Sean McVay teases three-RB sets, says Gurley and both backups will play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_11305676.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 4 hours ago

Sean McVay knows fantasy owners everywhere are looking for any and all information when it comes to Todd Gurley’s workload this season. He made that very clear during his press conference Monday – in his usual fun-loving manner, of course.
“You got a fantasy squad or something?” McVay quipped, joking with a reporter who asked about the Rams’ running backs.

McVay and the Rams have played it very close to the vest this offseason when it comes to Gurley and how he’ll be used. General manager Les Snead made it seem like the team would reduce his carries in 2019, while McVay has said he’ll use Gurley like normal until he’s told otherwise.
There have been very few hints about how the Rams will utilize their three-player backfield or how much Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson Jr. will be utilized. McVay is confidence in both backups but didn’t give much clarity on who will be the first guy off the bench.
“Todd Gurley is feeling good, he’s our starting back. He’s been one of the best all-purpose backs, based on his production and what he’s done for us over the last couple of years,” McVay said. “We’ve got two guys in Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson Jr. that we feel really confident about, being able to spell him. But what we do as far as activating different personnel groups and things like that – those are things that we will see on Sunday.”
He did, however, say that all three of them will play, and hinted at deploying some three-back sets.
“Oh yeah. Absolutely,” he said of whether they’ll all play. “Maybe three at a time.”

It’s hard to imagine McVay putting all three running backs on the field at the same time, just based on his history. Last season, the Rams ran a total of five plays with more than one running back on the field. That was by far the lowest total in the league.

However, Henderson’s skill set adds a different element. He lined up at wide receiver several times in the preseason, which is something Gurley has done a lot of in the last two years, too. You could possibly see Gurley and Henderson split out wide with Brown as the tailback, putting defenses in a bind and leaving them to wonder what type of play is coming.

Of course, McVay could’ve just been playing it coy and misleading everyone by throwing that idea out there, but the Rams have the running backs available to use some interesting personnel groupings.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay isn't going to hold Gurley back the first game, he'll want every upcoming opponent to know there's nothing wrong with Gurley.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
McVay isn't going to hold Gurley back the first game, he'll want every upcoming opponent to know there's nothing wrong with Gurley.

True, but I hope he can get Henderson and Brown involved. I'd love to see Henderson make a big play just to make opposing DC's sweat a little bit more about the Rams offense in addition to the myriad of things they already have to worry about.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
usatsi_11305676.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 4 hours ago

Sean McVay knows fantasy owners everywhere are looking for any and all information when it comes to Todd Gurley’s workload this season. He made that very clear during his press conference Monday – in his usual fun-loving manner, of course.
“You got a fantasy squad or something?” McVay quipped, joking with a reporter who asked about the Rams’ running backs.

McVay and the Rams have played it very close to the vest this offseason when it comes to Gurley and how he’ll be used. General manager Les Snead made it seem like the team would reduce his carries in 2019, while McVay has said he’ll use Gurley like normal until he’s told otherwise.
There have been very few hints about how the Rams will utilize their three-player backfield or how much Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson Jr. will be utilized. McVay is confidence in both backups but didn’t give much clarity on who will be the first guy off the bench.
“Todd Gurley is feeling good, he’s our starting back. He’s been one of the best all-purpose backs, based on his production and what he’s done for us over the last couple of years,” McVay said. “We’ve got two guys in Malcolm Brown and Darrell Henderson Jr. that we feel really confident about, being able to spell him. But what we do as far as activating different personnel groups and things like that – those are things that we will see on Sunday.”
He did, however, say that all three of them will play, and hinted at deploying some three-back sets.
“Oh yeah. Absolutely,” he said of whether they’ll all play. “Maybe three at a time.”

It’s hard to imagine McVay putting all three running backs on the field at the same time, just based on his history. Last season, the Rams ran a total of five plays with more than one running back on the field. That was by far the lowest total in the league.

However, Henderson’s skill set adds a different element. He lined up at wide receiver several times in the preseason, which is something Gurley has done a lot of in the last two years, too. You could possibly see Gurley and Henderson split out wide with Brown as the tailback, putting defenses in a bind and leaving them to wonder what type of play is coming.

Of course, McVay could’ve just been playing it coy and misleading everyone by throwing that idea out there, but the Rams have the running backs available to use some interesting personnel groupings.

I can't wait to see defenses freak about McVay's creative play calling. Three backs at one time will make me smile! lol

Big Game

Living The Dream
I can't wait to see defenses freak about McVay's creative play calling. Three backs at one time will make me smile! lol

Deep down i would love to see him put a three back set out and watch other defensive coordinators freak out:cool::D:D:D

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Wouldn't be surprised to see 21 (2RB, 1TE, 2WR) and 22 (2RB, 2TE, 1WR) personnel sets early in the season. As lethal as our 13 personnel is with Kupp back, I would much rather see a dynamic offense that keeps defenses honest.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really like how McVay thinks. Especially when you realize that Henderson could play dual roles as RB/WR and could be used as such in a “3 RB” set. The multitude of options should be pretty intimidating to opposing DCs.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

In the same sense he's going to want everyone worried about. . . Shoot I was just going to point out the other Rbs but let's see. . .

Malcolm Brown. He doesn't quite have the break away capability of Gurley but he does offer ability in every phase of the offense - I remember his catching ability being something that was a positive when he came out - somewhere in Texas. He also offers a strong presence on special teams. To me if you've been working and thriving with Coach Bones then you've been developing into a legitimate NFL player.

Darryl Henderson. What's not to say. Just a few times of him ripping of field position changing plays will have defenses sweating.

I have no doubts that Sean will have all three of these guys on the field together.

I also think we'll see an increasing usage of Reynolds, Everett, possibly Michael Thomas and Nsimba Webster.

Can you imagine studying game film all week on Cooks, Woods, and Kupp. Then all of a sudden the guy in front of you is Michael Thomas or Josh Reynolds or Nsimba Webster or Everett or one those running backs.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't be surprised to see 21 (2RB, 1TE, 2WR) and 22 (2RB, 2TE, 1WR) personnel sets early in the season. As lethal as our 13 personnel is with Kupp back, I would much rather see a dynamic offense that keeps defenses honest.
I think a lot depends on how the offensive line matches up. But Higbee catches the ball well enough that 12 can work well against a team with strong edge rushing. Depending on the pass blocking and how the interior holds up 21 could be a solution and early in games. Either way, I hope to see something other than 11 well practiced and executed should the need arise.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I reckon they're gonna keep doing what they do best, and that's the 11 personnel.

Keep the other formations in your pocket when you need them if a team is cramping your style. Something I thought mcvay was gonna do in the superbowl. Alas...

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"the Rams ran a total of five plays with more than one running back on the field. That was by far the lowest total in the league."

Thats astonishing. Did that sort of predictability lead to our eventual demise?

Either way...it would be nice to see some more 2 RB sets from McVay.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Whatever works. 11 personel, they know its coming but can't stop it, so Sean keeps doing it. I love it.

fearsomefour

Legend
Two TE on the line....two backs in the backfield.
TEs split out wide, Gurley goes in motion out wide....all this movement to run a draw to Brown.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I really like how McVay thinks. Especially when you realize that Henderson could play dual roles as RB/WR and could be used as such in a “3 RB” set. The multitude of options should be pretty intimidating to opposing DCs.

I like that idea, but with Gurley split out wide.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect they will throw a few more varied plays in, just to mess with other coaches minds. McVay spent the offseason thinking about his mistakes, and predictability is one of them. I'm not saying there will be a lot of non-3 WR sets, but there will be more of them.