Several thoughts after reflecting on the Saint game win...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Disagree that Kupp had a “bad game” against the Vikings, 65.

He was 6 catches on 7 targets!

Almost any WR would have fumbled there, not just Kupp. It was a helluva defensive play.

Missed the big one and fumbled at the one yard line.

I bet if you ask Kupp if he had a bad game he would say yes.

Would a rough day be more accurate?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Anybody else surprised that there weren’t more attacks on the Saint backup CB’s? I thought McVay would be all over it and all game long.

Speaking of McVay, I was going crazy with all the Tavon touches early on while legit threats and producers were seeing their touches diminished. More Gurley, Watkins, Kupp, Higbee, and Reynolds Coach!

Nice post.

I also noticed the comment by Goff on how they didn't go after specific guys, that they just ran their offense. Which at first surprised me. But the more I thought about it, the more it's a reflection of a young QB at the helm. At some point he'll develop to where he'll rearrange priorities in his head with his reads based on matchup and be able to do it and be right, resulting in more big plays. But I'm very happy with where he is right now.

Goff has played two big games back to back that are of playoff level, both against legit defenses, and hasn't done what young QBs have a tendency to do in turning the ball over. McVay's praise of him was appropriate.

The Tavon touches... I swear man I was just rollin my eyes every time. IMO it's a reflection of McVay being a young HC that he is still allowing Tavon to squander downs. The guy does not fit in this offense. He should have been traded. But even right now there are better options in every single circumstance to him. Pharoh Cooper deserves more snaps and while he's not as fast as Tay he is probably a better option to produce positive yards on the end arounds and jet sweep threats.

I am so done with Tavon. Just feel like I'm on effin crazy pills when it comes to him. Like I'm yelling "Blue steel is the same look" while everyone talks about him like he's going to explode with big plays at any moment. The dude has like 15 poor results for every gainer, drives me nuts but whatever, not like whining about it is going to effect any sort of change.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Disagree that Kupp had a “bad game” against the Vikings, 65.

He was 6 catches on 7 targets!

Almost any WR would have fumbled there, not just Kupp. It was a helluva defensive play.

Somehow I doubt that the Vikings want to see the rams again in the playoffs.

Hopefully the Vikings stumble so we can work our way into a bye week in the playoffs.

Tano

Legend
Prevent D has got to go. That drive took 40 seconds. And was their most productive mutiplay drive. It didn't prevent anything. Yes they had the drive with the long run but even that drive with less plays took longer
I will always call it Prevent a Win defense

Imperial

UDFA
Name
Imperial
Nice post.

The Tavon touches... I swear man I was just rollin my eyes every time. IMO it's a reflection of McVay being a young HC that he is still allowing Tavon to squander downs. The guy does not fit in this offense. He should have been traded. But even right now there are better options in every single circumstance to him. Pharoh Cooper deserves more snaps and while he's not as fast as Tay he is probably a better option to produce positive yards on the end arounds and jet sweep threats.

I am so done with Tavon. Just feel like I'm on effin crazy pills when it comes to him. Like I'm yelling "Blue steel is the same look" while everyone talks about him like he's going to explode with big plays at any moment. The dude has like 15 poor results for every gainer, drives me nuts but whatever, not like whining about it is going to effect any sort of change.

Pretty much my feelings regarding Tavon. The fakes appear to be less and less effective, and when he does get the ball, he goes down like a ton of bricks on contact. BTW...nice Zoolander reference!

Attachments

• mugato.jpg
    mugato.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 105

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just some stuff that the beat writers haven’t touched on much yet.

Anybody else surprised that there weren’t more attacks on the Saint backup CB’s? I thought McVay would be all over it and all game long.

Speaking of McVay, I was going crazy with all the Tavon touches early on while legit threats and producers were seeing their touches diminished. More Gurley, Watkins, Kupp, Higbee, and Reynolds Coach!

Why is it that Wade’s D gives up long TD runs early in so many games? Then tightens up for the rest of the day? It’s driving me nuts! This has GOT to be fixed before the playoffs. Heck, before the Eagle game. Just tell them at the starting kickoff that it’s the 2nd qtr, Wade, and watch them kick butt. Lol.

Too many missed tackles yesterday. Another thing that must be cleaned up.

I predict that Watkins will now be a bigger focus on the part of both Goff and McVay.

Helluva game by Kupp. I love this kid and look forward to the next 10 years of his production excellence. I think that some have overreacted to those rare occasions where he fails to make the catch. And that crucial fumble vs the Vikings, of course. Kupp is a gem and was a 3rd round steal.

Been a long, long time since the Rams have had so many quality receivers that they could deploy, huh? A great feeling.

Well, the Goff doubters are becoming pretty scarce these days. Most important position on the team appears to be in very good hands for the next 15 years. Can you imagine what he might become after another couple of seasons under McVay?

Can someone explain to me why coaches love that dreaded Prevent D? After holding Brees to 13 points (including that 7 point Kamara early burst) for 56 danged minutes, they do their “Prevent thing” and give him 7 points in about one minute. Nobody on our coaching staff noticed what Brees did to the Redskin Prevent D in 3 minutes the previous week? Sheesh! ‘Bout had a heart attack watching those last 3 minutes yesterday!

Malcolm Brown can’t get back soon enough for me. Dunbar is never healthy, Tavon is useless, and I guess McVay doesn’t trust Austin Davis.

I’ll be honest. I was afraid that the Saint juggernaut was gonna keep rolling all the way to the NFC Championship game and the Rams would become their 9th win in a row. I am so proud of what the Ram team and coaches accomplished yesterday. The Rams are truly for real. They may not go all the way, but it would be a big mistake for anyone to not take them seriously the rest of the way. I haven’t felt this much pride and respect for the Rams in at least 13-15 years.

Can Reynolds and Everett play, or what? Bright future for both those kids.

Gotta give it up for Quinn in this game. I’ve been down on him lately, but he picked a great game to flash as a bit of an impact player.

Barwin wasn’t really missed when he had to come out. Does that mean what I think it means? Hmmmmm...

Romo was a joy to listen to. If, somehow, either Romo or Spielman could do color on all Ram games, I would be one happy camper.

Romo had some kind words for Ogletree, didn’t he? Said that his play was evidence of heavy film study.

Magnificent tackle by Webster to save a TD. Both a textbook and inspirational tackle.

The flea flicker trick play was a surprise. Not that they called it, but that Pharoah wasn’t the one throwing the ball. AND that McVay hadn’t designed it such that the Saints would be caught with their pants down and at least ONE Ram would be open. Those last 2 things are pretty important in such a trick play. Lol.

All in all, it was a helluva game and against a helluva opponent. Fun to watch, but I was limp by halftime. Lol.

Then again, 8 more just like that would be fine by me. Yeah, I was counting the playoffs in there, too.

It's not about Tavon's production. A defender can only be in one place and be leaning one way. Tavon, if ignored will and has gashed teams badly. One missed tackle on a jet sweep and he's gone. No one's gonna catch him. So they have to rotate coverage to ensure he's contained. There was a stat, two weeks ago I think, that showed Gurley's YPC at 3 point something without Tavon and 8 point something with Tavon showing jet sweep or end around.

So Tavon's doing his job. There's no question that his contribution doesn't match his compensation, but he's doing very well at his job which is to distract the D. As long as they pay attention, he's doing his job. No DC wants to be the guy who ignored TA only to have ESPN running 70 yd jet sweeps for TDs on a loop. So, that's why Tavon was getting his touches. And even as small as he is, he does pick up blitzes and sells out, which you have to do or Goff gets smoked.

Kupp, if he continues his progress from the last 3 games will end up the season right around 80 catches and 1000 yds (technically it comes to 79 catches and 975 yards, but that's close enough). That's #1 WR territory, let alone massive production for a rookie.

Lastly, it's clear we have 3 needs. NT is the first. By far. OLB is the second, two of them. Wade needs his Demarcus Ware or Von Miller. We need to find that person for him. And lastly we need another CB. I'm thinking Malcolm Butler. That would give us a CB corps of Butler, Tru (I think they'll resign him), Webster, NRC and whoever wins out next camp. That group could be dominant.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's not about Tavon's production. A defender can only be in one place and be leaning one way. Tavon, if ignored will and has gashed teams badly. One missed tackle on a jet sweep and he's gone. No one's gonna catch him. So they have to rotate coverage to ensure he's contained. There was a stat, two weeks ago I think, that showed Gurley's YPC at 3 point something without Tavon and 8 point something with Tavon showing jet sweep or end around.

So Tavon's doing his job. There's no question that his contribution doesn't match his compensation, but he's doing very well at his job which is to distract the D. As long as they pay attention, he's doing his job. No DC wants to be the guy who ignored TA only to have ESPN running 70 yd jet sweeps for TDs on a loop. So, that's why Tavon was getting his touches. And even as small as he is, he does pick up blitzes and sells out, which you have to do or Goff gets smoked.

Kupp, if he continues his progress from the last 3 games will end up the season right around 80 catches and 1000 yds (technically it comes to 79 catches and 975 yards, but that's close enough). That's #1 WR territory, let alone massive production for a rookie.

Lastly, it's clear we have 3 needs. NT is the first. By far. OLB is the second, two of them. Wade needs his Demarcus Ware or Von Miller. We need to find that person for him. And lastly we need another CB. I'm thinking Malcolm Butler. That would give us a CB corps of Butler, Tru (I think they'll resign him), Webster, NRC and whoever wins out next camp. That group could be dominant.

We see Tavon differently, Mackeyser.

For example, and if leoram is right about Tavon being the guilty party missing Goff’s screen audible, he caused Goff to be charged with intentional grounding which cost the 10 yards AND loss of down. On a play set up beautifully by the other 10 players for a needed big gainer. A drive killing stupid mistake.

Mr 7 Wonderlic has issues. He’s an effing net liability. We are loaded with O playmakers this year. Hell, we can’t even get all of them on the field at one time because there are so many! Tavon has outlasted his usefulness.

If one of his mistakes costs us a playoff game...

Sigh...

Okay. Rant over. Where’s my blood pressure medicine?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think we should give Cooper Kupp a few more chances to throw the ball. Looked like a golden arm to me!!

Great, ... if there's anything we need it's a QB controversy between Kupp & Hekker. :LOL:

Perhaps if someone had invented a medieval finger 'rack' to stretch Tavon Austin's fingers, maybe we could get our squirley 5'8" decoy/gadget to catch or throw too. There must be something we can do to improve his stats, ... I say 'rack' him up. :banghead:

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Okay. Rant over. Where’s my blood pressure medicine?
If you need medication when discussing Tavon...
Then Tavon wins.

Let it work itself out. You're not infinitely smarter than the coach who sees him everyday. If Austin is actively fucking up plays then he will be phased out. Why work yourself up about it and/or obsess over it? He's on the team, he's trying to contribute and he wants to win. If that's not enough to root for him to achieve success, then you have impossible standards. Personally, and this isn't directed solely at you, I'm getting a little tired of the constant complaining about our players when they don't meet our expectations. We don't root for helmets and decals, after all. Cut these guys some slack. It's not like they're trying to ruin your day or anything. Hope they get better. If they don't, that always rectifies itself in the end.

Mr 7 Wonderlic has issues.
That.

Isn't necessary.

TexasRam

Legend
A few thoughts after rewatching the first half:

Kupps drop on third down with 12:44’to go in the second quarter (which pissed me off more than you know) was a great play by the defender. The defender arrived early and smacked Kupp across The helmet and face mask. Watch it it in slow mo. It caused Kupp to lose track of the ball just before it reached his hands. The ref could have called pass interference but because it was just before the catch it didn’t get called. I’m not blaming Kupp for that one.

Watkins drop on 3rd down was right on his hands.

If I am Goff I am thinking come on guys catch the dam ball. Third down drives lose football games.

Tavon actually had some key nice Gaines in the first half. One for 7 yards and one for 4 yards. I like getting him the ball and forcing the defense to float his way. But where he gets the ball should change. Never as a north south runner. Get him the ball on some drags and underneath routes that Gurley runs.

Our best chance at a super bowl is to have Quinn find his former self like he sometimes did this game and to have Reynolds emerge as a rookie sensation to replace Watkins. Yea shoot me. Watkins is so inconsistent it drives me bananas.

Wades system and zone coverage completely shut down Brees. Until we went prevent Brees was nothing.

Kamira is Tavon in the open field with tackle breaking ability of Gurley. The difference is the minute you hit Tavon he goes down. Kamira breaks the tackle and keeps doing the jackrabbit flash stuff.

Mcvay is trusting Goff more, now that Goff is showing he can be trusted in critical situations. I see our passing game getting more emphasized moving forward, that is good considering our two main opponents (Philly and Minnesota) are run stuffers and need to be beat via the air.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
A few thoughts after rewatching the first half:

Kupps drop on third down with 12:44’to go in the second quarter (which ticked me off more than you know) was a great play by the defender. The defender arrived early and smacked Kupp across The helmet and face mask. Watch it it in slow mo. It caused Kupp to lose track of the ball just before it reached his hands. The ref could have called pass interference but because it was just before the catch it didn’t get called. I’m not blaming Kupp for that one.

Watkins drop on 3rd down was right on his hands.

If I am Goff I am thinking come on guys catch the dam ball. Third down drives lose football games.

Tavon actually had some key nice Gaines in the first half. One for 7 yards and one for 4 yards. I like getting him the ball and forcing the defense to float his way. But where he gets the ball should change. Never as a north south runner. Get him the ball on some drags and underneath routes that Gurley runs.

Our best chance at a super bowl is to have Quinn find his former self like he sometimes did this game and to have Reynolds emerge as a rookie sensation to replace Watkins. Yea shoot me. Watkins is so inconsistent it drives me bananas.

Wades system and zone coverage completely shut down Brees. Until we went prevent Brees was nothing.

Kamira is Tavon in the open field with tackle breaking ability of Gurley. The difference is the minute you hit Tavon he goes down. Kamira breaks the tackle and keeps doing the jackrabbit flash stuff.

Mcvay is trusting Goff more, now that Goff is showing he can be trusted in critical situations. I see our passing game getting more emphasized moving forward, that is good considering our two main opponents (Philly and Minnesota) are run stuffers and need to be beat via the air.

Agree with everything except the replace Watkins part. Watkins is the same young age as Kupp at 24, and while he has more experience, i'd like to see him learn under our WR coaches rather than move on to a competing team where he excels and comes back to haunt us. I'm loving our WR depth and would like to maintain that advantage moving forward. jmo.

TexasRam

Legend
Agree with everything except the replace Watkins part. Watkins is the same young age as Kupp at 24, and while he has more experience, i'd like to see him learn under our WR coaches rather than move on to a competing team where he excels and comes back to haunt us. I'm loving our WR depth and would like to maintain that advantage moving forward. jmo.

I’m all for developing him but I really think he lacks the instincts and competitive nature it takes. I think he makes some nice plays but if you can upgrade that position Your offense gets to the next level and goes toe to toe with Philly.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’m all for developing him but I really think he lacks the instincts and competitive nature it takes. I think he makes some nice plays but if you can upgrade that position Your offense gets to the next level and goes toe to toe with Philly.

The Rams have gone over a decade without a true #1 WR, ... they are expensive and very hard to come by. Now that we may have one, i'd rather see what we can do with him rather than start the process over by spending more draft picks at this position than others which may be more pressing. I like what potential Reynolds may bring, but he's still relatively inexperienced and untested. Any team which lets up on Watkins can be easily burned, and he makes every other receiver a bigger threat. I'd pay the guy, work with him, and if he doesn't work out the way we want, he's instant trade bait in a few years time. jmo.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
If my eyes weren't deceiving me, he literally flopped face first while blocking noone at all.
Yeah... imagine if Justin Davis doesn’t see the field again and is later cut...

Davis’ new girlfriend: “Hey honey, at least you made it onto the field for one play in the NFL... can I watch it?”

Davis: “Well....”

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you need medication when discussing Tavon...
Then Tavon wins.

Let it work itself out. You're not infinitely smarter than the coach who sees him everyday. If Austin is actively freaking up plays then he will be phased out. Why work yourself up about it and/or obsess over it? He's on the team, he's trying to contribute and he wants to win. If that's not enough to root for him to achieve success, then you have impossible standards. Personally, and this isn't directed solely at you, I'm getting a little tired of the constant complaining about our players when they don't meet our expectations. We don't root for helmets and decals, after all. Cut these guys some slack. It's not like they're trying to ruin your day or anything. Hope they get better. If they don't, that always rectifies itself in the end.

That.

Isn't necessary.

Two things, X.

First, the blood pressure throwaway line was intended as humor. You know, to take the edge off a little bit? Lighten up, man.

Second, it may be that my 7 Wonderlic comment wasn’t “necessary”. But I do think that it was relevant. Are we that PC even on a board like this that we can’t mention something relevant that is public knowledge?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Nice post.

I also noticed the comment by Goff on how they didn't go after specific guys, that they just ran their offense. Which at first surprised me. But the more I thought about it, the more it's a reflection of a young QB at the helm. At some point he'll develop to where he'll rearrange priorities in his head with his reads based on matchup and be able to do it and be right, resulting in more big plays. But I'm very happy with where he is right now.

Goff has played two big games back to back that are of playoff level, both against legit defenses, and hasn't done what young QBs have a tendency to do in turning the ball over. McVay's praise of him was appropriate.

Re: Tay your 110% correct on, he simply doesn't fit this offense. Cooper deserves his touches.

Also Reynolds has earned all of Woods snaps until he returns, and once he does slide Tay to the bench forever. Woods gets more snaps from the slot while getting Reynolds some more regular touches on the outside. Which looks outstanding from my seat For what it's worth

Reynolds & Walkins on the outside w/ Woods killing it from the slot. Get Everett on the field more please coach

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Two things, X.

First, the blood pressure throwaway line was intended as humor. You know, to take the edge off a little bit? Lighten up, man.

Second, it may be that my 7 Wonderlic comment wasn’t “necessary”. But I do think that it was relevant. Are we that PC even on a board like this that we can’t mention something relevant that is public knowledge?
Well I don't speak for the board, so there's no "we" involved. You can call him Mr 7 Wonderlic if you want. I'm not stopping you. But don't pretend it's not a pejorative. You're calling him stupid. Not as stupid as Frank Gore or Vince Young, but a little more stupid than Dan Marino I guess.

I know he doesn't have a home in this offense right now. Shoot, all of us do. I think everyone is aware of your thoughts on him too, as this isn't your first airing of grievances on the matter ((like the Festivus ref?). All I'm saying is that it isn't necessary to degrade a guy to make a point about lack of production. Personally, I'd rather see Cooper get the reps or start sending Austin down field more as opposed to hoping for a home run from a -1 yard pass. But that's not my call. If none of these Austin plays ever net anything substantial, he won't be around long. I mean he's already played himself off special teams, so it's not like McVay is dogmatic about Austin's role(s).