Shaun Hill 2014 = Josh McCown 2013?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Think about it... guy's a career backup - widely regarded as a really good backup - who steps in and becomes the starter on a fairly well-established team when the starter goes out. Similarly-built offense - big investment in the O-line (fresh LT in Bushrod, new guard in Slauson and rookie mauler in Kyle Long), twin towers of terror on the outside (Jeffery and Marshall vs. Britt and Quick), strong run game...

With everyone making a (frankly absurd) Kurt Warner comparison, I think Hill in 2014 could have success more akin to what McCown did last year.

We will rally around Shaun Hill and play good football.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
McCown was built for that offense they ran in Chicago. He was a perfect fit.

Based on how Schottenheimer has run the offense over the last few years, I'd say Hill is a good fit here as well.

Hope he has the same success!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Think about it... guy's a career backup - widely regarded as a really good backup - who steps in and becomes the starter on a fairly well-established team when the starter goes out. Similarly-built offense - big investment in the O-line (fresh LT in Bushrod, new guard in Slauson and rookie mauler in Kyle Long), twin towers of terror on the outside (Jeffery and Marshall vs. Britt and Quick), strong run game...

With everyone making a (frankly absurd) Kurt Warner comparison, I think Hill in 2014 could have success more akin to what McCown did last year.

We will rally around Shaun Hill and play good football.

I can see this happening. He' a smart veteran that won't give the game away. I'm content at this point with Hill. After this season we'll worry about a long term starter. We are not going to tank, winning season is on the horizon.

Irish

Starter
A system QB can win in Schotty's offense just as easily as a superstar QB. I don't think anyone would argue that the offense Russell Wilson is running is the most complex thing in the world, but he plays perfectly in the system. If Hill can develop an early rapport with his receivers, this team really won't miss that much of a beat. Sam is probably good for 3-5 more TDs in a season, but other than that the difference is not that dramatic.

SWMO Fan

UDFA
Name
Mike
Personally, I believe we will do just fine this season with Hill as our starter.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Exact same thought occurred to me. The McCown metaphor isn't nearly as optimistic as Kurt Warner, but much more appropriate. Needless to say, I'd be thrilled with a McCown kinda year for 2014.

Of course, McCown is a Buc now, similar to Shaun Hill right down to the 1 year contract. Age is also similar, Hill 34 this year, McCown 34 last year. This all still begs the question, even if Hill does play well this year, what about next year? What are the Rams building towards for the future?

Imperfect as though Bradford may have been, he offered the possibility of a 10+ year run at QB. @junkman grumbles to himself... contemplates another shot of Jack.

Jack-Daniel-s-jack-daniels-6792304-566-733.jpg

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
If Hill can develop an early rapport with his receivers, this team really won't miss that much of a beat. Sam is probably good for 3-5 more TDs in a season, but other than that the difference is not that dramatic.
This!

I still see the team as holding up pretty well without Bradford. I think he might be worth an extra win late in a close game, but I don't see a huge dropoff in production.

DaniRamFan

UDFA
Name
Danielle
I honestly don't know Shaun Hill's career up to this point, so it's difficult for me to assess this season going forward. All I can say is I'm less optimistic about our success than I was with Bradford going into the season. Picking up the pieces after the heartbreak we've all been experiencing is not so easy--it's just been a day since we got the news. If players could be like shark's teeth and position themselves as instant identical replacements then we could go on with business as usual; this is more like a bridge which has to fit into the same space, it takes time to adjust to it but more often than not it's successful. I just wish he had more time in Shottenheimer's system. I actually think Austin Davis should be starting ahead of Hill at this point.

A55VA6

Legend
Good comparison, DCH. I think Hill can lead this offense. He's got plenty of experience and has done well on some bad football teams. This team has some of the most talent he's ever had to work with, I think. We've already seen flashes this preseason with the deep TD to Bailey, and the deep ball where Britt jumped up and snagged it down, nice throw to Cook for a first down. Hill gets rid of the ball quickly because he has faith in the WR's that they'll make plays.

I'm excited to see what Hill can do. He seems like a great leader as well. Should be fun to watch. I'm not scared going forward!

fearsomefour

Legend
I honestly don't know Shaun Hill's career up to this point, so it's difficult for me to assess this season going forward. All I can say is I'm less optimistic about our success than I was with Bradford going into the season. Picking up the pieces after the heartbreak we've all been experiencing is not so easy--it's just been a day since we got the news. If players could be like shark's teeth and position themselves as instant identical replacements then we could go on with business as usual; this is more like a bridge which has to fit into the same space, it takes time to adjust to it but more often than not it's successful. I just wish he had more time in Shottenheimer's system. I actually think Austin Davis should be starting ahead of Hill at this point.
Hill is much better than Davis at this point. Hill has had good years with undermanned Detroit teams and was even solid on a bad SF team.
Hill was brought it because the team knew they needed a guy who could start if Bradford had a set back. They did not anticipate Hill having to play 16 games, but, he certainly is capable.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Shaun Hill was beating us when he was a 49er. He's no Peyton Manning but he's a pretty decent QB, I think.

RamzFanz

Damnit
McCown is a good comparison. I changed my Sig.

I had Cuttler in FF and grabbed McCown off the waiver wire. I left RG3 on the bench and was happy I did.

Hill is better than KC and the Rams are looking much better than the Rams of last season. My outlook is not bleak, just cautious.

I would go with Hill and grab the QB of the future in the draft or in free agency. If Hill goes down, then it's a throw of the dice.