short list of coordinators for head coaching positions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Saw this on CBS Sports and thought it was interesting for a couple of reasons. First, because of a name that's not included on the list - Brian Schottenheimer, and because of the inclusion of several current coordinators and/or position coaches in our division.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...d-coaching-jobs-its-a-shallow-pool-in-the-nfl

For more news and notes from Jason La Canfora, tune into The NFL Today Sunday at noon ET on CBS.
After weeks of talking to execs, coaches and powerful coaching agents about the field of candidates for head coaching jobs in the NFL, from the pro and college ranks, there appears to be a relatively short list. Some wonder if there are enough proven candidates to fill the list of, say, eight openings, if the number of fired coaches reaches that high, while some coaches flying under the radar could end up nabbing positions in the end.
Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden and Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell have been approached for interviews in the past, and, with several teams looking to either fix current quarterbacks or find new quarterbacks (Detroit, Minnesota, Washington among them), they are expected to garner interest again this year, particularly if they achieve some playoff success. Carolina defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, who has led a dominant unit and has shined since being something of a scapegoat in Philadelphia, is also well positioned to land interviews, NFL sources believe. San Francisco offensive coordinator Greg Roman is the focus of much speculation regarding a possible job, but league sources say that 49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula, a former interim head coach of that team, is also though of highly by other teams.
Former Arizona head coach Ken Whisenhunt interviewed for several jobs a year ago and his work as San Diego's offensive coordinator has only helped his cause. I'd be shocked if he didn't end up a head coach again this offseason. Former Bears coach Lovie Smith already interviewed with the Texans and will be approached by several other teams, and could end up getting a job (some have identified Tampa as a suitor). Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien is also more than ready to jump back to the NFL, and he will interview for several positions and could land one. Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton has been seen as a rising star in recent years, though Cleveland's poor second half could work against him, while Saints offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael, Jr. will likely land an interview or two, and Dolphins quarterbacks coach Karl Dorrell, who has worked well with Ryan Tannehill, has head coaching experience and is highly thought of in the NFL office, sources said.
Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman also has abundant head coaching experience at the pro and college level. Former Ravens Super Bowl winning coach Brian Billick interviewed for the Eagles job a year ago and remains interested in a return to the sidelines under the right circumstances, sources said.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thanks for putting this up, Lunchbox. I read this earlier and thought the same thing.

Schotty returning is good for this young offense. There. I said it.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed. In addition I wouldn't mind seeing Seattle lose Bevell and SF lose Roman and/or Tomsula.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks for putting this up, Lunchbox. I read this earlier and thought the same thing.

Schotty returning is good for this young offense. There. I said it.
Agreed. With this qualifier.

That he AND Fisher recognize sooner when the offensive strategy/philosophy isn't working, and change it quicker.
Same goes for the defense.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Nothing would please me more than Schotty getting a head coaching job far far away.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nothing would please me more than Schotty getting a head coaching job far far away.
You don't say...

I never would have imagined you harbored such deep resentment for Schotty. You've always been so objective up til now. :razz:

RamzFanz

Damnit
You don't say...

I never would have imagined you harbored such deep resentment for Schotty. You've always been so objective up til now. :razz:

You know me, open minded and forgiving.