Should Sean McVay Take Torry Holt’s Advice?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Should Sean McVay Take Torry Holt’s Advice?

During the debut of the Los Angeles Rams Camp Virtual Tailgate, co-host and ex-Rams megastar receiver Torry Holt might have handed the Rams the most effective solution to what plagued the offense last season. Keep in mind, this is not you or I or just any jock-turned-analyst. This is one of the best receivers to ever grace a football field at the pro level on one of the all-time best scoring offenses ever. Therefore, it’s not really a question of should but will Sean McVay consider Holt’s advice?

Should Sean McVay Head the Advice of Torry Holt?

Directed at receivers Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp within the context of the live Rams Camp Virtual Tailgate via Zoom video conferencing, Holt had this to say:

“You got Robert Woods as a two-time thousand-yard, you know, receiver – back to back…A thousand-yard wide receiver in Cooper Kupp, right? Van Jefferson all of a sudden is now on the roster. What will a 4-receiver set look like in L.A.?”

Kupp mentioned that the Rams “touched on that a little” in 2019, missing the point completely so Torry then quickly and excitedly added,

“I’m saying with even more regularity…All of you can get open…That’s scary. Have you, [said] coach, [McVay] can you throw in a little bit more? I forgot to ask him!”

To be clear, it’s more likely than not that Holt was not intentionally giving the Rams head coach any advice on play-calling. This doesn’t mean that Sean McVay shouldn’t accept Holt’s plea as such. Let’s briefly examine the possibilities.

Those who can, first try to remember the era of The Greatest Show On Turf. Do you remember the Rams having among the best offensive lines in the NFL during that time? How many blockers can you recall not named Orlando Pace? What does this mean?

Examining the main three seasons of Jared Goff held up to Super Bowl Champion and Hall of Famer Kurt Warner‘s three best with the Rams could shed some light on the possibility of the current Rams returning to their 2018 (or championship) glory.

Kurt Warner
3-Year Passing Table

YearTmGQBrecCmpAttYdsTDIntSk
1999*+STL1613-3-03254994353411329
2000*STL118-3-02353473429211820
2001*+STL1614-2-03755464830362238
Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com: View Original Table
*Pro Bowl selection, +First-Team All-Pro. Generated 8/16/2020.

Jared Goff
3-Year Passing Table

YearTmGQBrecCmpAttYdsTDIntSk
2017*LAR1511-4-0296477380428725
2018*LAR1613-3-03645614688321233
2019LAR169-7-03946264638221622
Provided by Pro-Football-Reference.com: View Original Table
*Pro Bowl selection, +First-Team All-Pro. Generated 8/16/2020

Not too dissimilar in overall numbers until you get to Touchdowns. Oddly, the similarity in total times sacked may indicate how success can be achieved despite having a mediocre offensive line, worst-case. The Greatest Show on Turf offense was speed, precision and timing-based. What 2020’s crop of Rams receivers lacks in speed, it makes up in route-running ability and smarts. Can this be enough to restore any lost luster? With Goff’s offseason dedication to footwork and preventing turnovers, quite possibly is the answer. Note: Jared Goff interrupted Holt’s comments to announce his goal for the 2020 season is to achieve having three 1000+-yard receivers, not two.

Holt’s Credentials

Torry “Big Game” Holt: 1999 first-round NFL draft choice (6th overall), 7-time Pro Bowler, Super Bowl XXXIV champion, First-Team All-Pro (2003), member of the NFL All-Decade Team (2000s) and 2020 Hall of Fame finalist.

Holt caught well over 1000 receiving yards eight of ten seasons while with the Rams (2000-2007). He led the NFL in that category twice (2000, 2003). What’s more, his totals might’ve been even better if not for sharing the stage with Hall of Fame receiver, Isaac Bruce.

Is Torry biased in his comments, simply looking out for the team’s receivers? Sure, but his excitement stems from firsthand knowledge of what legitimate offensive fire power is capable of. Add rule changes becoming more offensive-friendly since he, Bruce and Az-Zahir Hakim ran amok then stir.

Expect the Unexpected in 2020

The powers that be blew up the roster this past offseason so don’t expect every game to go as planned. Rookie receiver Van Jefferson, for one, may be too good to keep off the field. At first glance, he enters the NFL running crisper routes than half the veteran receivers. Perhaps, not good news for wideout Josh Reynolds but excellent news in the way of offensive creativity. Rookie running back Cam Akers probably won’t be mistaken for Marshall Faulk anytime soon but adds a respectable amount of duality just the same.

Those two additions being mentioned, Sean McVay and Company know not all that lay before them game plan wise. Additionally, it will take a great deal of faith and confidence from the coaching staff to consistently trust that these new weapons can handle it. It was, in fact, just as much confidence in drafting what amounts to the extra tools needed to be successful enough to overcome a bad or mediocre offensive line, should that problem return. Expect improvement as the season lengthens. This, in turn, can amount to a more competitive 2020 than many predict.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Nutten, Gruttadauria/McCollum, Timmerman, Miller/Tucker. The disrespect bothers me greatly. NO OFFENSE thrives without effective blocking The Donut Brothers were the unsung heroes in the formidable years.

Yet this isn’t on Torry, it’s on the writer (whoever Tony Lopez is) so I will move on. To suggest 4 WR packages as the answer is also troubling, not to mention how 2000 played out with ineffective defense that thwarted success. It’s a team game my friends. Now let’s consider recency bias. The 2019 Rams became more consistent offensively when they inserted more 12 Personnel packages. Jared’s third 1,000 yard receiver could well be the Higbeast. With that said, I have high expectations for Jefferson. I believe the efficacy of this offense will be predicated on it’s multiplicity and adaptability based on the defenses they face. That isn’t lost on McVay. What also isn’t lost on him that Martz roundly discounted is the cumulative effects of turnovers and QB hits.

I will always cherish the memories of the Greatest Show on Turf but today is my hope that the spectacular comet of those three years will be overshadowed by a dynastic sun that endures for a decade or more under the more reasoned approach of McVay.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Nutten, Gruttadauria/McCollum, Timmerman, Miller/Tucker. The disrespect bothers me greatly. NO OFFENSE thrives without effective blocking The Donut Brothers were the unsung heroes in the formidable years.

Yet this isn’t on Torry, it’s on the writer (whoever Tony Lopez is) so I will move on. To suggest 4 WR packages as the answer is also troubling, not to mention how 2000 played out with ineffective defense that thwarted success. It’s a team game my friends. Now let’s consider recency bias. The 2019 Rams became more consistent offensively when they inserted more 12 Personnel packages. Jared’s third 1,000 yard receiver could well be the Higbeast. With that said, I have high expectations for Jefferson. I believe the efficacy of this offense will be predicated on it’s multiplicity and adaptability based on the defenses they face. That isn’t lost on McVay. What also isn’t lost on him that Martz roundly discounted is the cumulative effects of turnovers and QB hits.

I will always cherish the memories of the Greatest Show on Turf but today is my hope that the spectacular comet of those three years will be overshadowed by a dynastic sun that endures for a decade or more under the more reasoned approach of McVay.
Agreed.
The OL was a different animal.
Having a QB that can quickly come of his main read and find open secondary receivers is a big part of it as well.
WRs getting open is generally not the problem.

dang

Legend
I expect all 3 phases of the Rams to take some time to settle in this year. OL will continue to gel. The right LB mix will be figured out. A kicker will prevail. On offense I gotta believe a more even display of 12 and 11 personnel allows the Rams to leverage their strengths and keep defenses guessing. And little room for 4 receiver sets unless Holt considers our TE as a 4th receiver.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What makes McVay different from Martz is the respect he has for the run game. Getting that going is the focus and rightly so.

You can throw and throw your way to a good season record but if you enter the playoffs without a ground game you will be ripe for an upset by more balanced teams.

Also we don't have a good enough OL to run a high percentage pass blocking attack. Don't fall into all that stuff. Finish the run game rebuild and hope your defense can step up to complement a balanced playoff quality attack.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Torry Holt's idea is a good one. Except there is no Marshall Faulk in the backfield making defenses pay for trying to cover him with a linebacker, let alone trying to stop his running game. We all hope Cam Akers can be a multi-purpose back, but those are big shoes to fill. I'm not even worried about the line. I will get hammered for saying that, but I expect big improvements from the newbies. Not to mention the strategic game-planning from McVay (IE -2 tight ends, roll outs, etc)

Ram65

Legend
McVay has gone to 4 WR sets on occasions. Did it in 2018 against the Chiefs. I would count Everett as a WR lining up outside or in the slot. I remember Henderson lining up as a WR last year. I guess against certain looks and teams it would work. I know McVay doesn't need to hang Goff out to dry as Martz did with Warner/Bulger. McVay and Goff need a better hot read calls for all pass plays. It probably would be best to get the offensive line reps early in the year before putting too much pressure on them with 4 WR sets. I won't rule out using them on occasions. Also, moving around Everett and Higbee as WRs is a good option. I think Henderson and Akers could have a chance to be mismatches like Everett and Higbee. I trust McVay to figure out the best way to get mismatches as he has lots of options.

Last edited:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

I hope your fingers hurt when you typed "Miller" punishment for putting that weak link in the mix. That was forever ago and I still shiver with his penalties

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Under the "Holt's Credentials" section they should've included something like Torry put up great numbers while Marc Bulger's brains were being bashed in.

But seriously, look, McVay went with 11 personnel because, before last year, the Rams could effectively run and pass out of the formation. When a formation can be either a run or a pass it's harder to defend. Four wides is pass first - not McVay's style.

Also, play action is/was such a big part of the offense. If you're using four wides with "more regularity" like Torry throws in, you're diminishing the run game, giving defenses less reason to respect the run, and reducing the effectiveness of play action.

Those who can, first try to remember the era of The Greatest Show On Turf. Do you remember the Rams having among the best offensive lines in the NFL during that time? How many blockers can you recall not named Orlando Pace? What does this mean?

Torry's not dumb, he knows this. Ultimately, I'm thinking Torry might have been talking up and having fun with the guys on the Zoom call, more than making any sort of actual analysis that the article seems to imply.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I hope your fingers hurt when you typed "Miller" punishment for putting that weak link in the mix. That was forever ago and I still shiver with his penalties
Yeah I always disliked Miller. But that line definitely played at the top of their talent level. Was a pretty amazing group given the quality of some of the pieces. We basically had only two plus guys in that group (Pace & Timmerman).

That line is why I always say you need two at least to make a good line. They're an example of how great players can elevate guys next to them.

Ram65

Legend
Under the "Holt's Credentials" section they should've included something like Torry put up great numbers while Marc Bulger's brains were being bashed in.

But seriously, look, McVay went with 11 personnel because, before last year, the Rams could effectively run and pass out of the formation. When a formation can be either a run or a pass it's harder to defend. Four wides is pass first - not McVay's style.

Also, play action is/was such a big part of the offense. If you're using four wides with "more regularity" like Torry throws in, you're diminishing the run game, giving defenses less reason to respect the run, and reducing the effectiveness of play action.

Torry's not dumb, he knows this. Ultimately, I'm thinking Torry might have been talking up and having fun with the guys on the Zoom call, more than making any sort of actual analysis that the article seems to imply.

I listened to the question and answers as I missed that section of the tailgate. Higbee's facial expression was hilarious. I think Tory was a little serious and having fun about the question. Kupp did say they touch on it last year. Higbee said they could do with TEs and RBs which they have on occasions. It's not going to be a mainstay in the offense. McVay has a lot of ways to get 4 guys lined up as WRs that can create mismatches. It would be interesting to see Woods, Kupp, Reynolds and Jefferson together on occasion.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think what Torry was saying was "Touchdown Rams" will be heard many times during every game this season for the Rams :cool:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
4 WR sets would be brilliant. How many WRs run block better than Woods and Kupp? If they take LBs off the field we run all day. Keep them on and one will be covering either Reynolds or Jefferson.

Not saying we should run it all the time, but I'd like a healthy mix of 11, two TEs and 4 WRs

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
What makes McVay different from Martz is the respect he has for the run game. Getting that going is the focus and rightly so.

You can throw and throw your way to a good season record but if you enter the playoffs without a ground game you will be ripe for an upset by more balanced teams.

Also we don't have a good enough OL to run a high percentage pass blocking attack. Don't fall into all that stuff. Finish the run game rebuild and hope your defense can step up to complement a balanced playoff quality attack.
If there’s an obvious weakness, it’s that probability based our offensive line’s weakness with pass blocking.

In other words, it’s still the way to stop us until the OL improves.