Semi-Exhaustive 2018 Rams Pre View: Overall, Offense,Defense & S Teams--by Mr. Me

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
2018 Rams

Team Overview:
Being in the same system, the offense should do better than last year (like the 2000 Rams upgraded the 1999 offense)---I think controlling the ball with the mid and short routes, along with Gurley will bring a possession time of around 33-34 minutes this year. I think it is unanimous that Cooks is an upgrade over Watkins in all ways—except for the short TD slants, of which Sammy gave 3 last year. Suh and Donald have the chance to make this ‘the’ year for the Rams. The quickest way to the QB is up the middle; yes, we may not have a great edge rusher, but we also have 4 high quality corners---and because 2 of those corners are exceedingly intelligent we will blitz a lot.

I expect NFC championship at least, and really a Super Bowl appearance….but, I expected that in 1978 and 2000, too. I am not sure the Rams exceed 11-5, though 13-3 could happen, too. The NFC is loaded like never before in the 45 yearas I watched. In 1980 the Eagles, Falcons, Rams, Dallas were neck and neck the whole season. I still think none of them was better than the other. However, in the playoffs, the Rams have the advantage with their interior pass rush, great corners and control offense than might look like the 1983 Redskins---a great mix of run game, excellent short pass game, and an O line that keeps Goff clean. Teams like the Panthers went to 15-1 because their QB got hot, and they put it together---so, anything can happen to upset the Rams 'all time' anticipated season.

Offense:
McVay, I believe, will use the offense to control other teams. Goff is so accurate in the short, and the O line pass blocks well, so Goff if we need to pass only, we still can control games; Teams will fear Gurley, but it is McVay who knows how to use him. I expect Gurley will have increased routes, and will line up wide quite a few times. Goff also isn’t at risk like other pocket passers because he clearly knows he has to get rid of the ball---I can’t think of a Ram QB, ever, who took less hits than him. I do wonder if Kupp will be that much better; except for the drops, I wonder what else he can do better in 2018.
Jamon Brown missing time is huge for me; Blythe may fill in decently, but Brown is superior in the run game, and knew how to work with his teammates. Having Noteboom off the bench is very important---as Chris Long’s sack over D Williams cost us the Eagles game last year.

By mid-season I am hoping that John Kelly becomes the next Delpino (1988-1991, kids). He is tough, and makes yards where there aren’t any (maybe better than Gurley), and is good in the passing game. He may not be pass pro ready yet.

At Everett may be a bit of a disappointment, but we can all agree that Woods, Cook and Cooper will keep all coaches occupied---and then you slip Everett in there 2-3 times a game, and he could have some big plays for us (like Redskins game).

The Rams offense is sooo consistent, in part due to the collective intelligence of the players, so I expect very similar, if not better results from all the players (except Whit and Sully)---however, the person who can make the biggest upgrade from his 2017 season is Higbee. Higbee is a good enough blocker, and Mundt and Everett aren’t….so, if he goes down, that will change the entire offense. Similar to the Eagle defense used in 1988-1989, where 5 LBs were used, the offense might be forced to become better if Higbee goes down; but, I would not like to see that change.

Someone said if Gurley goes down we are ‘over’. No way, we can still roll—Goff is the centerpiece because of his intelligence and accuracy. He will be a lot better this year, but with a little slippage in the O line, and we might not notice a huge statistical difference. If you re-watch 2017, I would say every game about 6-8 pass attempts were ‘lost’ for various mental reasons---that won’t happen this year. Goff was a 62% last year because of these ‘lost’ plays—I expect 68-73% this year. I do expect that Cooks and him will hook up for 4-5 long TDs (40+ yards) this year.

Defense
Wade is all about stopping the pass (look at his historical record). Marcus Peters is a top 1-3 corner in most peoples eyes. Suh, because of playing alongside AD and Brockers, becomes a top 3-5 DT as a pass rusher. AD is a #1 DT; the potentiation effect that could happen between those 3 players is what I think gives us the upper hand against the Eagles, Falcons and Vikings and Saints offenses. What team in NFL history has 2 pro bowl pass rushing DTs? Other teams had 2 pro bowlers, but one was primarily a run stopper.

The Eagles, because of Wentz, who is this generation’s Elway, are a wild card against the Rams offens, and so we can’t know until the games are played---but the the offenses of the rest of the NFC shouldn’t bother the Rams at all. The eagles don’t have great WRs, so I figure the Rams will do quite well against a healthy Wentz.

The D line will be the 1 rated D line against the run by PFF (they were #3, I believe, in 2016---yes, I know it was a 4-3). Aso: Suh is the NT, but I suspect he will rotate to different positions along the line, and be the DT, not NT, on passing downs. And, I wonder if Brockers sometimes goes to NT….just thinking…

The D line makes the OLBs go from 6/10 to 8/10 automatically. When Obo comes back, maybe he will get some nice sacks like Kevin Greene did late in his rookie year (1985 against Dallas in the playoffs). Lawler and Ebukam will get some sacks against TEs and RBs for sure---the mystery is the ROLB. But, with corners like we have, and 2 all-pro DTs everybody gets better.

ILB: No way Corey Littelton holds up as a full time 16 game ILB….look at his build. He is a very good player for Wade’s system. As long as he and Barron are around for the playoffs, I have full believe the Rams will be a top 2-5 team against the pass---like Wade’s Denver teams.

I don’t believe Talib is so great anymore; however, because of confidence, and knowing the system and our pass rush he can still be effective B/B+ player. Peters is a top 5 corners, and our safeties are great in coverage, too. I expect a top 5 at worst pass defense. Our slot man is good+, and Sam Shields still has the legs and the feet at all-pro level.

We have 4 solid corners. We lost to the Redskins and Eagles because of in-game injuries at Corner. It seems like we won’t have that problem this year. Joyner seems to get nicked up, but I like J Johnson backing him up at FS---though I don’t know if that is Wade’s plan. Our back up safeties know the system,and seem to know be able to run well, so maybe we are ok with short term injuries, there, too.

Special Teams:
Greg the leg will probably won’t be a pro bowler this year, but still be one of the best; Hekker may the all decade punter, but P. Cooper will never even be good again. But, the Rams will still be a top 5 special teams this year, anyway.

Conclusion:
The Bears, who looked like a bad taem last year, might be a 9-7 team this year, and AZ with the worst QBs in the league were 8-8 last year. Now they have Mr. Accuracy and Mike Glennon---so, those guys could roll to 10-6 easy with their top 5 D defense. 39ers might win 9+, too. Seattle may take a step back, but division opponents are tough….so, there is not ‘easy out’ in the Rams schedule. In fact, the Raiders look like the only easy team on the schedule, and who knows what will happen on MNF in the hole---with no preseason reps for the offense.

Every team seems to have serious problems in the starting lineup. The only (small) problem the Rams have is at ROLB---and with the synergy of adding 3 pro bowlers, it may not matter so much; so, we hope! Barron and Littleton are not problems. They are great against the pass, and sometimes really good against the run. Now that guards have to worry about Donald and Suh, not so many guards/centers will reach Barron and Littleton this year, anyway.

Goff will have much more command this year; I expect more no-huddle, and more plays that challenge the entire width and length of the field---yes, Brandin Cooks will be huge this year. IF you watch the Pats, Brady gets rid of the ball fast, Goff does not---at least not last year. Goff could do this because the O line was great pass blocking for him.
I expect McVay is tweaking the offense to allow for some deep shots that we wouldn’t have taken last year because Watkins was no Cooks! Watkins only caught 2 long passes the whole year (by my count: SF and NYG games).

Gurley, like Faulk, can control games (Titans game & others).J Kelly, if given the chance by midseason, will not weaken the offense like Malcom Brown did last year---but will take time before Kelly is used significantly.

The only injuries (excepting, Goff) that would deter me from thinking NFCC at a minimum, would be along the O line. Noteboom can fill in for a few games, but it will be easy to take advantage of him in the run game. Blythe ain’t Brown. Saffold and Havenstein are smart, tough and great players for our system—we need them healthy in the playoffs.

What I don't like:
If Brockers goes down, who replaces him? And, the rookie NT behind Suh.....hmmmm. No injuries on the D line, please.

Around the NFC:
There are just toooo many good teams this year: Falcons, Eagles, Vikings, Saints, Panthers, maybe NYG and Cards get a lot better....I mean, every week will still be tough. But, AD and Suh are smart,tough, great and hard working dudes. They will destroy some O lines this year--Falcons and Vikings I don't think will hold up against them. Eagles and Saints could hold up, but their WRs strike ZERO fear into Wade's defense. That leaves the Panthers,and the ultimate wild card: Cam. Oh, I expect the Eagles to go 10-6 at best. Look at their schedule. The only thing about them that gives them a chance is that great O line and very good D line. Wentz and the QB position will be below last year.

What did I miss  ?
Oh, Rams to the Superbowl. Honestly, excepting the Patriots, no team that is predicted to go to the super bowl goes to the super bowl very often. So, 10-6 won't surprise---but, that will be because of injuries. If we get healthy, we can beat any team on the road in the playoffs---yes, even the Eagles!

PS In my opinion: this Rams team on paper would wipe out the 2001 Rams. Watch those 2001 games, the interior couldn't do jack against good D lines (see NYGs, Tampa et al). This Ram team is complete.

Ram65

Legend
Good read@SteveBrown

I think controlling the ball with the mid and short routes, along with Gurley will bring a possession time of around 33-34 minutes this year.

That would be great. I don't know if McVay can control himself. He likes to get those long throws and score quickly.

Teams will fear Gurley, but it is McVay who knows how to use him. I expect Gurley will have increased routes, and will line up wide quite a few times.

That's interesting. I'm wondering if the Rams might save Gurley some and give Cooks more looks than Watkins got.

If you re-watch 2017, I would say every game about 6-8 pass attempts were ‘lost’ for various mental reasons---that won’t happen this year. Goff was a 62% last year because of these ‘lost’ plays—I expect 68-73% this year. I do expect that Cooks and him will hook up for 4-5 long TDs (40+ yards) this year.

That's really a high completion %. I don't know if Goff had that many lost pass attempts for various mental reasons per game. He has talked about knowing the offense better and they didn't use it all last year. I agree the pass game will be improved. Look out if Goff gets near 68 %.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good read@SteveBrown

That would be great. I don't know if McVay can control himself. He likes to get those long throws and score quickly.

That's interesting. I'm wondering if the Rams might save Gurley some and give Cooks more looks than Watkins got..

a) I think we will take more long shots, but we will control the ball more this year, too. The defense was on the field too much.

b) Yes, Cooks will get his fair share of long balls; however, when Gurley splits wide, it is usually against a LBer, and if it is a FS, then the Rams can attack elsewhere. IF Gurley is against a LBer---in the 2nd year in the system, I think the rams will test his 4.4 speed.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Hell of a read, thanks for sharing! went good w/ Daddy's special coffee this morning :coffee:

McVay likes to put the metal to the metal, but once were up points wise, then we will unleash the ball control O in the second half of the game.

Ram65

Legend
a) I think we will take more long shots, but we will control the ball more this year, too. The defense was on the field too much.

The defense had trouble stopping offenses. They didn't let up lots of points but, teams ran on them. Rams got turnovers or opponents missed FGs. More three and outs created by the defense will add to TOP. For some reason too often the Rams could not complete drives when getting to opponents 35 yard line and in. They often settled for a FG. If they can keep drives going they will increase TOP alot.

b) Yes, Cooks will get his fair share of long balls; however, when Gurley splits wide, it is usually against a LBer, and if it is a FS, then the Rams can attack elsewhere. IF Gurley is against a LBer---in the 2nd year in the system, I think the rams will test his 4.4 speed.

Interesting and could put lots of pressure on the defense. I'll be looking for that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
On Brockers going down and the concerns & concerns about replacement......the Rams have brought in the DL Calvary for 2018.

#1). A veteran all pro Suh can and has played the MB position. IF NT Suh was moved Wade has a drafted rookie Sebastian Joseph Day to play NT.
#2). Snead drafted a MB clone in #4 rd. Rookie John Franklin Myers who will eventually replace MB.
#3). Rams have former DT Dom Easley back healthy but lighter who is working currently at the ER post just next to MB.
#4).Not sure how we can forget about Brian Westbrooks who is also more than adequate to fill MB's post.

Wade uses a hybrid Nickle that normally uses only two down DT's more than the base three down DLers using OLB on the outside of his four down DL'ers so this also would limit the damage of a loss of a Brockers. Sure appears the Rams have worked hard on insuring what happened in the playoff game does not happen again.

Ref. Cory's size and him remaining in the lineup for a full season at MLB......great insurance in Bryce Hager and now factor in a true Ram MLB in rookie Kiser. Even veteran Ramik Wilson can play this post. I would also expect that 7th rd draft pick inside LB Howard to be signed to the PS.

Last edited:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
What makes you say that?
I don't think he can compare to any pro bowl retruner since 1975....we have the best special teams in the NFL, and he did his job....who cares about P Cooper.....I must be wrong.....the rest of the teamis what interests me.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Steve, totally disagree with you about the Cards..They will be lucky to get 5-6 wins this year, because their Oline is cr@p again. Defense is ok, but I don’t expect Bradford to survive Week 2, and then it’s rookie Rosen getting killed.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I don't think he can compare to any pro bowl retruner since 1975....we have the best special teams in the NFL, and he did his job....who cares about P Cooper.....I must be wrong.....the rest of the teamis what interests me.
If you're just comparing returning ability, he compares favorably to 2015 Darren Sproles by the numbers. There's only going back 2 years.

I was just curious if you think he's a bad returner who got lucky or what. I assume he didn't have a ton of opportunities for kick returns because the defense want giving up scores left and right, but it probably wasn't that low either.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If you're just comparing returning ability, he compares favorably to 2015 Darren Sproles by the numbers. There's only going back 2 years.

I was just curious if you think he's a bad returner who got lucky or what. I assume he didn't have a ton of opportunities for kick returns because the defense want giving up scores left and right, but it probably wasn't that low either.

If you actually watch the returns, anyone can see that Cooper breaks a lot of tackles himself as well as makes guys miss.

It's not just Cooper running through holes like Cordarelle Patterson did. That guy would just find a hole and blast off.

I don't think Cooper got nearly enough credit. Some of the returns he made, he seemed to make a lot of something out of nothing.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
If you actually watch the returns, anyone can see that Cooper breaks a lot of tackles himself as well as makes guys miss.

It's not just Cooper running through holes like Cordarelle Patterson did. That guy would just find a hole and blast off.

I don't think Cooper got nearly enough credit. Some of the returns he made, he seemed to make a lot of something out of nothing.
I don't pay much attention to low level peons (special teams) on other teams.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the only talent Patterson ever had was returning punts/kicks.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I don't pay much attention to low level peons (special teams) on other teams.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the only talent Patterson ever had was returning punts/kicks.

Well, sure, but that's pretty much the same as Dante Hall.

We've had some amazing returners who really made the difference for us including Pharoh Cooper, Tony Horne and Az Hakim (even as he broke all our hearts). if our ST could have blocked properly a few years ago, I'd add Tavon Austin, but most of his best stuff was called back, unfortunately.

I don't consider special teams players to be low level peons. Heck, our special teams being so good has made it that much easier on both our O and D.

Games can be won and lost with special teams. It's incredibly important.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Well, sure, but that's pretty much the same as Dante Hall.

We've had some amazing returners who really made the difference for us including Pharoh Cooper, Tony Horne and Az Hakim (even as he broke all our hearts). if our ST could have blocked properly a few years ago, I'd add Tavon Austin, but most of his best stuff was called back, unfortunately.

I don't consider special teams players to be low level peons. Heck, our special teams being so good has made it that much easier on both our O and D.

Games can be won and lost with special teams. It's incredibly important.
They are incredibly important. Most of them, outside of stars, are guys you're just hoping don't screw up. Backups and what not. The not-backups are also not peons. Perform at league average and everyone forgets you. And that's ok on special teams.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
They are incredibly important. Most of them, outside of stars, are guys you're just hoping don't screw up. Backups and what not. The not-backups are also not peons. Perform at league average and everyone forgets you. And that's ok on special teams.

Well, sure. And couple that with the kickoff being where most concussions occur and you have the perfect recipe for eliminating that play.

My only response is that there are returners who simply make for the hole, cut and go and there are returners who create.

Cooper was the latter. He didn't become an All Pro because the field was weak, he did it by being excellent at his job.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

Sproles was a great returner....I am not looking at numbers, I am looking at film. He is a mediocre returner playing on the bes best special teams in the NFL. Kinda like Kim Herring at Safety for the 2001 Rams

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Sproles was a great returner....I am not looking at numbers, I am looking at film. He is a mediocre returner playing on the bes best special teams in the NFL. Kinda like Kim Herring at Safety for the 2001 Rams
You should respond to @Mackeyser instead of me. That discussion is going to be good!

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Great write-up, Steve B! Entertaining and insightful. I appreciate your writing skill (but watch out for typos)! Outrageously cute pic in the avatar.

Delpino was one of my all-time favorites.

Only quibble is the comment re. Pharoh. Yes, he’s got a weird bow-legged running style, and he doesn’t have that ‘wow’ factor like Tavon (who could make a crazy, winding return that nets only 2 yards wildly entertaining, and too often did). Below is a link to Pharoh’s top 10 returns of 2017... I dare you to watch it and still say you don’t see his talent!

Cheers though for a fun post.
View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2017-elite-performers/0ap3000000926232/Top-10-Pharoh-Cooper-returns-2017-season