Short-handed Rams defense goes 'soft' on day offense shines

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
hort-handed Rams defense goes 'soft' on day offense shines

Alden Gonzalez
ESPN Staff Writer

DETROIT -- If the Los Angeles Rams can't find ways to win when their offense plays like this, they have a problem.

That was basically the sentiment from their defensive players following a disheartening 31-28 defeat to the Detroit Lions, one that saw the unit fail to force a turnover and allow five of seven drives to reach the red zone.

Rams middle linebacker Alec Ogletree said it was "a poor performance." Defensive tackle Aaron Donald called the overall play "sloppy." Defensive end William Hayes believed they "played soft." And E.J. Gaines simply said, "We should've come away with that win."

The Rams' defense allowed the Lions too many big plays and had trouble containing receiver Golden Taint. Leon Halip/Getty Images
"Our defense has got to play better than that," Rams coach Jeff Fisher added. "Thirty-one points is unacceptable, especially in a game when your offense is starting to click and we're making plays and scoring points, because that's been our area of struggle."

The Rams' offense was last in the NFL in yards per game through the first five weeks. But behind stellar
performances Sunday from Case Keenumand Kenny Britt, Los Angeles scored four touchdowns, gained 387 yards and notched 23 first downs.

For the second straight week, though, a short-handed Rams defense allowed too many big plays.

The Rams did a nice job of containing Marvin Jones, the NFL's leading receiver, even without No. 1 cornerback Trumaine Johnson. But they let everyone else go off, especially Golden Taint, who caught eight passes for 165 yards. Taint gained 34 on an early screen pass, got another 23 on a touchdown-scoring screen pass that tied the score at 28 and beat the Rams on a 62-yard play that brought him to the 1-yard line.

Troy Hill, forced into action after Johnson's ankle sprain, seemingly miscommunicated with Mark Barron in zone coverage, taking the inside receiver while letting Taint go over the top, then brought him down only by a shoelace after getting juked in the open field.

"They were just running a lot of screens and a lot of gadget plays, which we knew going in," Gaines said. "It’s just kind of what he does. Man, we just have to make tackles on him and contain him, and we couldn’t do that."

There was also Anquan Boldin, whose size continually presented matchup issues for the Rams' diminutive corners. And Andre Roberts, who fought off Gaines to catch a 2-yard touchdown pass from a scrambling Matthew Stafford on fourth-and-goal.

"Before I turned around the ball was kind of there," Gaines said. "I just have to make a play on that."

The Rams' defense made several game-changing plays during a three-game winning streak earlier this season, but it has been short-handed since, especially on the line. Defensive end Robert Quinn missed his second straight game and defensive tackle Michael Brockers, who sat out last Sunday, reinjured his hip early in the third quarter and never returned.

Without much pressure, Stafford registered a 139.8 passer rating, going 23-of-31 for 270 yards and four touchdowns.

"Guys just have to step up and pick up the slack," said Hayes, who watched the defense allow 193 rushing yards to the Buffalo Bills last week. "I just didn’t feel like nowhere on the field was dominant today. That’s just my personal opinion. We weren’t even flat; we just played soft today, all over the field."

[www.espn.com]

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I do like hearing the players taking responsibility for their poor performance defensively. Hopefully they will step up this weekend and put together a solid performance. It would really be nice to see all facets play solid together each week. It seems to be hit and miss each week so far this season.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
The disturbing thing to me is how Fisher never has all 3 phases ready to go in the same game. Really the only game I felt great about was Indy 2013. I like most of the pieces on the team, but I think a new coach and a streamlined and more aggressive approach on Offense can go a long way. I'd be fine if Snead was kept, wouldn't lose a ounce a sleep over a new hire either.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
but I think a new coach and a streamlined and more aggressive approach on Offense can go a long way. I'd be fine if Snead was kept, wouldn't lose a ounce a sleep over a new hire either.

Problem is finding that coach...There are some that have Head Coaching experience, however, how will they do on the other side of the ball. For example, if the Rams hired Josh McDaniels or Todd Haley, who would their defensive coordinator be? And if they went with a defensive coach with Head Coaching experience, like Jim Schwartz (doubt they go there coached under Fisher) who would his offensive coordinator be?

Always an issue and at this point many of us can come up with candidates, but with question marks too, however, like many, I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Welp....at least the culprits know who they are...I thought EJ, Troy, and LeMarcus were horrible...Poor tackling, poor coverage and just...The way that wr snatched that pass for a TD..on 4th down...Seemed soft to me...and not blaming the LB's or Safeties...Corners...

another note, if that's all the backups at DL bring...there is a reason you draft these types higher... I mean, Westbrooks, Sims, and Longacre....those 3....I don't know if they made 3 tackles combined....

Shoman01

Rookie
This team is soft on both sides of the ball. Most of the time they act like they don't know whats going on, the rest of the time they act like they don't care.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If EJ just stays in his zone and keeps his eyes on Stafford, he takes the ball back for a pick six. Instead the wide receiver makes a play on the ball. You have to make QBs pay for erratic passes like that. Stafford should have thrown at least two interceptions but our defense was out of position. I will surely feel good going into the bye at 4-3 but if not, it's time to play Goff. No point in keeping Keenum in if the season is going to be lost anyway.