Sean McVay suggests Todd Gurley will have more involvement in Rams offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
11305676.jpg

Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports
fb.png
twitter.png
flipboard_white.png
reddit.png
https://larrybrownsports.com/football/sean-mcvay-todd-gurley-more-involvement-rams-offense/524364

Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports | By Grey Papke | Last updated 11/18/19

Todd Gurley had his best game in months against the Chicago Bears on Sunday night, providing encouragement as the Los Angeles Rams head into the stretch run.
Gurley’s performance — and his apparent health — are good signs, and according to coach Sean McVay, may lead to more touches for the running back going forward.
“I think so,” McVay said when asked if Gurley would have a bigger role moving forward, via Lindsey Thiry of ESPN. “That’s an ideal situation. Anytime you get Todd involved like that, it’s usually always a good thing for our offense.”

Gurley entered Sunday night’s game having failed to get 20 carries in a game all season. The Rams gave him 25, blowing away his previous season-high of 18. Part of his limited usage has been the Rams’ clear concern about the health of his left knee. So far, it appears to be holding up successfully.

The Rams may have gone easy on Gurley in terms of workload early in the season so he’d be fresh and able to take on a bigger role for a playoff run. If that was the plan, it seems to be working out well so far.

My only concern is that McVay's 'epiphany' may have come a few games too late ...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NFC playoff picture: Rams gain ground on Seahawks, remain behind Vikings

gettyimages-1188317919.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

6 hours ago

The Rams got back on track Sunday night, beating the Chicago Bears 17-7at home. The win moved their record to 6-4 and kept their playoff hopes alive, though they still remain out of the postseason picture at the moment.
It was a much-needed win considering the Vikings beat the Broncos and improved to 8-3, while the Seahawks were off in Week 11. A loss would’ve put the Rams 2.5 games behind Minnesota for a wild-card spot, which would’ve been disastrous.

Here’s how the NFC playoff picture looks right now after 11 weeks.
  1. West: 49ers (9-1)
  2. North: Packers (8-2)
  3. South: Saints (8-2)
  4. East: Cowboys (6-4)
  5. Wild card: Seahawks (8-2)
  6. Wild card: Vikings (8-3)
In the hunt
Rams (6-4)
Eagles (5-5)
Panthers (5-5)
The Rams nearly got a lot of help on Sunday, in addition to picking up a half-game on the idle Seahawks.
The Broncos blew a 20-point lead against the Vikings, and the Cardinals were outscored 19-7 in the fourth quarter to lose 36-26 to the 49ers. Had the Broncos and Cardinals pulled off those upsets, it would’ve helped the Rams immensely in the NFC playoff race.
But, they took care of their own business, which is most important. It’s possible the Rams will need to win out to make the playoffs, though it’s unlikely that’ll be the requirement. The 49ers have a daunting schedule coming up against the Packers, Ravens and Saints in the next three weeks, while Minnesota has to face the Seahawks, Chargers and Packers before the season ends.
The Rams will need to finish at least 10-6 to have a chance, which means they have to finish 4-2 in the last six weeks.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams will need to finish at least 10-6 to have a chance, which means they have to finish 4-2 in the last six weeks.

i don't believe that for a second. the rams have already lost 3 games to nfc teams. they need to go at least 5 and 1 for the remainder of the regular season to assure themselves a place in the playoffs.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
About time McVay shit-canned his "touch count" for Gurley. Gurley 20+ touches is what got the Rams to the Super-Bowl, and his stupid "touch count" is what got them to almost missing the playoffs this season. About time he realized that.

Using Gurley is what the rest of the offense revolves around. 20+ touches for Gurley the rest of the season. Let him earn his money.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's still a head scratcher if Gurley truly has an arthritic knee that will shorten his career , or if they are just being cautious. Some guys have a pain tolerance that's much higher than others . He looked pretty sharp in the few opportunities he's had this year . It's probably hard for him to get flowing when he's on the sideline half the game . Last night he looked like he was fired up and that's the Gurley I remember. Confident or being a little cocky is how some guys elevate their game .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It makes sense. If you can't win with Gurley on a 15 touch count then you gotta change it up. I mean what's the point if you're losing.

Once again I'll say they should have let Brown go. I love his running style but they can't rely on him. It's fuckin sad that only Todd Gurley can handle carries and make a difference and IMO what McVay needs to do is analyze his focus on speed/passing game type backs.

Having a depth RB they can rely on who can hammer the ball and be the horse is a need. IMO. Lots of options will be out there this offseason from mid to late picks to FA. But they gotta address that.

Oh and btw that's not a slam on Hendy. But if McVay wants to have a New England type approach he has to ensure the meat 'n potatoes are on the table.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
I’d like to see Gurley get more action in the vertical passing game. He’s done so much damage in his career on routes going downfield. I hate that 95% of his non screen routes are check down type stuff.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Gotta say it’s amusing how this board changes re.Gurley.

Three weeks ago: “Gurley’s done!”

Today: “Feed Gurley!”