Should There Be Urgency to Sign Nick Foles Long Term?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
ESPN’s Field Yates discusses Nick Foles potential contract extension with the Rams on 101ESPN with Nick Wagoner and Anthony Stalter. Yates says if he was the Rams he would not feel too much urgency to get Foles signed long term. He thinks there is significant risk for the Rams and calls Foles a Jekyll and Hyde player over the last two years. He agrees with Mark Dominick who says it’s ok to be a year late on an extension on a QB rather than a year early. If you have to pay a guy an extra few million for proving he’s worth it, it’s ok….it’s better than paying him too early and finding out he’s not worth it. See: Jay Cutler.

Listen to Foles Discussion

Foles Discussion Starts at 5:05

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Lets see how he performs first, With Rams buzzard luck, they sign him to a long term contract, he either sucks or more likely gets hurt, and then they're stuck paying him to hold a clipboard. Let him play this season and then sign him to a contract equal to his performance.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The Rams have to go off what they saw in OTA's and early in camp. They like what they see then they need to move. He's cheaper now than after the season.

I LOL at it's risky to sign a QB that has a track record in the NFL, that the team traded for, is the teams property, in the meetings etc. But it's okay to draft a 1st round QB, who has never played a NFL game, had 1 private workout with and guarantee that QB the same amount of money.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's take a wait and see approach because if Foles has a good season there is little doubt that he's going to want to stay and if he ends up being in the upper echelon as the season progresses you can always extend his contract during the season.

FRO

Legend
No. If he earns a big pay day, then good for us. If he sucks, then it's a good thing we didn't extend him.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IDK!!!! But I think it would be prudent to wait! At least until about week 3 of the pre-season!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I say no for one simple reason. He will most likely be asked to be a game manager type QB for us this season. If he does well in that role, we will sign him to a contract fitting that role. I can see an Alex Smith type contract if things go well.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Is anyone else getting sick of the word "urgency" when talking about sports?

They'll get shit done, or choose not to. Relax.

fearsomefour

Legend
No rush from me.
Foles to me is a C+ guy. I hope I am proven wrong and he has a huge year. If he stays healthy and he and or the team have a good year, he will get paid. The only way I would now is if he signed a 2 or 3 year deal that was of benefit to the team, 3 years $21M or something....but, no real reason for him to do that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No.

See if he, too, can make it through an entire season first.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
giphy.gif

A55VA6

Legend
Not at all. See how he performs first and go from there.

I can almost guarantee you Foles isn't going to want to go to another new team and learn another new offense. He's going to want to be here.