Shawn Jefferson is expected to interview for Rams WR Coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
Veteran WRs coach Shawn Jefferson is expected to interview for WRs coaching job with #Rams and #Dolphins, source said.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
2013-15: Wide Receivers, Tennessee Titans
2008-12:
Wide Receivers, Detroit Lions
2007:
Assistant Wide Receivers, Detroit Lions
2006:
Offensive Assistant, Detroit Lions
2005: Coaching Assistant, Detroit Lions
2004: Volunteer Coach, Williams Raines H.S. (Jacksonville, Fla.)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Shawn Jefferson is in his third season as the wide receivers coach with the Titans after spending eight seasons as a coach for the Detroit Lions, including the last five years as the wide receivers coach.

The energetic Jefferson has helped WR Kendall Wright become the fastest player in franchise history to reach 200 receptions (41 games) and shattered the franchise mark for receptions in their first three seasons (214). Wright also set a career-high mark for touchdowns with six in 2014. WR Justin Hunter had his season cut short due to injury in 2014, but in his first two seasons in the NFL, he led all receivers in average per catch (18.5).

In his first season with the Titans, Jefferson oversaw Wright’s first 1,000-yard season as a pro, the second highest totals of Nate Washington’s career in receptions and yards and the maturation of Hunter into a big-play receiver. Wright became the first receiver in franchise history to lead the team in receptions in each of his first two years in the NFL and his 94 receptions in 2013, were the fifth-most for a season in franchise history.

Under Jefferson’s guidance in 2012, Lions WR Calvin Johnson broke the NFL record for receiving yards in a season (1,964), which surpassed Jerry Rice’s 1995 record. In fact, over the five years that Jefferson coached Johnson, he led the NFL in receiving yards with 7,080, receiving touchdowns with 50 and receptions of 25 yards or more with 70. He also earned three Pro Bowl invitations (2010, 2011, 2012) and was named All Pro in 2011 and 2012.

In the 2011 season, the wide receiver corps helped the Lions offense reach new heights as the team set franchise marks for completions (423) and passing yards (5,071). Johnson set a then-career mark with 1,681 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns. WR Nate Burleson posted a career-high 73 receptions and rookie WR Titus Young totaled 48 grabs.

Jefferson originally joined the Lions in 2005 as a coaching assistant. He was promoted to offensive assistant in 2006 and assistant wide receivers coach in 2007.

After his NFL career was complete, he joined the coaching ranks as a volunteer coach at his high school alma mater, Williams Raines H.S. in 2004.

A 13-year NFL veteran, Jefferson played for four teams (San Diego, New England, Atlanta, Detroit) and totaled 195 games played, 7,023 receiving yards and two Super Bowls appearances (XXXIX with the Chargers and XXXI with the Patriots). Jefferson was originally a ninth-round selection of the Houston Oilers in 1991. He played his college football at Central Florida.

Raised in Florida, Jefferson and his wife, Marla, have two daughters, Paige and Faith; and a son, Van.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/Jefferson_Shawn/b391a11b-e7c4-4903-973d-20f5499a7427

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
So the new OC won't pick his own staff? - I'm just a bit confused here cause I thought the positive to be taken from Sherman losing his job was that it paved the way for the new offensive coordinator to come in and pick his own staff???

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So the new OC won't pick his own staff? - I'm just a bit confused here cause I thought the positive to be taken from Sherman losing his job was that it paved the way for the new offensive coordinator to come in and pick his own staff???
We really don't know, what if this is the WR coach that John DeFilippo wants?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
At least they're looking at someone who has a Track record of working with Good WR's!! And they produced!!!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm lukewarm on Jefferson although he's a former NFL WR so there is that....Bio

jefferson_shawn_ci.jpg

Shawn Jefferson is in his third season as the wide receivers coach with the Titans after spending eight seasons as a coach for the Detroit Lions, including the last five years as the wide receivers coach.

The energetic Jefferson has helped WR Kendall Wright become the fastest player in franchise history to reach 200 receptions (41 games) and shattered the franchise mark for receptions in their first three seasons (214). Wright also set a career-high mark for touchdowns with six in 2014. WR Justin Hunter had his season cut short due to injury in 2014, but in his first two seasons in the NFL, he led all receivers in average per catch (18.5).

In his first season with the Titans, Jefferson oversaw Wright’s first 1,000-yard season as a pro, the second highest totals of Nate Washington’s career in receptions and yards and the maturation of Hunter into a big-play receiver. Wright became the first receiver in franchise history to lead the team in receptions in each of his first two years in the NFL and his 94 receptions in 2013, were the fifth-most for a season in franchise history.

Under Jefferson’s guidance in 2012, Lions WR Calvin Johnson broke the NFL record for receiving yards in a season (1,964), which surpassed Jerry Rice’s 1995 record. In fact, over the five years that Jefferson coached Johnson, he led the NFL in receiving yards with 7,080, receiving touchdowns with 50 and receptions of 25 yards or more with 70. He also earned three Pro Bowl invitations (2010, 2011, 2012) and was named All Pro in 2011 and 2012.

In the 2011 season, the wide receiver corps helped the Lions offense reach new heights as the team set franchise marks for completions (423) and passing yards (5,071). Johnson set a then-career mark with 1,681 receiving yards and 16 touchdowns. WR Nate Burleson posted a career-high 73 receptions and rookie WR Titus Young totaled 48 grabs.

Jefferson originally joined the Lions in 2005 as a coaching assistant. He was promoted to offensive assistant in 2006 and assistant wide receivers coach in 2007.

After his NFL career was complete, he joined the coaching ranks as a volunteer coach at his high school alma mater, Williams Raines H.S. in 2004.

A 13-year NFL veteran, Jefferson played for four teams (San Diego, New England, Atlanta, Detroit) and totaled 195 games played, 7,023 receiving yards and two Super Bowls appearances (XXXIX with the Chargers and XXXI with the Patriots). Jefferson was originally a ninth-round selection of the Houston Oilers in 1991. He played his college football at Central Florida.

Raised in Florida, Jefferson and his wife, Marla, have two daughters, Paige and Faith; and a son, Van.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/Jefferson_Shawn/b391a11b-e7c4-4903-973d-20f5499a7427

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What I'd like to know is how the DeFillipo interview went. So tired of the STL press and their inability to get information out of the Rams.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm lukewarm on Jefferson although he's a former NFL WR so there is that....Bio

jefferson_shawn_ci.jpg

This post looks familiar :whistle:

MountainRam

Rookie
What I'd like to know is how the DeFillipo interview went. So tired of the STL press and their inability to get information out of the Rams.

Rams beat writers are scared to death to even ask a single tough question in press conference. They may be the worst group of beat writers in in the entire league in the last 50 years.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
2013-15: Wide Receivers, Tennessee Titans
2008-12: Wide Receivers, Detroit Lions
2007: Assistant Wide Receivers, Detroit Lions
2006: Offensive Assistant, Detroit Lions
2005: Coaching Assistant, Detroit Lions
2004: Volunteer Coach, Williams Raines H.S. (Jacksonville, Fla.)
I'm cool on ex-Titan & ex-Lion coaches & players....for every Nick Fairley & William Hayes, theres a...what's that DC coaches name? and a cortland finnegan...we won't go into Jared Cook....and I'm not that impressed with Williams either...

FrankenRam

Starter

I think a lot of people jumped to a similar conclusion. While it's interesting that the Rams have asked for permission to speak with DeFillipo(sp?), that doesn't necessarily extrapolate to them definitely seeking a new OC. It could mean they are, but it could just as easily indicate nothing more than them exploring possibilities.

Ram65

Legend
He has an interview with the "Wonder Boy" Adam Gaze!

Late round pick that had a nice NFL career. Says he is energetic! Rams WR need some energy or something. It would appear that he is a hard worker and has been coaching some big time WRs. He could very well be the hot WR coach this off season.

I don't know what it means interviewing him before Rams announce the new OC. At least they appear to be moving forward.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Just a quick question - has Bruce expressed any interest in doing this (for Rams or anyone), I know he seems to be living the good life with the family and pops his head in on occasion so maybe he is happy and secure and wouldn't want the hassle....but darn I feel like he would be a good one to teach young guys. He wasn't the fastest or the best jumper, but man he could run a clean route. Just think that he might be a good fit for a job like this - not that I have any knowledge that he would even have interest.

I tend to think those that worked hard as pros tend to be better coaches - as apposed to Moss (who I know Austin trained with at one point) who really lived off being a physical anomaly.

FrankenRam

Starter
I tend to think those that worked hard as pros tend to be better coaches - as apposed to Moss (who I know Austin trained with at one point) who really lived off being a physical anomaly.

I tend to think a good coach is about 80% ability to teach, 10% ability to gain the respect of the players they coach, and 10% a bunch of other 'intangibles'...one of which would be their work ethic.

How successful they were as a player, whether they worked hard or relied solely on their individual talent, is a very small aspect of coaching ability. Some of the greatest players that have ever played any pro sport couldn't coach/manage their way out of a wet paper bag.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Some of the greatest players that have ever played any pro sport couldn't coach/manage their way out of a wet paper bag.

I agree with this 100%, but also tend to think that part of that is based on the fact they can't necessarily relate to the "average" player. I had used Moss as an example because of that - you can't really teach speed or leaping. Marshall for instance might have trouble transfer the football IQ or understanding how or why someone else just can't see the minute details that are so clear to him.

whether they worked hard or relied solely on their individual talent, is a very small aspect of coaching ability.

I do tend to disagree with this - mainly from the view that you can't teach what you have never learned. For instance Deion could teach interception technique, but I would never want him to start talking about tackling technique....if that makes sense

I do tend to think the over performers, they guys who did the things to extend their careers have things to share and teach - of course as you said many can't do that, it is a ability many do not have - for instance bruce was a GREAT route runner and had a long career and a lot of what he did was beyond what the measurable said you would expect from him (he wasn't fastest or biggest). I wonder if there are tips/tricks lessons he could teach younger players as a coach (I am not sure the a few hours when he swings by camp are enough). It is the same way I think London might be a great LB coach.

Once again not sure they actually have the ability to teach or the interest...