Sebastian Joseph-Day Has Got The Fire!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
https://www.therams.com/news/sebastian-joseph-day-embracing-his-opportunity
Friday, May 31, 2019 10:40 AM
After receiving veteran mentoring in 2018, Sebastian Joseph-Day embracing his opportunity
yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons
RAMS INSIDER

There’s an opportunity on the defense for second-year lineman Sebastian Joseph-Day.

Los Angeles selected him in the sixth round of last year’s NFL Draft, and while he was on the 53-man roster for the entire year, Joseph-Day was inactive for every game.

The young lineman understood why — as a nose tackle, he was behind five-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro Ndamukong Suh, who played a whopping 88 percent of the Rams’ defensive snaps in 2018.

But there was a fire in Joseph-Day that didn’t go out. He wanted to be on that field.

“I don’t think you understand how much that hurt,” Joseph-Day told therams.com this week. “But honestly, though, everything happens for a reason. Obviously we had great players here — at the end of the day, it’s Suh, you know what I mean? So all I had to do was really just take that time, and study that film, and ask Suh questions.”

And according to Joseph-Day, Suh was more than receptive to helping out the young lineman.

“I was able to, after every series, come and watch the Surface with Suh, and really break down what he saw, go over the plays. Really just tap into his mind,” Joseph-Day said. “And shoutout to him for being such a good guy, and being that guy for me — taking me under his wing and teach me a lot of the stuff he saw through his eyes.”

Taking time to mentor the next generation isn’t necessarily something that necessarily meshes with Suh’s general reputation around the league — a fact that Joseph-Day recognizes.

“I mean, yeah, people would be surprised. But Suh’s a good guy. I mean, he’s a good guy to me at least. He was real cool with me, man,” Joseph-Day said. “And shoutout to him, and congratulations to him going to Tampa Bay — awesome, man. I’m happy for him, happy to see that.”

Throughout last year, Joseph-Day says, he’d take what he learned from Suh and apply it to what he saw during his own extensive film study.

“I’d watch AD, and I’d watch Suh, and I’d watch others and I’d write down moves,” Joseph-Day said. “Because even though everybody thinks it’s so physical, honestly playing D-line is a lot mental, too. Seeing the moves, seeing things that people do — that’s how you learn, that’s how you pick up things.”

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-31_21-49-17.gif
    upload_2019-5-31_21-49-17.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 62

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Mark it down, Sebastian Joseph-Day will be the starter at Nose Tackle come September Morn with Greg Gains coming off the bench. Joseph-Day has a bigger base whereas Gaines is more top heavy and all of us know at nausea, it's all about the base!

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Embedded in the link at 5:15 they talk about Rapp-Gaines and Joseph-Day.

It's by far not a forgone conclusion that Gaines takes over the NT position at least not completely. Miles and Farr talk a little about the competition they see at NT. S J-D can't be over looked. The reason he has become my camp guy to watch is Farr talking about him before (working out in the off season) and now. The article confirms his passion and desire to play. Looking forward to great competition and depth one way or the other.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Embedded in the link at 5:15 they talk about Rapp-Gaines and Joseph-Day.

It's by far not a forgone conclusion that Gaines takes over the NT position at least not completely. Miles and Farr talk a little about the competition they see at NT. S J-D can't be over looked. The reason he has become my camp guy to watch is Farr talking about him before (working out in the off season) and now. The article confirms his passion and desire to play. Looking forward to great competition and depth one way or the other.

Huh. Competition instead of just handing the job to somebody untested? What a novel idea.

dang

Legend
Mark it down, Sebastian Joseph-Day will be the starter at Nose Tackle come September Morn with Greg Gains coming off the bench. Joseph-Day has a bigger base whereas Gaines is more top heavy and all of us know at nausea, it's all about the base!
Physical size and physicality are big for NTs but the motor, discipline and technique (although somewhat limited at NT) also come into play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I liked Demarco's comments recently on SJD, re: his hunger to get on the field and play. And it's cool he's worked his @$$ off to get ready for the season and compete at NT.

But my money's still on Gaines to start. Talent and measurables are gonna take a back seat to country strong.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Physical size and physicality are big for NTs but the motor, discipline and technique (although somewhat limited at NT) also come into play.

Excellent points and Gaines does excel in those areas, but just got a feeling about SJD!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have no dog in this hunt myself. I believe we will see both of them being rotated in & out OFTEN to keep both of them fresh & active. Is there a problem with this?

Even though SJD has yet to see the field in the regular season ..he has gone through a complete full year from start to finish with the Rams defense. It's sure to give him a foot up on Rookie Greg Gaines. I think both will be effective when on the field in the regular season.

I also feel Wade will continue to go without using either of these two NT's when he goes with his pass rushing four DL'ers in passing situations. Where he will use two OLB'ers (Matthews/ Fowler/ Okoronwko/ Young) & two non-NT type DL'ers (Fox/ Franklin/ Donald/ Brockers).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no dog in this hunt myself. I believe we will see both of them being rotated in & out OFTEN to keep both of them fresh & active. Is there a problem with this?

Even though SJD has yet to see the field in the regular season ..he has gone through a complete full year from start to finish with the Rams defense. It's sure to give him a foot up on Rookie Greg Gaines. I think both will be effective when on the field in the regular season.

I also feel Wade will continue to go without using either of these two NT's when he goes with his pass rushing four DL'ers in passing situations. Where he will use two OLB'ers (Matthews/ Fowler/ Okoronwko/ Young) & two non-NT type DL'ers (Fox/ Franklin/ Donald/ Brockers).

That's the only correct answer.

upload_2019-6-1_9-27-9.png

We've seen for two years now that Wade prefers to rotate his DLine even AD doesn't play every snap and we all know what shape he's in.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg

Gaines was double teamed in college and still dominated his conference but he is in the unique position to be playing next to the greatest DT of all time. (Yeah thats right. Get back to me in a decade about that). So instead of the usual double teams that follow into the NFL, he will be one on one pretty much every play which should make his rush defense even more productive than it was in college.

When I watch him play I see results, plain and simple, and I think his talent will transition to this defense very well.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
When I watch him play I see results, plain and simple, and I think his talent will transition to this defense very well.

FWIW and I like Gaines very much, he also spent quite a bit of time on his back IMO, now again, I feel great about him, but I like NT's that have a large base to keep them grounded, but having a player like S-J-D., and Gaines should give the Rams an excellent rotation at that position.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
FWIW and I like Gaines very much, he also spent quite a bit of time on his back IMO, now again, I feel great about him, but I like NT's that have a large base to keep them grounded, but having a player like S-J-D., and Gaines should give the Rams an excellent rotation at that position.

The sports world is littered with physical freak specimens, not that Day is that, who for some reason didn't parlay that into results. Yeah a good base is preferable but you have to be able to do something with it.

I dont know how Day was schemed for in college but I'm guessing he did t have the consideration of offensive coordinators that Gaines demanded.

Like Donald, gaines produced at a high level in college and stood out against the top talent at the senior bowl. Also like Donald, his production took a back seat to some physical measurables.

I like Day and I hope he breaks out this year but as of now I see Gaines' talent and situation resulting in a mentionable defensive rookie of the year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SJD didn’t play last year though so he must suck right? Right? :sneaky:

haha. Nobody is suggesting that he is the default starter, fortunately. That would be foolish.

Psycho_X

Legend
After looking at some recent pics of SJD you can tell he's definitely put in the work this offseason. Shed off a few of those rookie pounds for muscle. I don't know who'll start between him and Gaines but they both look capable and that's a great problem to have considering two months ago we weren't sure we had any capable.

oldnotdead

Legend
I hope SJD plays well. BUT the Rams (i.e. Snead, McVay & Phillips) had a whole year to look at him. What did they do? They drafted someone to start in front of him. The Rams front office and coaches have done an excellent job evaluating talent. For whatever reason they felt they needed a starter other than SJD. You can tell by the comments made by the aforementioned that Gaines was their targeted NT. Having watched Gaines for years I can say they got a good one.

So my faith is on the coaches and the FO. They didn't draft a backup to play behind SJD, they drafted someone to start in front of him. I'm sure SJD will see plenty of snaps in rotation. Phillips loves to rotate his starters frequently to keep them as fresh as possible. I think this team now has the talent and depth to be a perennial contender.

But it's more than just NT that SJD could see snaps. They also need depth behind Donald and next year I doubt Brockers is on this team. I think the defensive front 7 won't really be set until next year.