value picks after their rookie seasons.
...and then they all regressed or fell off completely. Regardless its hard to call them disappointments (as in a bad choice based on where they were taken).

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

man, didn't this guy get the memo that mo alexander was released after a few games last season? pathetic. is there any professionalism left in journalism anymore?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Each of them were considered as great value picks after their rookie seasons.
...and then they all regressed or fell off completely. Regardless its hard to call them disappointments (as in a bad choice based on where they were taken).

Ah I see where our disagreement lies. You are defending these picks given the information we knew back when we made the picks/ Because you're right, at the time and even after their rookie years, both seemed like good picks. But I think the point of these grades is to look in hindsight and say which players panned out. Even you admit that these players fell off, and I'd add rather quickly. I expect more than 2 seasons out of any 3rd round draft pick. Bailey and Mason fall short of that expectation so in hindsight, if we got to "redo" that draft, I wouldn't pick them. And especially not in the 3rd or 4th round.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ah I see where our disagreement lies. You are defending these picks given the information we knew back when we made the picks/ Because you're right, at the time and even after their rookie years, both seemed like good picks. But I think the point of these grades is to look in hindsight and say which players panned out. Even you admit that these players fell off, and I'd add rather quickly. I expect more than 2 seasons out of any 3rd round draft pick. Bailey and Mason fall short of that expectation so in hindsight, if we got to "redo" that draft, I wouldn't pick them. And especially not in the 3rd or 4th round.

Yes, agreed. Just a different interpretation. I wouldnt select Mason or Bailey knowing what we know now.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Greg Robinson...SIGH.

How many 2nd overall picks did we waste my god. AD makes it all okay but just crazy how many high picks we blew.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Greg Robinson...SIGH.

How many 2nd overall picks did we waste my god. AD makes it all okay but just crazy how many high picks we blew.

Jason Smith 2009 and Donnie Avery 2008 come to mind.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Tremendous class, even with our first pick being an absolute bust.

Gaines is a starting cb , joyner played as a top 5 safety last season , Aaron Donald is Aaron Donald.

I wanted Watkins at 2 that year , ended up with him anyways lol so i can't complain