Should the Rams have drafted RG III?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Roger Hensley

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

504e21b48b834.preview-620.jpg

After monitoring the Rams Talk debates and Jeff Gordon's live chats, we know which way the fans are leaning this week (R-G-3! R-G-3!). But what do our insiders think: Should the Rams have stayed right where they were (No. 2 overall pick) and drafted quarterback Robert Griffin III?

BRYAN BURWELL, Post-Dispatch columnist:
This is a silly, emotional conversation that can't possibly be evaluated until all the facts are in. The evidence is several years down the line, when we can look at what sort of NFL players Bradford, RG III and Michael Brockers become.

If Brockers becomes the monster, run-stuffing, Pro Bowl-caliber defensive tackle, and Bradford becomes an above average QB, and the Rams make a big turnaround, then the decision to keep him and trade away the pick becomes an intelligent move. But one game into the career of RGIII is no time to question the success or failure of the move by Jeff Fisher and Les Snead.

JEFF GORDON, STLtoday.com columnist:
I am a giant RG III fan. He is a rare talent, combining serious mobility, a polished passing arm and real leadership ability. He fills the massive Redskins quarterback void. However . . . Sam Bradford has the tools to be a star NFL quarterback. The experience he has gained thus far, both good and bad, will prove very valuable. He should be a good fit for what Jeff Fisher wants to do here. So keeping Bradford and collecting the additional assets was the way to go.

DAN O'NEILL, Post-Dispatch sportswriter:
No. The Rams did the right thing in trading down and getting extra picks. That's not to say Bobby G3 won't turn out to be a more dynamic quarterback than what they have, that's still to be determined. One game does not a career make.

The Rams needed as much help as they could get. With Michael Brockers hurt, it's unfair to make a judgment on what kind of player he is, or will be. Only time will tell whether the Rams did well with what the picks they got from the trade — but that's a different issue. They made the right move in making the trade.

JIM THOMAS, Post-Dispatch sportswriter:
I have a lot of respect for RG III and his talents, but no, I wouldn't jettison Sam Bradford after two seasons in St. Louis.

BERNIE MIKLASZ, Post-Dispatch columnist:
I am a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee, and after one regular-season game, I am recommending that The Hall suspend its rules, so that we immediately induct RG III into Canton.

My serious answer: Calm down. It's one game.

JOE STRAUSS, Post-Dispatch sportswriter:
Fan sentiment should be irrelevant. The Rams committed to Bradford as their franchise 3 years ago. They'll rise and fall with him. What "should" the Rams have done re: RG3 doesn't speak to payroll implications in addition to the massive controversy which would have ensued. (Try getting another club to assume Bradford's contract.)

After reading and hearing the media apologia that followed Sam through 2011 and this training camp, I've come to believe that he is all that's right about the franchise. Either that, or many media types are fully invested with the outsized hype they attached to Bradford upon his arrival. Regardless, it's an untenable situation should the current regime ever wish to cut ties.

KATHLEEN NELSON, Post-Dispatch sportswriter:
Fans are going nuts over a small sample size. Deep passes notwithstanding, Sam's performance Sunday was fine. Better to judge a couple years from now, when those extra No. 1 picks are in the house.

TOM TIMMERMANN, Post-Dispatch sportswriter:
I suppose if the Rams thought they could get some massive deal for Bradford, getting a player or two more than they got in exchange for the draft pick, they could do it. But that seems like you're pushing the restart button all the way to zero, rather than with Bradford to, I don't know, 10 on a scale of 1 to 100. He's one of the few foundational players they've got, so they might as well keep him and build around him, rather than looking for 53 new players. Bradford looks to me to be a capable NFL quarterback. RG3 will be great, possibly even better, but the Rams can't go grabbing at every shiny thing they see.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ugh. Maybe? Ask us again in 2 years....maybe 3, so we can see all of the subsequent draft picks perform first.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Sure if you think using the 2nd overall pick on a backup and occasional wildcat QB for Bradford instead of turning the pick into future starters at other positions is a good idea.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Seriously what the fuck!? This will never end...we all know RG3 is gifted and ya know what so is Badass Bradford...
1. Major cap hit
2. Letting a #1 overall pick who just a few years ago was The Man, and after a sophomore slump suddenly its over???
3. We are finally over our pre-rookie before CBA changed on the contracts except for Bradford...
4. We have a very reputable COMPLETE entity; Owner,GM,COO, Fish and his guys in place.
5. LMFAO!!!! After 1 game against a very shaky Saints D, he's suddenly the NFL God?
6. I'm smokin a fat bowl of some pineapple kush #2 out of my foot long solid glass steam roller aka Indian chief master lung killa.
7.* How do these dumbasses even know RG3 would be a good fit for our offensive scheme under Schotty.

I'm not an expert or pretend to be however this "fantasy" football J-John talk is just repulsive.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think the Rams should just read the posts on the PD. Then and only then will they know how to evaluate talent and make sound football decisions. When will they ever learn? :dangit:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
This is a silly, emotional conversation that can't possibly be evaluated until all the facts are in.
Umm, but wait, we're media hacks, and that's what we get paid to do. So, let's stir the pot with meaningless conversation that's far too early to discuss in any meaningful way. That'll attract eyeballs and eardrums, and that's what we're paid to do, isn't it?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
interference said:
X said:
This is a silly, emotional conversation that can't possibly be evaluated until all the facts are in.
Umm, but wait, we're media hacks, and that's what we get paid to do. So, let's stir the pot with meaningless conversation that's far too early to discuss in any meaningful way. That'll attract eyeballs and eardrums, and that's what we're paid to do, isn't it?

Yeah - I love the "until all the facts are in" garbage. When the fuck will that be? Y'mean like that golden time when everything on the two teams remained the same aside from RG3, Brockers, and Sam? Oh... I get it. Such stooges.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
At A point in time ,before Fisher was hired, I wanted to trade Sam and draft RG. In fact during the hiring process I was of the opinion that if Stan K stipulated that Sam BE the man,it was about the same as Bud Adams forcing Vince Young upon Fisher.

After we hired Fisher and I saw what all we could do with the rights to RG and have already done with them it appears to me that we made the right decision. This team needed the trade , to make it about RG vs. Sam is senseless, I won't bother with it ( even though I think Sam can have just as good a career and do as much for a team) it's ALL the players we can and will get vs RG .
It was a good move we have a decent team NOW we'll build a very good one that can compete no matter who the QB is ,add Sam, and IMO we are on our way

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
[rp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/09/09122012105150.mp3[/rp3]
http://www.101sports.com/templates/audi ... 763&type=s

Should the Rams have drafted RG3? ESPN.com Senior NFL Writer John Clayton gives his thoughts and discusses his epic Sports Center commerical.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Thordaddy said:
At A point in time ,before Fisher was hired, I wanted to trade Sam and draft RG. In fact during the hiring process I was of the opinion that if Stan K stipulated that Sam BE the man,it was about the same as Bud Adams forcing Vince Young upon Fisher.

After we hired Fisher and I saw what all we could do with the rights to RG and have already done with them it appears to me that we made the right decision. This team needed the trade , to make it about RG vs. Sam is senseless, I won't bother with it ( even though I think Sam can have just as good a career and do as much for a team) it's ALL the players we can and will get vs RG .
It was a good move we have a decent team NOW we'll build a very good one that can compete no matter who the QB is ,add Sam, and IMO we are on our way

Thats a great point. Worst case scenario, things dont work out with Sam, and we have to seriously consider moving on in a couple years, by that time, we should have a much improved roster due to the extra picks, and flexibility in the 1st round as long as we do a good job drafting, so the next QB would come into a much better situation/environment. Thats pretty far down the road tho and hopefully we wont be discussing the possibility of a new QB anytime soon.