Secret to Drafting OL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting article. Schwartz is always good for learning new things.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love reading or listening to this man talk.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great post....young Geoff Schwartz....great guy....great parents. He played basketball with my nephew...Quit the team when the coach couldn't find out how to get him the ball. I blame my nephew.....anyhoots...I saw his little brother Mitchel too. Pretty good athletes. Coordinated for very large kids. I think he found his calling with writing. I like him as much as that ex Ram safety....used to write for BR too...Matt Bowen.

There is no secret....It's just knowing the individuals...I kinda figured Mitchel would be greater than Geoff....and Geoff had more talent...Mitchel was quieter...seemed to go with the flow...and KNEW right away he didn't wanna play basketball...

It seems the pro game requires a certain mental makeup....that just defines hard workers...not guys satisfied...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Interesting & good reAd. Makes real good points.

I thin big Rob does the same thing. He has a lot of confidence in himself as a player, but is eating a little humble pie by playing RG. He will also have to know LG as well as a RT. Even a touch of what is going on at LT. He said thank god ,not playing center. He looks really good coming into 2017.
Greg Robinson has struggled , but has worked hard on his foot work , especially the kick out . He also gets down on his stance more from when he came into The NFL. He tends to stand straight up at time, & losses Technique . His hand placement seems to be off as well. Whitmore should be able to help him with this as well. He gets away with it.
I'm sure Greg Robinson will get time at LT in preseason as well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It is a must read, and another example of the CBA, and how it hurts some college players. College football hurts college players becoming pros, in a lot of cases.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Great article but honestly if i was a gm I would never draft an OL in the first round. Too many chances to take on a player that is never going to make a big play in a game . There are no good offesense without Great lines but finding them in free agency is alot safer bet .

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
At 6'6" and 340 lbs, Geoff Schwartz is a monster and I wouldn't want to argue with him. :) Plus he was very good at his job and should know what he's talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoff_Schwartz

Pro Football Focus wrote:

"Schwartz has played as well as any guard not named Evan Mathis on a per-snap basis the last two years.... has an overall grade of +24.1 in 792 snaps (full season is typically 1000+ snaps) since he missed the whole 2011 season with a hip injury.

While he had a superb year in pass protection with a pass blocking efficiency of 97.3 (ranked 11th), Schwartz’ calling card is his run blocking. He has elite power at the point of attack, but he also rarely gets beat cleanly. He had the sixth-lowest percentage of run snaps that took a downgrade among all guards."

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Good read, my video was not great so I could not see some of the examples.

I agree with the idea that the CBA has hurt a lot of players, there just aren't enough reps to train someone when you're spending all your time getting the 1st team guys ready to play.

Zack Banner, Pat Elflien, Erik Magnuson

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Excellent read, would be nice of CBA can renegotiate terms of practice at least for linemen. A lot of issues on O-line have been apparent throughout many teams because of the lack of time invested to properly coach them, and a lot of that involves posture and communication between the ears.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Good read but I wish he would of given us his opinion on some of the OL players in this upcoming draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would one summarized that GM's should be looking for very smart & quick learners when drafting OL'ers instead of those great raw potentials, or a only two-year starter & a third-year sophomore gifted athletic young man?

With a 4 yr contract these raw OL'ers is just figuring out how to play the game when UFA hits & he departs for big money leaving his drafting team with 4 sorry seasons of past play & out a great amount of cap $$..

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Great article. And tbh Robinson is not the only player you could say the Rams over-focused on raw ability vice technique and experience. Brian Quick comes to mind there.

Robinson did try to help himself by seeking offseason help last year, but when I read that this staff wants all the OL to know everyone's responsibility on every play it makes me think he's going to suffer badly. GRob is not a cerebral guy, so I think that type of approach is going to make it tough on him vice guys like Havenstein and Brown.

Havenstein is smart and a hard worker who should excel in that kind of approach. Brown same deal, and he already had a history of moving around on his line in college with effectiveness in different spots. IMO Brown might end up being the kind of player we hoped GRob would be, albeit not at LT.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I would never draft an OL in the first round.
Too many chances to take on a player that is never going to make a big play in a game .

Offensive lineman make a lot of big plays that win games.

A LOT!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Great article. And tbh Robinson is not the only player you could say the Rams over-focused on raw ability vice technique and experience. Brian Quick comes to mind there.

Robinson did try to help himself by seeking offseason help last year, but when I read that this staff wants all the OL to know everyone's responsibility on every play it makes me think he's going to suffer badly. GRob is not a cerebral guy, so I think that type of approach is going to make it tough on him vice guys like Havenstein and Brown.

Havenstein is smart and a hard worker who should excel in that kind of approach. Brown same deal, and he already had a history of moving around on his line in college with effectiveness in different spots. IMO Brown might end up being the kind of player we hoped GRob would be, albeit not at LT.
Just another thread convincing me that I have been on target on my nice positive :heh:posts on Grob the last few months.You may have forgot about one of the smartest Ram OL'ers Andrew Donnal;). Andrew has started @ 3 different posts & played a good part in another.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Maybe Kromer will be more capable of teaching it to G-Rob than Boudreau. We shall see.

Ram65

Legend
Very interesting. Lot's of good and common sense thinking.

From the article.

"That’s why you often see college programs with pro style offenses — Iowa, Wisconsin, USC, Notre Dame, and Ohio State — produce excellent NFL offensive lineman. Linemen from these systems have taken so many reps out the three-point stance that they only need to adjust to the speed and strength of NFL defensive lineman."

Donnal-Iowa
Havenstein-Wisconsin

Let's hope this is their year.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Maybe Kromer will be more capable of teaching it to G-Rob than Boudreau. We shall see.
If Robinson is unaware that it is now or never.... it wouldn't surprise me a bit. :D

Either way I'm done with the guy, I take him or leave him.