Sean Witherspoon tore ACL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
2. There already was a decent chance the Falcons' defense was going to be crummy this season. Prospects grew dimmer after the team announced linebacker Sean Weatherspoon tore his Achilles tendon at practice Tuesday. Weatherspoon is snakebit, and the Falcons are scrambling.

Hat to hear this :(
I like Spoon... wish him a speedy recovery but I don't know if he'll have a chance next season...

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
That's bad news. I think I read someplace that a torn achilles is one of the worst injuries you can get. Over a year recovery and rehab on bad ones.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's bad news. I think I read someplace that a torn achilles is one of the worst injuries you can get. Over a year recovery and rehab on bad ones.
Yep they are pretty bad to get over. GLad Sam and Jake has been ale to recoup so far...

Psycho_X

Legend
Wow, that's awful for them. Hate to see that kind of injury let alone during OTAs. Worst part of being a football fan is sweating out OTAs and training camp praying to any god that'll listen to not take down anyone on your team with injury.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bad Bad news for the Falcons....their excellent team was seriously damaged last yr due to injuries. Sean Weatherspoon was hurt in our game with them along with their OLT Sam Baker. The depth behind these players was not good. I really like Weatherspoon a bunch he can play any of thier LB'er positions he is a hitter tough and mean.....I sure hope he able to return to former form.

Just goes on to prove the entire 53 player roster is important not just starters that most pay attention too. I'm not normally all in for all these new changes to the NFL but I would be an advocate of an expanded 53 player roster to 55 and an expanded practice squad number 8 to 10 but the number of players dressed for the game the same. This small change would help a little to limit the team injury damage.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yikes. This is why Sam should be making nothing but appearances at OTA. Hate to see this stuff.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I thought last year with their All World TE playing his last year and reaching for our former star RB that they pretty well thought their "window" might be closing ,I think they really did the smartest thing in the draft by taking Jake Matthews and Hageman was a solid second round pick and Southward wasn't shabby in the third.

If their o-line hangs together I think they COULD save Smith's job, but they are gonna need to lean heavy on their rookies,Blank is a good owner I think he sees they did the right things but ya know Smith does some bone headed shit in games once in a while and owners get impatient,if they don't make the playoffs ,and I don't think they will,I think Smith is on a very short leash. JMO no interest one way or tuther

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO Mike Smith will be fired this year as Head Coach and look for the Falcons to persue Stanford Head Coach David Shaw or Notre Dame Head Coach Brian Kelly. It's a copy cat league and College Head Football Coaches are now vogue with the success of Carroll, Harbaugh and Chip Kelly.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The Falcons d wasn't that strong to begin with.
Tough break for the ATL.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
IMO Mike Smith will be fired this year as Head Coach and look for the Falcons to persue Stanford Head Coach David Shaw or Notre Dame Head Coach Brian Kelly. It's a copy cat league and College Head Football Coaches are now vogue with the success of Carroll, Harbaugh and Chip Kelly.
Yeah making the playoffs may not save him, think he's gotta win at least one playoff game.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Who's a bigger loss for their defense?

Weatherspoon or Washington?

Dang it'd hurt to be a Falcon fan right now. They've fallen so hard from grace.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Not trying to be a d*ck, but was it his Achilles or his ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament)? The post heading indicated ACL so I was confused. Either way, I wouldn't wish either injury on anyone.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Not trying to be a d*ck, but was it his Achilles or his ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament)? The post heading indicated ACL so I was confused. Either way, I wouldn't wish either injury on anyone.
Good on you ,I didn't catch that

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah making the playoffs may not save him, think he's gotta win at least one playoff game.

And he's a defensive coach so if that defense does not turn it around, that is why I believe he'll be in trouble. Now with a healthy Jones that should help, but unless Smith and DC Mike Nolan do not turn things around I don't know if they are better than New Orleans or Carolina and Tampa Bay under Lovie Smith will be better too.