Shaun Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Hill or Davis against the Hawks?

• Total voters

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If AD goes down or continues to lose and Hill comes in and tears it up, we're going to be bummed.

And if he comes in and actually isn't better than AD and Fisher loses the team for flip flopping on QBs, we're going to be bummed.

But I see very little likelihood that Hill "tears it up". In his half he was a careful game manager, until he threw that senseless interception.

There are advantages to both QBs - but let's not pretend that Hill is a star in waiting who somehow has fallen through the cracks over the years.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher said Davis is the starter for the remainder of the season.

I'm confused as to why this discussion continues.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Neither does trying to run down Davis, which is what you're doing. There's no running down here, just fact. Using wins and losses is more trying to run down than that. Football is a team sport, losses aren't indicative of players, you know this.

Hill didn't survive one game with this line, fact. Hill made his fair share of bad decisions with this line, hell the last play he made before his injury took him was a pick, do in most part to the fact that he had a fella in his face during. Hill isn't above making bad decisions. So while you're allowed to think he might not have made those throws, I'm allowed to think in the face of pressure he might have. Also I don't really imagine Hill would be much better at holding onto the football when he's getting hit from the blindside than Davis, that's where a majority of his fumbles came from. S'not like he's dropping it left and right, he's getting hit HARD when he's not expecting it, I doubt any QB can stand to claim they'd do better. Also I really doubt with his limited and lesser mobility that Hill would have avoided any sacks, in fact I'd wager he'd have taken several more by now. Davis' feet have saved him from quite a few. Being better at blitz pick up means very little when your blockers aren't very good at doing their assignments. I'd say that Bradford was pretty good at blitz pick up(Better than Davis is currently) and much more mobile than Hill, but he still took his lumps because no matter what you audible into your guys still have to do their jobs, and guess what's not being done?

You're also not giving Davis credit for the things he did right, IE the fact that we were in those games to begin with by him keeping drives alive, making good throws and generally being on the money often times. Does he make mistakes? Yeah, he's young and he's not in the best situation, they suck but they come. That doesn't do away with the fact that he's done good, and that he's had a lot of good done away by either the refs or his own teammates. Cook and Pettis basically dropped game winners on him multiple times and the refs have shattered our momentum multiple times, if you're gonna look at the negative you gotta look at the positive too. S'not fair to hang the losses on him solely because they weren't, not even close.

Of course if Hill comes in and he sucks and causes us even more unacceptable losses that'd suck too, what does rhetoric have to do with this?

Yes, everything you said about Davis in the third paragraph I agree is true. He has made some great throws and has kept drives alive. I'm not saying he hasn't done good or that he can't be the future. I'm only saying, in this system with the Rams faults and talents, Hill would produce even more and avoid some of ADs mistakes.

That's my opinion. We shall see if he gets a chance.

RamzFanz

Damnit
What I don't understand is this past tense nonsense...What can Hill do? We saw what Hill can do, and that is get hurt in the first game. His prone to injury hasn't helped us, and may not help us any further due to his injury flaw, so what makes you think he can do any better moving forward? Ok, ok I see where this argument will go, "He is healthy he won't be the same Shaun Hill we saw at the beginning of this season." Well Shaun Hill being the veteran on the Rams QB staff people sure have seen enough of him.

So, if a QB gets injured once, he's injury prone now? This is what I'm talking about in thread. If you like AD and think he should have been named the starter, fine. There's no need to exaggerate or make up an injury history.

I'm not basing my opinion on the opening game alone. If I were, I would still want to see what SH has in this offense.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If AD goes down or continues to lose and Hill comes in and tears it up, we're going to be bummed.

This is the same thing we've been saying about our starting QBs since Warner hurt his hand. Let's just wait until after the mid season before we start the relentless STL Ram fan drumbeat for the backup. Just this once can we give a man a chance? I mean after "Warner's too hurt, Bulger's too young, too slow, too beat up, too calm, Bradford's too slow, won't go deep, too calm, throws too hard,, Davis too scrambly, won't go short, throws too soft" it starts to wear on a fan.

RamzFanz

Damnit

You mean this?

“No,” Fisher said, via the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “When Shaun comes back, he’s our starter. I’m really proud of Austin, but Shaun’s our starter when he can play.”

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Cuz the most popular guy on a losing team is usually the backup QB, he never loses until he gets in the game ,OR because the coach of a losing team can't possibly be qualified to decide which of his Qb's gives his team the best chance to win.
Hills a damned good backup it's not like there is no evidence to believe he could be doing well maybe even have won one of those last three games ,I thought if the rest of the team played up to their potential we'd have a decent year with him, no one saw AD coming ( except Marshal Faulk and Stranger), there are people who thrive on game competition and obviously he is one of them ,either side of this discussion has good points to make.
Until I abandon faith in the coach I'll support his decisions if for no other reason than to avoid cursing the darkness,cuz like you said ,the most important opinion is Fisher's,and we know what that is.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Am I going crazy - didn't I havea reply I posted here this morning???? Did it get deleted in clean-up (it was a quad post due to a firewall issue I was having). Just wondering.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What I don't understand is this past tense nonsense...What can Hill do? We saw what Hill can do, and that is get hurt in the first game. His prone to injury hasn't helped us, and may not help us any further due to his injury flaw, so what makes you think he can do any better moving forward? Ok, ok I see where this argument will go, "He is healthy he won't be the same Shaun Hill we saw at the beginning of this season." Well Shaun Hill being the veteran on the Rams QB staff people sure have seen enough of him.
How can you possibly say Hill is "prone to injury"? He strained a muscle. It happens to a lot of athletes. You seem to want to base your entire evaluation of a veteran QB in 2 quarters of football with THIS team.

First off Hill could of had past tense. A veteran QB is held to higher standards of showing. He had that chance.

Secondly, if Hill was to tear it up he should of done that in the beginning of the season to put us fans in awe. I for one would not have been butt hurt if that would of been the case.

He had that chance? In one half of football, where the entire offense imploded by penalties, mistakes and just couldn't get out of its own way. In that half of football, Shawn Hill was not the problem. And what does putting "us fans is awe" have anything to do with the decision to play Hill or Davis? Do you honestly believe that you as a fan has that much power of such decisions?

LooNaTik83

How can you possibly say Hill is "prone to injury"? He strained a muscle. It happens to a lot of athletes. You seem to want to base your entire evaluation of a veteran QB in 2 quarters of football with THIS team.

He had that chance? In one half of football, where the entire offense imploded by penalties, mistakes and just couldn't get out of its own way. In that half of football, Shawn Hill was not the problem. And what does putting "us fans is awe" have anything to do with the decision to play Hill or Davis? Do you honestly believe that you as a fan has that much power of such decisions?

Yes he had that chance bro. Its plain and simple there are no If's, Why, Ands, or Buts about it. He strained a muscle? Come On Man, his age must be getting to him if it was just a strained muscle. Let's just put it this way we can't have that kind of weakness leading this team. His injury wasn't major he was able to practice the entire week after that game, why didn't he just suck it up if he was so worried about his job, I know why he didn't WANT it. As far as the decision? No Fisher made that decision to use Davis, do you think you as a fan have that power to reverse Fishers decision?

Last edited by a moderator:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yes he had that chance bro. Its plain and simple there are no If's, Why, Ands, or Buts about it. He strained a muscle? Come On Man, his age must be getting to him if it was just a strained muscle. Let's just put it this way we can't have that kind of weakness leading this team. As far as the decision? No Fisher made that decision to use Davis, do you think you as a fan have that power to reverse Fishers decision?
I have never once said I have any power to influence any decision this coaching staff or any other makes. I have always taken the approach of observing what is happening, and trying to understand the reasons why they make those decisions. Doesn't mean I always agree with them. I also form my opinion based on the things I see firsthand, other than just what happens on Sundays. I admit I have the opportunity to see a little more of this team than many do, so my opinion is formed on seeing things that many don't get a chance to see. Not saying I am "all knowing" .... never have claimed to be. But I do think I have a pretty good idea of what I am watching and I trust the people who tell me things about what's going on.

So you are disputing that Hill strained his quad muscle? So one half of football constitutes "having his chance" in your opinion? You are saying his injury wasn't major , so just rub some dirt on it and get back out there? Interesting. And you know that how?

I am just trying to understand how and why you formed that opinion. I am not trying to pick a fight. Just looking for some clarification as to why you seem to think he "had his chance".

LooNaTik83

So you are disputing that Hill strained his quad muscle? So one half of football constitutes "having his chance" in your opinion? You are saying his injury wasn't major , so just rub some dirt on it and get back out there? Interesting. And you know that how?

I am just trying to understand how and why you formed that opinion. I am not trying to pick a fight. Just looking for some clarification as to why you seem to think he "had his chance".

Firstly the injury, a strained quad muscle only requires 15-20 mins of ice applied to the muscle that is strained. That is a fact, and maybe if he properly did the warm up excercises this would of never happened. So basically yes he could of got back out there and kept fighting with his team IF he really WANTED to. Hence he had that chance, but apparently in this age of the NFL something as serious as a cramp constitutes as being out for the rest of the game or possibly longer. That is weak if you ask me. Give me a break I for damn sure wouldn't want a weak quarterback who can't get over a quad strain that wasn't even mild leading the team.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Firstly the injury, a strained quad muscle only requires 15-20 mins of ice applied to the muscle that is strained. That is a fact, and maybe if he properly did the warm up excercises this would of never happened. So basically yes he could of got back out there and kept fighting with his team IF he really WANTED to. Hence he had that chance, but apparently in this age of the NFL something as serious as a cramp constitutes as being out for the rest of the game or possibly longer. That is weak if you ask me. Give me a break I for damn sure wouldn't want a weak quarterback who can't get over a quad strain that wasn't even mild leading the team.
WOW! 15-20 minutes of ice, then you're good to go. got ya.

And for the record. HE played a good portion of the first half with that quad injury. and he wanted to continue playing. But the training staff and the COACHING STAFF made the decision not to risk further injury and sat him down. But because he is old, he is weak?

Don't bother replying to this. you made your point.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The only significant playing time Hill ever got was a 3 year span where he put up about an 82 passer rating in 24 starts. What leads you to believe he'd suddenly jump into the 100's and (far?) surpass what Davis has been doing?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Come on man. Are you a sports doctor? I can get with a lot of reasons why I think AD should start over Hill but this is really reaching as you could not possibly know the extent of the injury or how it was hindering him. And a strained quad is the same thing as a cramp? I urge you to knock it off because here it appears you are just trying anything to argue.

Debacled

Starter

Hey look, our very own Marvin Lewis.

Just rub some dirt on it Johnny, you'll be fine.

Just a little FYI. A "strain" is more than just "ice n go". Its actually a muscle tear, not a complete tear but still a tear.

The only fact here is that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

LooNaTik83

Just a little FYI. A "strain" is more than just "ice n go". Its actually a muscle tear, not a complete tear but still a tear.

If you're sure a strain is more than just a strain or a muscle tear why add in "not a complete tear, but still a tear"? I would be confused too. He was sacked, got up on his own terms walked to the sidelines normally, after commercial break he had an injury?. No one actually knows what Shaun Hill had. You can call it whatever you want.

Players have continued playing with much more serious injuries than just a muscle contusion. I guarantee that's all he had, he felt sorry for himself is all. Why people feel sorry for him is beyond me. I honestly don't care about the past and what injuries he may have had it's irrelevant at this point.

LooNaTik83

And for the record. HE played a good portion of the first half with that quad injury.

A quad injury? Can you be more specific. You seem like you were his doctor and you knew thee 'exact' duration of time he played while he had this quad injury. Honestly I just see speculation now from very few. The same attackers will continue to attack in favor of Shaun Hill and be in his defense because of his so called injury. I frankly don't give a damn, because he isn't playing anyways, and putting up points for this team.

And according to the OP Hill is irrelevant. Because he will not be playing the Seahawks anyways.