Should the NFL consider rule changes to help the running game?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Slow down the passing game ?? Easy, just allow all secondaries do what the Cheatriots did to the Rams receivers in the SB...That would bring the running game back to the forefront... Then it would be back to the run setting up the pass...I really like that a little more...

tempests

Hall of Fame
Only changes I see in the running game front would be in the name of player safety....it's been in the wind for a while the cut block will eventually be eliminated; helping the defense rather than the offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The NFL does not want more physical play and concussions. I would be all for it but it would never happen.

If anything the future will be more passing and less tackling. That is how afraid they are of concussions IMO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

why should they be afraid of concussions?

all the information is out there. all the money to be made is out there. athletes can now make a risk/reward decision without complaining about it in the future.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO the rules weren't changed to improve the passing game, its just that the changes benefited the passing game.
When they allowed olineman to use open hands to block, it helped the passing game. But should have helped running as well. The recent rules were put in to increase player safety.
In any event, is rushing yardage as a whole, down? I think the dependence on a given RB has been lessened but overall I think teams still run quite a bit. Historically though the QB has always been the focus on the winning team, just seems the stats lately have been blown up

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I'm tired of having rule changes that help anybody.

Seriously, the NFL wants high scoring games so they make it easier on an offense, so these great defenses in the league (Seahawks, Cards, Broncos, Panthers, Rams) in my opinion, are better than defenses in the past. Can you imagine if our safeties were allowed to head hunt? Nobody would score on us.

I just want a competitive league. One where it's an offense vs. a defense, instead of Peyton Manning vs. Cam Newton.